August 06, 2020, 01:27:39 pm
News: If someone gives you assistance give them a Good Star
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Lost Topic Title  (Read 1487 times)
Gary

Stars: +0/-0

« on: March 09, 2004, 03:21:24 pm »

Hi All

I am in the middle of installing a shopping cart solution. I have a while to go until al the products I will be selling are in place.

The one thing I am unsure about is what Payment processing I should use.
I am not sure wether to go with the likes or Pay Pal or go for the big boys like World Pay. Obviously I want it to look as Professional as possible but not pay a fortune for something that probbably will not earn any money for a while.

There seem to be so many, I wondered whether any one here has had first hand experience.  dunno
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 03:23:03 pm by Gary » Logged

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 03:41:26 pm »

I am using paypal for my web hosting co (cos I'm not expecting to make millions (yet)) but the other day I was shopping for some shoes and the site that had what I wanted used paypal so I was turned off... but my GF said that she perfers sites with paypal... I think it all depends on the user... my theroy is that you have 4 types:

1) no nothing of computers so don't know or care (or wont use at all)
2) wont use unless you have the little 'lock' in IE (dont know about other browsers)
3) perfer paypal
4) know too much about computers so dont care (you have more chance of getting your CC# stolen when you go out to eat then at the most insecure website)

so, as the saying goes, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." [lincolin]

to add, i think paypal is a great service (just don't leave money in your account... someone here (i forget who) lost alot of money that way), especialy for the business owner as they keep everything in order and confirm addresses and whatnot.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 03:42:47 pm by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

mikeycorn

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 06:34:28 pm »

Usually, if I'm going to buy something and the only option is PayPal, I get a bit nervous about how legitimate the operation is, but that's just me, I'm sure the typical e-bay fan wouldn't think twice about it.

There was a project I was working on that had me doing a lot of research on this, although it fell through and I never got to the stage of actually making CC handling a reality with any of the merchant services providers I was considering, of all the links and possibilites, this is the one I made a mental note of:

Something I always make sure to do when ordering an online service like web hosting or in this case, credit card processing, is to contact them first with some questions and see how on the ball they are in getting back to you.  They were pretty speedy in their replies, so that's another thing I added to my mental bookmark.

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 07:00:24 pm »

My main concern (besides looking professional) (and I think it is Gary's as well) is the minimum monthly fee. The lowest I have found is $10 (and the one mikeycorn posted is $25) which on months where there is no income can feel like alot.

..... .....

mikeycorn

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 07:40:41 pm »

Quite true, there.  That was actually the cheapest I was able to find.  Care to post the $10 a month processors?  smile

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 07:50:07 pm »

this one is $20 and only charges when there is activity (but there is a $99 setup fee)

I think this is the one that I saw with the #10 but it looks like there may ba another fee

..... .....

Gary

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 01:21:06 pm »

Thanks for the reply guys.

The shopping cart  I bought is very flexible with onlie processing. It alreadys has around 10 - 15 of the payment gateways already set up. You just need to activate them and enter you id's etc. Pay pal is one of them.

as msimmons mentioned a lot of the others require merchant accounts setting up and monthly fees.

amitabh
Old Timer

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 01:36:43 am »

If you negotiate, the setup fee could easily be waived by the processors. There are several factors which should be taken into consideration while choosing your merchnat account and gateway. If you are planning on doing heavy transactions, it would be much better if you go in for your own merchant account. The fees might be a little higher intially, but it would save you money in the long run.

Take a look at these sites to understand the whole process in detail:

For calculating fees levied by various providers, you can download this Excel spreadsheet :

Gary

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 08:41:10 am »

Thanks amitabh

Those are great. I approached World Pay and this is the fees they sent me to set up

160 Annual fee
- 100 Set up fee
- 4.5% per Credit Card transaction (inc Banking Charges)
- 50p per Debit Card transaction
- WorldAlert (Anti Fraud system) Transaction Charge 0.06p

eek

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 03:02:51 pm »

@amitabh: I didn't read all of it but that was some good info thumb_yello thanks smile

..... .....

Behemoth
Old Timer

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 04:07:53 pm »

to add, i think paypal is a great service (just don't leave money in your account... someone here (i forget who) lost alot of money that way), especialy for the business owner as they keep everything in order and confirm addresses and whatnot.
What's this? Rachel's new to PayPal, and I don't use it. I know she prefers to keep her money in until it mounts up, so that she isn't charged to withdraw it...

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 04:31:56 pm »

My GF does the same thing... she is a chronic eBay'er (selling & buying) and she will leave her earnings in PayPal to spend again and has never had any trouble... but there is someone here (or used to be here) (cannot remember who it was) that had a bad experiance where a large sum of money dissapeared and PayPal was very unhelpful and I don't think they ever got it back...

..... .....

amitabh
Old Timer

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 06:38:15 pm »

Gary, I assume you are not in US, which leaves you with very few options. Infact, in that case, Worldpay might be your best solution, unless you can afford to setup a US entity of your company.

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 07:01:26 pm »

here is a post where the member I was thinking of describes their prob:

..... .....

Gary

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2004, 02:40:13 pm »

I have set it up with Paypal and Nochex at the moment.

Will look more into Worldpay if it takes off.

Thanks for the help guys

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: