October 22, 2020, 11:52:51 pm
News: If your question is answered please put [RESOLVED] in the subject of the initial message.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: [n/m] Mount NTFS or FAT32 drive (Red Hat 9)  (Read 3408 times)
MidgetsBro
Ancient Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« on: June 09, 2003, 04:10:40 am »

Can someone explain simply to me how to mount either of these types of volumes in RH9? I want to listen to all my music I have on this computer (triple boot xp, 2000, rh9). Currently I have all my files saved on an NTFS partition, but I can convert it to FAT32 if it\'s easier to mount in red hat.

Thanks smile

Sastraxi
Ancient Poster

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 04:30:34 am »

Possibly an easy way
Right click the desktop, find an option to add a link to a hard disk, browse to the partition you need (like /dev/hda1).

The harder but will-work way
Red Hat stock kernel (I believe) has NTFS read support, which is all you need. Go into a term (whether it be Konsole *shudder*, xterm, aterm, whatever), find out which partition the music resides on, and go into superuser mode (the command is su).

Now, type this in (don\'t worry about the $ or # at the start, it indicates normal or elevated priviledges)
$ su
Password:
# mkdir /mnt/ntfs_partition
# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/ntfs_partition
# chmod 777 /mnt/ntfs_partition

Now, you can browse to /mnt/ntfs_partition with any user and access your files... but you can\'t modify or add files (yet, anyway). This is due to Microsoft\'s opinion on letting others know how to access the New Technology File System (NTFS).

Got a problem? Make sure to post in the [span style=\'color:#ff0000\']appropriate[/span] forum!
Someone took the time to answer your question? If the answer is sufficient, show the person you appreciate their help with a follow-up message.
Problem solved? Edit your original post, and change the title to add [resolved] to the end of it.

MidgetsBro
Ancient Poster

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 05:57:34 am »

How do I find out what partition is the one music is on? I have like a billion partitions because I have 2 120GB hard drives. I know when installing red hat, it installed on /hda7 I believe. I tried looking in /dev/ to see whats in there, but there are hundreds of things, and I don\'t know which to look in. Sad

rjlohan
Founders

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 06:00:44 am »

find /dev -name *music*

---------------------------------------
-RJ Lohan
Ryan.J.Lohan@student.uts.edu.au
"Second?!? That's just a fancy word for 'loser'!!"

MidgetsBro
Ancient Poster

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 06:03:35 am »

thanks RJ, but it doesn\'t seem to be doing anything. Just goes to next console input line.
Code:
[joey@localhost joey]$ find /dev -name *music*

[joey@localhost joey]$

Sad I just wanna listen to my music in linux while I learn more about what I can and can\'t do. Sad

MidgetsBro
Ancient Poster

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 06:05:28 am »

on a side note, I do know how to eject the cdrom. smile laugh1

rjlohan
Founders

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2003, 07:35:23 am »

eject cd

Tough one, I agree.... laugh1

-RJ Lohan

rjlohan
Founders

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2003, 07:38:23 am »

Actually, that\'ll be because dev doesn\'t know what you\'ve got on the partitions, it just lists logical names to them. So unless you knew what disk it was on, searching /dev is no help to you.

And unless you want to write a shell script to mount each partition, search it for the files you want, and unmount them again, you\'ve either lost your data, or got a bit of remembering ahead of you. Grin

-RJ Lohan

MidgetsBro
Ancient Poster

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2003, 08:00:08 am »

Well, I can access it in windows, I just can\'t get to it in red hat.

PS, the hard part about ejecting the cdrom was the fact that I have two of them... imagine having to type \"eject cdrom1\" instead of just \"eject cdrom\". It\'s insane! I\'m now a certified linux guru!! yay

Would you happen to know how to write a shell script to mount just one drive, and search it? I\'m sure I can figure out some kinda loop or something.

parksie
Retired Member

Stars: +1/-0

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2003, 10:46:09 am »

Add a suitable entry to /etc/fstab and you can do it, for example:
Code:
/dev/hdb1      /mnt/ntfs          ntfs ro,umask=0          0       0
The umask=0 bit is because NTFS drives are mounted with only root access (since all ACLs are ignored). This tells it to allow read access for everyone. You might want to remove the umask bit, and use uid=1001 or whatever the UID of your normal account is (not root\'s 0...).

Unless stated otherwise, everything posted above is my opinion, and mine alone. If you can't work that out you're wasting my time...

parksie
Retired Member

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2003, 10:48:35 am »

And yeah, there\'s probably no other option than just going through all the partitions to find it. Alternatively, use fdisk -l to show you all your partitions, and match up the sizes with what you remember (you *do* remember how big all your partitions are, don\'t you? Or am I just a geek, heh).

Unless stated otherwise, everything posted above is my opinion, and mine alone. If you can't work that out you're wasting my time...

MidgetsBro
Ancient Poster

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2003, 04:32:22 pm »

Yes, I know how big my partitions are. Grin The one containing all downloads and music is, if I remember correctly, 111GB. smile

JCScoobyRS

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2003, 08:10:32 pm »

Stay with NTFS for security reasons and check out this:

Also...in the thread this takes you to, there is a guy named mdwatts, the file and instructions you need are in his signature.  HTH, Jeremy

He who listens well, speaks well.  bruce_h4h

MidgetsBro
Ancient Poster

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2003, 02:05:42 am »

How can I install fdisk? I don\'t have it on my system for some reason. I tried \"find fdisk\" but it couldn\'t find anything. Then I tried SUing as root and running it, same thing... Sad I just want to look at my partitions. :cry:

parksie
Retired Member

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2003, 02:35:49 am »

Try:
Code:
# find / -name fdisk

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: