April 19, 2021, 06:51:45 pm
News: GalahTech Community Based Technical Support!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 67743 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #330 on: January 11, 2021, 08:05:48 pm »

I've been pretty active, at least I've been trying to actively level. I'm getting close to 50 which I should hit sometime soon.

I kind of want to do the next ascension (I've completed 1 & 2 (didn't even know they had a 4)) but that takes time and IRL money...

I've been pretty active, at least I've been trying to actively level. I'm getting close to 50 which I should hit sometime soon. I left the PUG! fleet as they were looking to slim down and have more war fighters. I was never much for war fighting as I find it a waste of resources. I do kind of miss the fleet bosses dunno . Was surprised to see a fleet invite thrown my way today. I'm not sure if I'll take it, or if I'll just let it sit there. I'm busy enough with trying to get 50 Grin

Yeah, I was never fan of wars either, when I lived in VA I was more active and participated in quite a few. I've a few fleet invites hanging out as well (don't even know who from lol), I don't see a point in being in one though.

We had the very typical, eating Fondue with the kids, and watching Dinner for One which is a yearly thing on German TV. It's pretty funny especially since it is nearly all done in English. It's been around since the mid to late 60's. It's a German tradition and the kids like it Grin

I believe you posted a link here back in 07 or 08, that is a quirky tradition lol.

Nope it just has a big hopper to dump beans into and they get shaken down into the grinder, which makes things good for me. I only have to worry about cleaning out the basket every so often.

Ah, so it only grinds what it needs at the time, that sounds awesome!

Well good luck on updating your skill set. I've been pretty lax about that too, but I've been given some work at the office where I have to learn Node.js and Angular. This opens a bit of new stuff for me. The mostly how the languages are used. Javascript as a server side language? Crazy Wink

Thanks, I think my first step will be C#, which should be an easy enough transition since it's the same ide and whatnot. So far I've been doing some "challenges" on microsoft.com but since I'm starting at the beginning, it's too easy (like, I already know the difference in declaring variables between the two languages). After that I plan to look into Angular & React, since I see those two pop up in a lot of job postings. I looked at Node.js when I was in VA, it was really new, and my server guys were unsure about being able to run it, so I didn't go much further.
I need to figure out git too... I do have an actual work project in mind that I can use C# for, it's just an internal log reader (vs me running queries in the database directly) so nothing too fancy though.

So all our kids are in home school for the next couple of weeks in an attempt to bring the Corona infections down. So we've spent plenty of money on cameras, and headphones. My wife will have to start giving classes online too, so that means she also needs a new camera as the one built into her laptop is pretty weak, only 420p which makes it very grainy. We tested it tonight. So she'll probably need a camera like the one our sons are using which will give her a 1080p video. It's all just getting confusing.

heh, so glad I don't have to deal with all of that!

It's also pretty bad that my eldest (only 16) is getting better than I am with technology. I'm beginning to feel like a 12 o'clock flasher in my own home sofa
rofl_yello I don't think I've ever heard that label before but I instantly knew what you meant!

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #331 on: January 11, 2021, 08:16:36 pm »

rofl_yello I don't think I've ever heard that label before but I instantly knew what you meant!

I got it from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLTsSnGWMI it's pretty old Grin

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #332 on: January 11, 2021, 08:23:24 pm »

I got it from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLTsSnGWMI it's pretty old Grin
That was both funny and stressful at the same time laugh1

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #333 on: January 12, 2021, 05:18:04 pm »

That was both funny and stressful at the same time laugh1

Brings back old memories doesn't it yes

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #334 on: January 20, 2021, 03:49:23 pm »

Are you still using your Logitech MX Ergo? I'm in the market for a new trackball and was thinking of giving logitech another chance (the trackball they discontinued about 10 years was the most perfect ever, no one seems to have been able to recreate it, and I will never forgive them for no longer making it... unless...). Some reviews are saying the clicker goes out, which is fairly unavoidable depending on use (is why I'm looking to replace my current) but that's ok if everything else is good (and the clicker doesn't fail TOO soon).

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #335 on: January 22, 2021, 01:37:55 pm »

Yep still using it, and love it. Perfect fit in my hand, and works just fine. Since I play a lot of Minecraft so there's been plenty of clicking with it and it is still clicking just fine, nothing worn out. The battery is still holding good. I think I charge it once every couple of months or so and I'm not turning it off at night, just shutting down the computer. So yeah it's a good purchase.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #336 on: January 22, 2021, 07:09:25 pm »

Yep still using it, and love it. Perfect fit in my hand, and works just fine. Since I play a lot of Minecraft so there's been plenty of clicking with it and it is still clicking just fine, nothing worn out. The battery is still holding good. I think I charge it once every couple of months or so and I'm not turning it off at night, just shutting down the computer. So yeah it's a good purchase.

Good to know, thanks! I decided to go with the Elecom EX-G Pro M-XPT1 for now. I was using an Elecom EX-G M-XT3 but I noticed i was on the 2nd one, having replaced the other 1 year ago. previous to that, I was using Sanwa, but the ball on those isn't as smooth, almost sticky after a while.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #337 on: February 15, 2021, 08:09:50 pm »

So are you getting hit with the cold weather too? I've heard that there's snow and ice in Texas. Probably a good thing you've lived in Virginia before Grin

We've had temperatures at around -16C (about 3F) for the last week or so. It's supposed to start warming up a bit this week.

-- signature --

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #338 on: February 17, 2021, 05:33:37 pm »

So are you getting hit with the cold weather too? I've heard that there's snow and ice in Texas. Probably a good thing you've lived in Virginia before Grin

We've had temperatures at around -16C (about 3F) for the last week or so. It's supposed to start warming up a bit this week.

I just realized that if you don't have electricity you might not be able to answer my message sofa

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #339 on: February 18, 2021, 02:32:43 am »

I just realized that if you don't have electricity you might not be able to answer my message sofa
lol yeah, i got the email notice on my phone, probably could have logged in from there... but I'm a dinosaur when it comes to phones...

Yes to cold weather, and no to the VA experience being helpfull... Had I not lived through 5 real winters I would have panicked like everyone else... AND I duckING SHOULD HAVE!!!

what the absolute duck happened!?!?

I'm just working along, normal Monday. Toasty 68F in my office. My co-worker texts me that he doesn't have power. About an hour into my workday I lose internet... bummer, no worries, video game time... then about 6hrs later I lose power... One of the things I like about my apartment is I only have 1 shared wall, parking lot below me, top floor so no one above me... but that lends to not having very good insulation... and one wall of my place is 75% window...

It's been 35f in my apt for just under 48hrs lol ... (24 hrs w/o water, which I still don't have ) I finally got power back about 4hrs ago, I was afraid that they shut off gas when the shut off water, but that doesn't seem to be the case and I'm back up to 61F and slowly climbing (going to let it go to 72 (usually im happy with 68, incase it shuts down again).

SO yeah, this should have been a NON event... people should have stayed off the roads cos they aren't used to it and we don't have de-icers like up north, but other than that... wow. And I was totally unprepared because I had no idea. Fortunately I keep somewhat 'power outage ready' due to hurricanes but it's not 35f in my apt during those events lol...

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #340 on: February 18, 2021, 08:18:30 pm »

lol yeah, i got the email notice on my phone, probably could have logged in from there... but I'm a dinosaur when it comes to phones...

Well I'm just glad you are still safe Grin

Yes to cold weather, and no to the VA experience being helpfull... Had I not lived through 5 real winters I would have panicked like everyone else... AND I duckING SHOULD HAVE!!!

what the absolute duck happened!?!?

The entire state of Texas was unprepared. From my understanding it was so cold that the controls and gauges at the natural gas stations froze. Also when they installed the Wind power generators, they decided that since it doesn't get cold in Texas that they could save some money on winterizing them, and they froze up too. My first message was before I realized how serious the problem had become. Oh and since Texas has their own separate power grid no other state could provide extra power to assist. That's pretty insane.

I'm just working along, normal Monday. Toasty 68F in my office. My co-worker texts me that he doesn't have power. About an hour into my workday I lose internet... bummer, no worries, video game time... then about 6hrs later I lose power... One of the things I like about my apartment is I only have 1 shared wall, parking lot below me, top floor so no one above me... but that lends to not having very good insulation... and one wall of my place is 75% window...

Yeah and the building was probably not very insulated to begin with.

It's been 35f in my apt for just under 48hrs lol ... (24 hrs w/o water, which I still don't have ) I finally got power back about 4hrs ago, I was afraid that they shut off gas when the shut off water, but that doesn't seem to be the case and I'm back up to 61F and slowly climbing (going to let it go to 72 (usually im happy with 68, incase it shuts down again).

Sounds like they are starting to get things fixed. The weather is making the news here in Germany too.
The one time we heating problems in our house during winter we got down to about 60F.

SO yeah, this should have been a NON event... people should have stayed off the roads cos they aren't used to it and we don't have de-icers like up north, but other than that... wow. And I was totally unprepared because I had no idea. Fortunately I keep somewhat 'power outage ready' due to hurricanes but it's not 35f in my apt during those events lol...

Yeah, try to tell Texans that they need to stay off the roads. That's like telling the Pope to quit being Catholic.

Well hopefully you'll get water soon. Just remember to boil it before drinking. Most likely the water mains broke. Glad to hear you survived with all your fingers and toes intact.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #341 on: February 18, 2021, 08:38:52 pm »

Well I'm just glad you are still safe Grin
Thanks Grin

The entire state of Texas was unprepared. From my understanding it was so cold that the controls and gauges at the natural gas stations froze. Also when they installed the Wind power generators, they decided that since it doesn't get cold in Texas that they could save some money on winterizing them, and they froze up too. My first message was before I realized how serious the problem had become.
Sounds like the wind power (that the anti-green people were blaming) came back online first and is why we're able to be on now lol

Oh and since Texas has their own separate power grid no other state could provide extra power to assist. That's pretty insane.
Could be propaganda (the world is so ducked up these days no one knows who to believe) but i read that our deficit was so bad it wouldn't have mattered that much. We needed more than entire states generate, much less could spare, of course, anything would have lessened the blow.

Yeah and the building was probably not very insulated to begin with.
yep, it's an old quirky building, but I like it.

Sounds like they are starting to get things fixed. The weather is making the news here in Germany too.
The one time we heating problems in our house during winter we got down to about 60F.
I hope y'all fare better than tx did!!!

Yeah, try to tell Texans that they need to stay off the roads. That's like telling the Pope to quit being Catholic.
lol last time i remember "snow" here was 2009. I was at work on a high floor and from my office window could see roofs turning white (was maybe 1/16th inch) and then the reports of multi-car pileups started... After driving in snow, I would not attempt it without 4-wheel drive (which I have).

Well hopefully you'll get water soon. Just remember to boil it before drinking. Most likely the water mains broke. Glad to hear you survived with all your fingers and toes intact.
Have water, but it's ice cold (landlord probably needs to turn on the boiler room). We're under a boil watch but i don't plan to consume it for days regardless. Looking forward to a hot shower lol.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #342 on: April 02, 2021, 07:57:38 pm »

How's it going on your end? Have you fully recovered from Corona?

Things are going fine here. Still working from home. Wife has been helping at the vaccination station since she is trained to give the vaccination. Other than that it's pretty much groundhog day here. We except this week. I took some time off to recover from burn out Tongue

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #343 on: April 02, 2021, 08:42:34 pm »

How's it going on your end? Have you fully recovered from Corona?
That was a long time ago sofa But yes, doing well, no more rona or Snovid21 laugh1

Things are going fine here.
Good to hear!

Still working from home.
Same! We don't even have an office anymore laugh1 the spot my company rented since the 90s was sold (most likely will be torn down for a mid-rise like the rest of the neighborhood) and at first they gave us a price break on the rent, then decided they were going to raise it. Me and my co-workers (especially the ones that live an hour away) are hoping the boss realizes we don't need an office. I mention I can't go back to that crappy hardware anytime he brings up "when we get a new office" too.

Wife has been helping at the vaccination station since she is trained to give the vaccination.
That's good! Y'all vaccinated yet? I got my 1st dose of pfizer last week (I felt like crap for two days after... like a 20% case of rona), get the next one in 13 days.

Other than that it's pretty much groundhog day here.
If it wasn't for my bands I'd be going crazy... One of my band has canceled a lot during the pandemic, but I definitely have things on my calendar each week to break up the monotony. (we even played a show, I wore a mask the whole time but there weren't many other masks... was fairly low key, benefit for a friend to help with Snovid21 related costs)

We except this week. I took some time off to recover from burn out Tongue
Turns out... I was off today... I didn't know it till about 2pm (ironically when I received a work email that said "Sorry would not ask you today but" and I had to check my calendar to see if it was Saturday... sofa )

I think I'm FINALLY nearing the end of one of my freelance gigs (I think I say that at least once a month) but the other is still keeping me busy, so even when I'm off, I'm working (going to take the rest of the day for myself though, planning to play a video game).

One of my bands released a few tracks this week, it's on all the streaming platforms so if you want to hear, just search "Toxic Origin" (band name), the album is titled "No Love." It's not the band that I'm a huge fan of Another Tounge My other band is releasing an album soon (just waiting on the art to be finished) and that's the one I'm excited about.

This might sound cliche, or even offensive, but do y'all listen to polka? I grew up with it and still listen on occasion. I've had a particular track stuck in my head for about a month now but I don't know the name so I can't youtube it... I'm pretty sure I have it on cassette in a box so I have it on my to do list to dig it out just to figure it out rofl_yello

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #344 on: April 05, 2021, 06:18:16 am »

That was a long time ago sofa But yes, doing well, no more rona or Snovid21 laugh1

That's good to hear. I was afraid you might have had what they call here "long covid" even people who were only mildly sick have a hard time shaking off feeling sick, or cant' taste for months after they supposedly recovered.

Same! We don't even have an office anymore laugh1 the spot my company rented since the 90s was sold (most likely will be torn down for a mid-rise like the rest of the neighborhood) and at first they gave us a price break on the rent, then decided they were going to raise it. Me and my co-workers (especially the ones that live an hour away) are hoping the boss realizes we don't need an office. I mention I can't go back to that crappy hardware anytime he brings up "when we get a new office" too.

I can't say much about the hardware. During the warmer months last year my boss bought the entire development team new lighter and more powerful laptops. He even bought an extra monitor for me since I didn't have a safe way to transfer one of the ones I have at the office to home. I'm not sure what he's thinking about when it comes to office space though. I believe our lease ends at the end of either this or next year. He's been talking about moving the company to another location in the same city but hasn't made any real plans.

That's good! Y'all vaccinated yet? I got my 1st dose of pfizer last week (I felt like crap for two days after... like a 20% case of rona), get the next one in 13 days.
My wife got her first shot of BioNTech/Pfizer about a week ago. She will probably get her second dose next weekend. Other than that I'm still only priority 3 and they haven't finished with the prio 1s yet. Our biggest problem is not getting enough Vaccine. BioNTech just opened a new factory here in Germany with bottling happening in Belgium so they expect to start producing a lot more vaccine and faster, without having to worry about exporting from the US or Great Britain. If Germany and the EU have their way, the vaccines will stay in Europe or be sent to countries where they don't have enough vaccine production, instead of exporting to the US or Great Britain.

If it wasn't for my bands I'd be going crazy... One of my band has canceled a lot during the pandemic, but I definitely have things on my calendar each week to break up the monotony. (we even played a show, I wore a mask the whole time but there weren't many other masks... was fairly low key, benefit for a friend to help with Snovid21 related costs)

That's cool. Sadly I don't have too much in the way of diversions except painting, and then the problem is with the cold weather the only place where I can paint is the same place where I spend 8 hours a day working dunno I had a really hard time getting motivated to do anything really. I certainly spent too much time playing video games instead as an attempt at diversion, but that can only go so far. While I've been off I took down all my office stuff and set the area up so I can paint. Since then I've spent practically two days down there tinkering on a couple of painting projects. That is certainly helping.
Turns out... I was off today... I didn't know it till about 2pm (ironically when I received a work email that said "Sorry would not ask you today but" and I had to check my calendar to see if it was Saturday... sofa )
rofl_yello I'm not sure I can say I wouldn't realize I'm off work. Then again I have a wife and kids at home to remind me Grin.

I think I'm FINALLY nearing the end of one of my freelance gigs (I think I say that at least once a month) but the other is still keeping me busy, so even when I'm off, I'm working (going to take the rest of the day for myself though, planning to play a video game).
yay I've pretty much closed out any thought of doing freelance for a while. I would rather spend my off time doing other things.

One of my bands released a few tracks this week, it's on all the streaming platforms so if you want to hear, just search "Toxic Origin" (band name), the album is titled "No Love." It's not the band that I'm a huge fan of Another Tounge My other band is releasing an album soon (just waiting on the art to be finished) and that's the one I'm excited about.
Cool! I'll take a look. They are on Spotify right?

This might sound cliche, or even offensive, but do y'all listen to polka? I grew up with it and still listen on occasion. I've had a particular track stuck in my head for about a month now but I don't know the name so I can't youtube it... I'm pretty sure I have it on cassette in a box so I have it on my to do list to dig it out just to figure it out rofl_yello

Although I'm originally from the Midwest my parents weren't big Polka fans, mostly country and western. While I've heard a few polkas, I doubt I would recognize one from the other. Polka is also not really popular here in Germany specifically since it comes from the Czec Republic. After doing a quick search there apparently is a Polka museum in Texas http://texaspolkamuseum.com/ rofl_yello

-- signature --

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24   Go Up
Print

Jump to: