October 22, 2020, 11:09:43 pm
News: IF YOU ARE A MEMBER FROM THE ORIGINAL SITE AND CAN'T LOGIN. POST IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM (AS GUEST) AND AN ADMIN WILL ASSIST YOU TO ACCESS THE SITE!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 58684 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #315 on: September 15, 2020, 03:13:35 pm »

Looks pretty good. Nice to have fresh vegetables for salads and cooking.
So far I've consumed 2 or 3 red peppers, 1 orange, and two jalapenos. The peppers are the size of cherry tomatoes though... not like I'm used to seeing in the grocery store. I have killed 2 of the 4 plants in that box... having a little trouble with ants (i think) so i think some of my attempts to remedy that have made things worse Another Tounge I'm 90% done with a second box so I really need to get on that because I do have 6 plants ready to go (4 in new box and 2 to replace dead ones)

We have a rosemary plant outside our front door. It has surprised a lot of people since where we live it is usually too cold for Rosemary but ours has been there for almost a decade now even in snow and cold. We get fresh rosemary even in winter Grin.
That's awesome! I have two rosemary that are exploding! I need to figure out how to propagate via cuttings (failed at least once so far) because it seems to be the plant that does best on my balcony.

I was to that's why I sent him a message. LinkedIN does have its uses Another Tounge
I've thought of signing up, just never have.

Yeah, I don't do much freelance mostly because I want to spend my time away from work not programming.
I miss those days lol. I have lists of things away from my desk i want/need to do but lately if I do get a break, I'm to tired to think so I just play a video game.
It was never my intent to get bogged down in (or even do any) freelance. When I moved back, I had a month or two without, but an old client resurfaced. He always "paid as we go" and we never actually finished, when he disappeared years previous. I wouldn't have felt right turning him down since he essentially paid for an unfinished project (and I hadn't gotten [re]tangled up with bands and girls). That was manageable, and eventually it was coming to an end... and thats when a different old client (who is more of a contractor, i do the work for their clients) had what sounded like a fun (and more importantly little) project. Well, in hindsight, I think that little one was to re-establish the relationship and get me to say yes to a bigger one... and since I thought the other was ending... why not? That's when the first client decided we should put the original project on hold to do a quick little side project (which would make him money to be able to pay for the original project). Techincally we finished the quick little side project, and it is generating revenue, but he keeps thinking of enhancements lol...
I bill by the hour, so it's all good, but I definitely need more time for other things in my life (like, i really need to start playing my bass outside of rehearsal... especially since we're going back to the recording studio in about a month)

I even very rarely work on personal projects anymore. Mostly because I do enough development in my work time.
That's one of the things I do like about these side projects, I get the chance to do things a little different than my full time gig, learning new tricks.

So we had our vacation in Denmark. Everything went well, the boys finally learned to swim!
That's awesome! and important!

We had good weather for the most part, and some gorgeous views. I finally even got the chance to see the sun set over the ocean (kind of a bucket list thing of mine)  https://photos.app.goo.gl/gGff11B1tEpC59GC8.
Also awesome! I have to assume I've never seen it set over the ocean (might have appeared that way over the gulf, while in FL) but I have seen it rise (at least over the gulf).

On our return to Germany we took the Corona test and 24 hours later we all were given a clear bill of health, no virus present. Then on Tuesday the boys started school again. Right now the students have to wear a mask the entire day in school, only removing to drink and eat. They will have one more week of this and then they will only need to wear their masks when they are moving about but not while sitting at their desks.
Strange times we live in! I rarely go anywhere anymore so when I do (dentist, hair cut) the rules throw me off... "oops, I'm used to just walking in and plopping down on the couch, yes, I will stand here on this tape so you can take my temp"

On Monday our youngest will get his French Horn. He signed up for a musical class and has decided that he wants to learn the French Horn. So our house will have some interesting sounds emanating out of it for a while Grin.
That's awesome! I hope it goes well!

..... .....

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #316 on: October 02, 2020, 05:58:33 pm »

and we're back! The host apparently suffered a catastrophic failure over 48hours ago, email & web servers came back after 24 hours, my sql came back a few hours ago, and ms sql should be back soon... If I had to make a guess, they have all their servers virtualized on one physical server... doh

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #317 on: October 03, 2020, 01:01:54 pm »

and we're back! The host apparently suffered a catastrophic failure over 48hours ago, email & web servers came back after 24 hours, my sql came back a few hours ago, and ms sql should be back soon... If I had to make a guess, they have all their servers virtualized on one physical server... doh

I had a thought they dropped. When I checked back it also seemed that our database was corrupt, so I was able to go in and run a repair on the table in question.

I guess having everything on physical server is one way to keep the costs down.

-- signature --

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #318 on: October 16, 2020, 07:47:32 pm »

So I'm back in the office now once a week (on Wednesdays for me). We aren't all in at the same time but a pair at a time so that we can maintain distance from one another. This week was my second week with an office day. The first week went fine until I woke up the next day with a massive headache. I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with going to the office, but then on Saturday I caught a cold. Of course with the cold I'm not sure if I got it on my commute to the office and back on Wednesday or by going to the dentist on Friday.

Finally getting some major dental work done and it sucks. I spent 2 hours in the chair last Friday while the dentist drilled out broken teeth and crowns. Then screwed in three new studs for new crowns that I'll get at the end of the month. At least that will be done and I don't have to worry about it much more.

I've done some extension to our home network. I bought a RAID 1 network storage device. It's a WD MyCloud Ultra ex or something like that. It has two 4GB drives installed and I've turned them on in RAID 1 mode. We needed a better storage for our family photos and this seemed like the best idea. It should provide a bit better security to the drives in my desktop.

I also upgraded my desktop by cloning my SSD from a 120GB to a 500GB, then adding a second 1T HDD for internal storage. That along with the network storage we should have enough data storage for a while.

At work things are ok. We have a customer (pretty big car company), and they have insisted that we now list all the open source libraries we use, and what licenses they have for the versions that we are using. I've been involved with getting all that data down. I've decided that this is something that needs to be automated in the future. I'm just not sure how I'm going to do that yet, probably going to be a Maven plugin which generates it all for me. I'll have to see but it would be a start.

How's things going on your end? We've had one child who was in quarantine for 2 weeks because he had a couple of classmates test positive. Thankfully he tested negative but still had to stay in the house for two weeks, and by the end was getting a little stir crazy I think.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #319 on: October 17, 2020, 04:56:40 pm »

I had a thought they dropped. When I checked back it also seemed that our database was corrupt, so I was able to go in and run a repair on the table in question.
Yeah, not sure what they did about non-microsoft databases, on all my MS based ones, the "login" data was unable to be restored but if I sent them my "connection string" for each, they could fix it... I didn't feel like digging out all of them and some i don't even have access to w/o resetting the FTP password, so I'll just have to create a new login and change the string when/if i ever want some of my sites up again Another Tounge

I guess having everything on physical server is one way to keep the costs down.
Yeah, and it's a dirt cheap host. Still would have been nice if they had a mirror lol. Also lost 24hrs of data (it appears to have crashed right before the nightly backup so the restore was from the previous).

So I'm back in the office now once a week (on Wednesdays for me). We aren't all in at the same time but a pair at a time so that we can maintain distance from one another. This week was my second week with an office day. The first week went fine until I woke up the next day with a massive headache. I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with going to the office, but then on Saturday I caught a cold. Of course with the cold I'm not sure if I got it on my commute to the office and back on Wednesday or by going to the dentist on Friday.
Even when thing are "back to normal" this is a major point in shifting "normal" to working from home. I'm still at a loss on why my boss hasn't closed the office (as in thrown the equipment in the trash and terminated the lease), absolutely no point in paying the rent/bills there.

Finally getting some major dental work done and it sucks. I spent 2 hours in the chair last Friday while the dentist drilled out broken teeth and crowns. Then screwed in three new studs for new crowns that I'll get at the end of the month. At least that will be done and I don't have to worry about it much more.
I too have been back to the dentist but yours sounds much worse! Had two crowns (right next to eachother) drilled out yesterday, wearing temps till early next month. Already had 3 major fillings and have 3 more on the books, plus a new crown... if your boys don't brush properly & often, I suggest really getting after them because my not brushing the first 20 yrs of my life is really biting me now (I only have a few teeth that don't have fillings/crowns).

I've done some extension to our home network. I bought a RAID 1 network storage device. It's a WD MyCloud Ultra ex or something like that. It has two 4GB drives installed and I've turned them on in RAID 1 mode. We needed a better storage for our family photos and this seemed like the best idea. It should provide a bit better security to the drives in my desktop.
Sounds good! I rely on microsoft's cloud (one drive) for my storage/backups.

I also upgraded my desktop by cloning my SSD from a 120GB to a 500GB, then adding a second 1T HDD for internal storage. That along with the network storage we should have enough data storage for a while.
sounds like my setup except i have 1tb ssd as primary and 2tb hdd as secondary. Need to clean up the primary though... over 75% capacity at the moment. (only 50% on the secondary).

Speaking of upgrades, remember the older Alienware I bought on ebay? I can't remember if playing video games was on the intended usage list at the time of purchase, or if I just assumed that it would be able to... but it appears it is not up to snuff... lol...

At work things are ok. We have a customer (pretty big car company), and they have insisted that we now list all the open source libraries we use, and what licenses they have for the versions that we are using. I've been involved with getting all that data down. I've decided that this is something that needs to be automated in the future. I'm just not sure how I'm going to do that yet, probably going to be a Maven plugin which generates it all for me. I'll have to see but it would be a start.
I've been a bit disgruntled in my position... tired of being server admin, even more tired of trying to do it with less than a shoestring budget. Spending so much time trying to manage hardrive space while being able to retain as much historical data as possible, while getting behind in my do to lists... and since all my server admin stuff is "invisible" it seems like I'm not getting anything done at all.

How's things going on your end? We've had one child who was in quarantine for 2 weeks because he had a couple of classmates test positive. Thankfully he tested negative but still had to stay in the house for two weeks, and by the end was getting a little stir crazy I think.
Same 'ol here... no show to go to, none to play. Still have band rehearsal once a week at least. Going into the studio next sat to record all the songs we don't currently have recorded so that will be fun. Otherwise just working (at fullime gig), or working (at freelance gig1), or working (at freelance gig2), or the rare occurrence i play a video game Another Tounge

..... .....

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: