August 09, 2020, 02:31:47 pm
News: If your question is answered please put [RESOLVED] in the subject of the initial message.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 55330 times)
Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #300 on: May 21, 2020, 06:24:16 am »

How's it going? Still hanging on?

We're starting to open up here a bit now. Although our planned vacation to Denmark has been canceled. We're working on rebooking everything for late summer. Hopefully that will work out.

At least we are able to socialize a bit now. Last Sunday we visited some friends. Spent the afternoon in their garden with appropriate distances. It was nice. The husband was saying that it's difficult for his band since they can't play together. They try to talk once a week though zoom or skype.

Hope everything is good on your end.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #301 on: May 21, 2020, 03:17:44 pm »

How's it going? Still hanging on?
Same 'ol here. Still working from home, with no sign of that changing. Our office is an older building in an area where people want to put "mid-rises." We found out like the day before the pandemic that our landlord sold and the buyer was finishing the details on buying the building next door (the other side had already been transformed in the past 10 years and 10 years before that across the street had been, so no real surprise). The past couple months they've given us reduced rent, and my boss says if they raise it, we'll just move out. I don't have an issue with that, my equipment here is much better anyway.
Speaking of, I realized that my computer only had 8gb ram. it maxes at 32, and since that 8gb was 2x4, I just got 2x8 more so it's at 24gb now Grin I honestly never noticed it but since I don't have band stuff, or shows, and my freelance is winding down, I've resumed a video game or two and some were ram intensive.

We're starting to open up here a bit now. Although our planned vacation to Denmark has been canceled. We're working on rebooking everything for late summer. Hopefully that will work out.
Yeah, it's a bit confusing what's open and what the "rules" are now. Bars can be open, but everyone has to sit, no one is allowed to go to the bar and the bartender brings drinks. How that pertains to venues is uncertain. We had a show May 30th that we thought was happening, but has been postponed till who knows when. We have one on the books for June 6th, waiting to hear from the venue, and supposedly just booked one for June 12th... we shall see.

At least we are able to socialize a bit now. Last Sunday we visited some friends. Spent the afternoon in their garden with appropriate distances. It was nice. The husband was saying that it's difficult for his band since they can't play together. They try to talk once a week though zoom or skype.
One of my bands has gotten together once (on the 14th) and the other one has gotten together 3 or 4 times. Other than that, and a once or twice a week visit from a ladyfriend, it's just been me & the cats Another Tounge I did go to church for mothers day :o (was masked up for that, it's a tiny church even when everyone is in attendance, might have been 20 people there at the time).

Hope everything is good on your end.
Thanks, same to ya!

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #302 on: June 01, 2020, 08:55:09 pm »

Woo Hoo Vacation finally. Ok more of a stay-cation since we're not going anywhere. At least I've got a couple of weeks off to try to unplug a bit. Stress with working from home has run me pretty ragged.

How's things for you?

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #303 on: June 02, 2020, 01:53:23 pm »

Woo Hoo Vacation finally. Ok more of a stay-cation since we're not going anywhere.
Does the wife have a honey-do list for ya?

At least I've got a couple of weeks off to try to unplug a bit.
Sounds nice! I'm happy when I ignore work/projects for an evening, then feel guilty later Another Tounge Remind me to not take on any more freelance ever again sofa

Stress with working from home has run me pretty ragged.
I enjoy working from home quite a bit. Granted, I can get distracted at times, and there's been a time or two I've been so into my project that I kept working past quitting time.

How's things for you?
So far so good, we've been having a bit of up & down weather and that does my head in. Hurricane season started yesterday and we're already on the third storm (the first two were off the east coast)... The one currently brewing is one to keep an eye on though... could be a direct hit, will know later this week.

I'm assuming since we haven't heard from the venue, that our show this weekend is not happening, but I'm pretty sure the one on the 12th is (since that venue had a show last weekend).

I bought an older alienware laptop off ebay. The person who it's going to belong to had two criteria, purple lights and 11" (and they've always wanted an alienware)... BUT... I wasn't thinking about older hardware and windows 10 not always playing well... it seems to be running fine (in that regard) though... BUT... after a few days of trying to find proper drivers, and workarounds, the hard drive threw an error in the "diagnostics" and I'm seeing a "battery not recognized" error on boot...
I was already planning to upgrade the drive (is a spinning disk, so SSD would be a big improvement) so I've already ordered one... going to put a fresh win7 installation and see how that goes. Other than **my** desire to have all the latest features, I couldn't come up with a good reason of why she needs win10 (she hasn't had a computer for as long as I know, win7 might be what she had last anyway).
The battery thing though... I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #304 on: June 13, 2020, 03:55:31 pm »

Does the wife have a honey-do list for ya?

Yeah I had a few things that she wanted to get done. I did my best to procrastinate sofa but then we finally did them today.

Sounds nice! I'm happy when I ignore work/projects for an evening, then feel guilty later Another Tounge Remind me to not take on any more freelance ever again sofa

Deal! Grin  Funny enough my old company called back in April and asked for a meeting. I told them that I could only offer a remote meeting, and they said they would get back to me. I've still not heard from them. A couple of days ago a freelancer that worked with me at their company and has been helping with the same project as I've been contacted me and said that in April one of the guys on the team came down with Covid-19 and was out for several weeks. The guy who got sick is younger than me, and a bit sportier and he was down for three weeks. Looks like I missed a bullet there.
I enjoy working from home quite a bit. Granted, I can get distracted at times, and there's been a time or two I've been so into my project that I kept working past quitting time.

While I can work from home I do like to communicate with my team members. We are such a small company we tend to be like a second family. The other thing stressing me out is that I we had the kids at home trying to get their work done, and since my wife's work is something that can't really be done remotely, it was a bit stressful when she had to go visit a new baby. Although she took all the precautions it was a constant worry in the back of my head that she might catch something.

So far so good, we've been having a bit of up & down weather and that does my head in. Hurricane season started yesterday and we're already on the third storm (the first two were off the east coast)... The one currently brewing is one to keep an eye on though... could be a direct hit, will know later this week.
I'm so glad not to live near the ocean. Those kinds of storms are scary. Sometimes we get storms that make it all the way down from the North Sea. Germany isn't really all that big of a landmass Grin. This weekend we've had our first summer weather. Going to start storming tonight and all day tomorrow though.

I'm assuming since we haven't heard from the venue, that our show this weekend is not happening, but I'm pretty sure the one on the 12th is (since that venue had a show last weekend).
Well here's hoping that your shows will go ahead without problems Grin.

My eldest son has been playing around with my old acoustic guitar for a while now, and I showed him how to read Tab. He was so happy! He's been trying to learn different songs using Tab that he can find online. So we just bought him a book which has some old classics with Tab and CDs to hear the music played.

I bought an older alienware laptop off ebay. The person who it's going to belong to had two criteria, purple lights and 11" (and they've always wanted an alienware)... BUT... I wasn't thinking about
older hardware and windows 10 not always playing well... it seems to be running fine (in that regard) though... BUT... after a few days of trying to find proper drivers, and workarounds, the hard drive threw an error in the "diagnostics" and I'm seeing a "battery not recognized" error on boot...
I was already planning to upgrade the drive (is a spinning disk, so SSD would be a big improvement) so I've already ordered one... going to put a fresh win7 installation and see how that goes. Other than **my** desire to have all the latest features, I couldn't come up with a good reason of why she needs win10 (she hasn't had a computer for as long as I know, win7 might be what she had last anyway).
The battery thing though... I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I've always heard Alienware made good hardware. It's usually out of my price range. At least when it is new. I recently found out that a YouTube Minecrafter that I watch has his gaming/recording system setup using Win8. His problem is that after every update on Win10 he has to reconfigure all his audio devices.

We're going to be celebrating Father's day a week early. So tomorrow, I've got a Minecraft server setup for the boys and I to play on. They are all excited. Funny enough this was my wife's idea. She's going to play server and bring food and drinks to us at our desks so we can continue playing all day.

Last weekend we visited my wife's parents. It was a long train trip, especially since we had to wear masks for the entire time. It was a nice visit though. My in-laws really wanted us to visit, so we made sure that we were a good week home before hand so that we were fairly sure we didn't pickup Corona.

On Monday I'm back to work, in home office. I'm feeling pretty refreshed and kind of looking forward to getting started again. Although I'm going to miss waking up late and not doing anything until afternoon. Stay at home vacation can still be pretty ok Grin

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #305 on: June 14, 2020, 02:28:16 pm »

Funny enough my old company called back in April and asked for a meeting. I told them that I could only offer a remote meeting, and they said they would get back to me. I've still not heard from them. A couple of days ago a freelancer that worked with me at their company and has been helping with the same project as I've been contacted me and said that in April one of the guys on the team came down with Covid-19 and was out for several weeks. The guy who got sick is younger than me, and a bit sportier and he was down for three weeks. Looks like I missed a bullet there.
Yeah! That's wild, go buy a lotto ticket!

While I can work from home I do like to communicate with my team members. We are such a small company we tend to be like a second family.
We're a 5-6 person company, and for the most part have all been there for 15-20 years, so I get that. We've been keeping in touch w/emails & text, and a few phone calls here & there.

The other thing stressing me out is that I we had the kids at home trying to get their work done,
heh, yeah, two of my co-workers have school age children at home and when I say I don't care if we go back or not, they threaten to send them to me.

and since my wife's work is something that can't really be done remotely, it was a bit stressful when she had to go visit a new baby. Although she took all the precautions it was a constant worry in the back of my head that she might catch something.
Or give it. I'm pretty isolated (not counting Friday night) but still concerned that for all my precautions I'll catch it some stupid way (like from a piece of mail or something) and accidentally spread it...

I'm so glad not to live near the ocean. Those kinds of storms are scary.
I guess I'm used to them lol. First storm I remember was in '83 (and I know I was in one before it but only have faint images in my minds eye). Here I am 50mi from the coast so not as bad as when I grew up right on it.

Sometimes we get storms that make it all the way down from the North Sea. Germany isn't really all that big of a landmass Grin. This weekend we've had our first summer weather. Going to start storming tonight and all day tomorrow though.
I've come to learn that "barometric" headaches are not that uncommon, but there's not way to prevent. Only thing that seems to help people is dosing up on sinus medication when it starts coming... I don't like taking medicines though...

Well here's hoping that your shows will go ahead without problems Grin.
Friday went well! We're on our third drummer and I think he's perfect. The 2nd drummer wasn't in for that long, he was great, still is a good friend, but just wasn't as enthusiastic as I wanted and I felt was bringing the "vibe" down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp-zcbYzFW8

My eldest son has been playing around with my old acoustic guitar for a while now, and I showed him how to read Tab. He was so happy! He's been trying to learn different songs using Tab that he can find online. So we just bought him a book which has some old classics with Tab and CDs to hear the music played.
That's awesome!!

I've always heard Alienware made good hardware. It's usually out of my price range. At least when it is new.
Same... Picked up this one for $400. The specs aren't spectacular, about the same as my HP that is about 7yrs old (which runs win 10 jsut fine... lol) not counting the video card, only because I didn't think to compare them. Will benchmark them eventually.

I recently found out that a YouTube Minecrafter that I watch has his gaming/recording system setup using Win8. His problem is that after every update on Win10 he has to reconfigure all his audio devices.
When I was setting it up, I recall there was one "I guess thats a win10 thing" feature I missed but I can't even remember what it was. I prefer the win10 start menu by far. Otherwise, seems fine.

We're going to be celebrating Father's day a week early. So tomorrow, I've got a Minecraft server setup for the boys and I to play on. They are all excited. Funny enough this was my wife's idea. She's going to play server and bring food and drinks to us at our desks so we can continue playing all day.
lol that sounds very fun!

On Monday I'm back to work, in home office. I'm feeling pretty refreshed and kind of looking forward to getting started again. Although I'm going to miss waking up late and not doing anything until afternoon. Stay at home vacation can still be pretty ok Grin
I can't remember the last time i got to wake up late... These cats... I can't remember if I said before, but my eldest (17 in aug) was diagnosed with the early stages of kidney disease. what that means for now is prescription food & weekly IV fluids.
The weekly IV isn't that big of a deal, I take him to the vet and with the virus thing happening, i don't even get out of the jeep. They come out to get him, give him his fluids, then bring him back out. whole process from leaving to getting back home is usually less than an hour.
but the feeding... first off, the food isn't cheap, so I have the other cat eating a different food which isnt' that cheap either, but it was what I could get him to eat since he wants the prescription food too... In fact, both cats would be much happier eating the others food... so I have to separate them. But here's where the life ruining part comes in... so when I first started (not too long before the work from home situation, which makes it feel like part of that) the schedule was:
7am while getting ready for work
12 noon while on lunch break
5pm after getting home from work
9pm before winding down for bed
BUT... that 7am keeps getting earlier and earlier... this morning was 4 ducking 30 am... for a while i was thinking "ok from 9pm to 7am is a bit of time, they can't help being hungry" but Friday night, I was out till midnight or so, and as a result they ate at 5pm, midnight, and had me up to feed them again at 5:30 am... (i managed to go back to sleep for a bit, but of course, eating that first meal so early means lunch is also 2h ahead of schedule... so they woke me up again before 10am... I'm going to try to push everything as late as possible today, starting to think maybe they need more food over the course of the day... right now its 1 can, .5, .5, and 1. for a total of 3 cans in a 24h period... maybe if i up those halves to wholes... will email the vet tomorrow.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #306 on: July 16, 2020, 07:09:49 pm »

Well our official state currently is that we will remain in home office until September at the earliest. So my wife decided that I need to have a proper work space instead of working on the couch. So we ordered from Ikea (and a few other places). I now have a workspace in our basement, and it's nice. The legs are motor driven and will raise up to about 120cm (almost 4 feet).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/V8PsrV33bD62H7h96

Back on the left side is a tissue dispenser that also works as a headphone caddy. I call him Dum-Dum.

On Saturday I'll be going to pickup my new laptop. My boss recently shelled out for new laptops for all the developers. So we all get nice Dell Precision 5550 laptops with docking stations, and apparently a backpack which my boss is having personalized for each of us.

This week I found out I'm going to be the technical lead for a new customer project. I've already been technical lead for another project (still am actually), and I'll be working with our other project manager.

Our weather has been cool and rainy the last couple of days. Which is nice actually.

How's things going for you? I've been following the news and it isn't sounding too good there in the US right now.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2020, 02:27:05 pm »

Well our official state currently is that we will remain in home office until September at the earliest.
I thought (in typical american fashion) it was only the US still dealing with this sofa Hell, for a bit I let the media convince me it was only TX that was "failing" at getting things under control. I really don't know what to believe anymore with all of this, but it doesn't really matter too much since i never go anywhere (only thing I did before the apocalypse was see live music, and that's not an option) anyway.

So my wife decided that I need to have a proper work space instead of working on the couch.
heh, I guess that's one of the good things about being a workaholic, I was already set in that regard. I only went from doing 8hrs at work and 8hrs at home to 16hrs at home laugh1

So we ordered from Ikea (and a few other places). I now have a workspace in our basement, and it's nice. The legs are motor driven and will raise up to about 120cm (almost 4 feet).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/V8PsrV33bD62H7h96
That is awesome! How often do you raise it? Remember the one i designed/built (probably 7 years ago)? When I first did it, I would raise it in the morning and work all day, then lower it in the evening for video game time.

Back on the left side is a tissue dispenser that also works as a headphone caddy. I call him Dum-Dum.
rofl_yello I read through the post before looking at the picture, did not expect that, he's awesome!

On Saturday I'll be going to pickup my new laptop. My boss recently shelled out for new laptops for all the developers. So we all get nice Dell Precision 5550 laptops with docking stations, and apparently a backpack which my boss is having personalized for each of us.
Damn, and here I am getting excited that my boss approved me to spend $10 to beef up our managed backups...

This week I found out I'm going to be the technical lead for a new customer project. I've already been technical lead for another project (still am actually), and I'll be working with our other project manager.
Congrats!! yay

Our weather has been cool and rainy the last couple of days. Which is nice actually.
Lucky... Triple digits here... My electric bill is about $60 higher than this time last year (different apartment) and my ac is having a little bit of trouble keeping up, but it's still a lot better than it was before i had them repair the duct work (I had to diagnose it, they were going to just put in a window unit AC... bought a cheap endoscope and found out there were breeches in the duct so my cool air was just going in the attic and not the living room...)

How's things going for you? I've been following the news and it isn't sounding too good there in the US right now.
on which front... lol... it seems this place is falling apart according to the news, but in reality it's same as it ever was (just with masks).

How's your boy's guitar playing coming along? The amp I'm playing in the video from my last post belonged to the guy on the far right of the screen (he's normally a bassist, and his main band was playing after us). I tried it out when he first got it (he's always buying/selling/trading) and fell in love with it. A couple weeks ago he called me up to let me know he was planning to sell it (lol) and was giving me first crack at it, so I called in some debts and now it's mine!

I can't remember if I've mentioned but I started a "balcony garden" when all this started happening (I actually had it planned well before, just not time/motivation). A week or two ago I harvested my first bell peppers. I ate them and saved the seeds, planted a few and they're starting to sprout! Something about gardening is it can get pretty damn complex and one thing I keep forgetting is to figure out what to plant when... I don't think it's a huge deal here (since we have two seasons, hot & hotter) but not sure (either way, i have more seeds for next "season"). I did the same with a couple jalapenos. So in theory, my 3 plants (two diff bell and one jalapeno) should be 13 soon lol.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2020, 03:24:13 pm »

I thought (in typical american fashion) it was only the US still dealing with this sofa Hell, for a bit I let the media convince me it was only TX that was "failing" at getting things under control. I really don't know what to believe anymore with all of this, but it doesn't really matter too much since i never go anywhere (only thing I did before the apocalypse was see live music, and that's not an option) anyway.

Germany is doing well enough. We should be able to have our vacation in Denmark at the end of August. We're not completely over everything yet though. There's still the threat of a second wave which has a lot of people worried. Apparently on the Spanish island of Majorca they closed the party mile because people weren't keeping to the required social distancing. We'll have to see how bad things get here again after the vacation period is over.

From what I'm hearing in the news about the US, it seems it is pretty piecemeal how things are going. Arizona is having a horrible time getting things under control.
heh, I guess that's one of the good things about being a workaholic, I was already set in that regard. I only went from doing 8hrs at work and 8hrs at home to 16hrs at home laugh1

Eh, my wife wouldn't let me work that much. If I spend too long in the basement she comes down to tell me it's time for a break, or that the day is over. Grin

That is awesome! How often do you raise it? Remember the one i designed/built (probably 7 years ago)? When I first did it, I would raise it in the morning and work all day, then lower it in the evening for video game time.

Since mine is electric I usually raise it and stand for a good couple of hours during the day. Depends on how I'm feeling. Sometimes I do the time all at once and sometimes I'll do a bit in the morning and more in the afternoon. It's nice to have the option, and it helps my back too.

rofl_yello I read through the post before looking at the picture, did not expect that, he's awesome!

Yeah I'm enjoying him. I also have a little squishy face under the monitor. It's ugly as sin but very useful when you just need to squish something. The monitor came from my boss, he found out I had been working all this time with just my laptop and no second monitor he insisted that he order and send me a new monitor.

Damn, and here I am getting excited that my boss approved me to spend $10 to beef up our managed backups...

Yeah I was surprised that he did it too. Although, I'm figuring he's got a financial gain in mind here. He can possibly write it off. With what's going on with incentive packages and money thrown around by the government I think he's trying to modernize things a bit.

Lucky... Triple digits here... My electric bill is about $60 higher than this time last year (different apartment) and my ac is having a little bit of trouble keeping up, but it's still a lot better than it was before i had them repair the duct work (I had to diagnose it, they were going to just put in a window unit AC... bought a cheap endoscope and found out there were breeches in the duct so my cool air was just going in the attic and not the living room...)

Oh I'm glad it's been cooler here. Air conditioning is not common in homes in central Europe, so really hot summers suck. We did buy the boys some fans for their rooms, and I think they've used them once. Actually this has been the closest we've had to a proper summer for Germany in a long time. So much so that many people think there's something wrong laugh1

on which front... lol... it seems this place is falling apart according to the news, but in reality it's same as it ever was (just with masks).

Yeah possibly.

How's your boy's guitar playing coming along?

He's still plinking away at it. I figure he'll do more with it once school is finally out at the end of next week. He'll have more time to focus. You remember what it was like at 15. So much to do and so little time to do it Grin

The amp I'm playing in the video from my last post belonged to the guy on the far right of the screen (he's normally a bassist, and his main band was playing after us). I tried it out when he first got it (he's always buying/selling/trading) and fell in love with it. A couple weeks ago he called me up to let me know he was planning to sell it (lol) and was giving me first crack at it, so I called in some debts and now it's mine!
Sweet!
I can't remember if I've mentioned but I started a "balcony garden" when all this started happening (I actually had it planned well before, just not time/motivation). A week or two ago I harvested my first bell peppers. I ate them and saved the seeds, planted a few and they're starting to sprout! Something about gardening is it can get pretty damn complex and one thing I keep forgetting is to figure out what to plant when... I don't think it's a huge deal here (since we have two seasons, hot & hotter) but not sure (either way, i have more seeds for next "season"). I did the same with a couple jalapenos. So in theory, my 3 plants (two diff bell and one jalapeno) should be 13 soon lol.

Nothing better than self grown vegetables. My niece did something similar on her balcony and ended up with like 100 different plants and didn't know what to do with them. She didn't expect them all to germinate! She was surprised.

We also grow vegetables in our garden, and we have a bunch of raspberry bushes, that are doing their best to take over our garden. I cut them back every year and every year they grow back bigger and bigger Grin

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #309 on: July 17, 2020, 07:49:43 pm »

Eh, my wife wouldn't let me work that much. If I spend too long in the basement she comes down to tell me it's time for a break, or that the day is over. Grin
The joys of living alone... lol.

Since mine is electric I usually raise it and stand for a good couple of hours during the day. Depends on how I'm feeling. Sometimes I do the time all at once and sometimes I'll do a bit in the morning and more in the afternoon. It's nice to have the option, and it helps my back too.
Yeah, mine was a pain to raise & lower, I eventually stopped doing it...

Yeah I'm enjoying him. I also have a little squishy face under the monitor. It's ugly as sin but very useful when you just need to squish something. The monitor came from my boss, he found out I had been working all this time with just my laptop and no second monitor he insisted that he order and send me a new monitor.
[snip]
Yeah I was surprised that he did it too. Although, I'm figuring he's got a financial gain in mind here. He can possibly write it off. With what's going on with incentive packages and money thrown around by the government I think he's trying to modernize things a bit.
Y'all hiring? laugh1

Oh I'm glad it's been cooler here. Air conditioning is not common in homes in central Europe, so really hot summers suck. We did buy the boys some fans for their rooms, and I think they've used them once. Actually this has been the closest we've had to a proper summer for Germany in a long time. So much so that many people think there's something wrong laugh1
I think something is wrong unsure

He's still plinking away at it. I figure he'll do more with it once school is finally out at the end of next week. He'll have more time to focus. You remember what it was like at 15. So much to do and so little time to do it Grin
I think i was 15 when I started (actually got my first guitar at 12, but never practiced) and it was always in my hands. like, if I was sitting around watching tv, i was practicing. or being on the phone (which i was a lot back then), I'd be playing. (I need to get back to that lol... now i don't touch it outside of rehearsal...

Nothing better than self grown vegetables.
The daily watering can be a bit annoying Another Tounge

My niece did something similar on her balcony and ended up with like 100 different plants and didn't know what to do with them. She didn't expect them all to germinate! She was surprised.
lol, that's a lot!

We also grow vegetables in our garden, and we have a bunch of raspberry bushes, that are doing their best to take over our garden. I cut them back every year and every year they grow back bigger and bigger Grin
doesn't sound like a bad problem to have lol

..... .....

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: