September 19, 2020, 11:54:44 am
News: If someone gives you assistance give them a Good Star
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 57109 times)
Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #285 on: January 18, 2020, 09:48:51 pm »

Wow, no, I haven't laugh1 Moving was terrible! Took the movers longer than I thought, so I started having anxiety about how much it was going to cost. Then the gas guy they sent the day before to turn on my service caused a leak, so another one had to come out and re-do his work. I got spider bites that are just not going away. Started the move Tuesday, didn't finish till Saturday Another Tounge Granted, I wasn't 100% packed, and I was putting in my 8 hours a day at the office Thurs & Fri (and band rehearsals Weds & Thurs)...
All moved in and started to get things unpacked & organized (while making time for freelance & bands (and job)), I think, once the dust settles, a lot of things will be better than the old place, but the new place has it's share of quirks.

Crap I forgot you were moving. I hate moving. I'm not moving again unless they take me out feet first. Honestly one of the reasons I'm kind of glad I didn't get the Mojang job. I really don't like moving Wink

Well hope you get settled in ok.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #286 on: January 20, 2020, 04:58:42 pm »

Crap I forgot you were moving. I hate moving. I'm not moving again unless they take me out feet first. Honestly one of the reasons I'm kind of glad I didn't get the Mojang job. I really don't like moving Wink

Well hope you get settled in ok.
heh yeah, I really don't remember it being that bad before, not sure why this time seemed to suck so bad. Tomorrow will be two weeks in the new place, it has its quirks but I'm getting used to them (still have boxes everywhere though). Overall I think it's better than my last place for most things, and should be even better once I get organized and into the new groove.

One thing i ran into this weekend though... ducking huge roach in a cabinet... I have a bit of a phobia so that was upsetting... My current plan is to paint the insides of the cabinets white (currently 70s brown), not sure if that will do anything, but it will make it easier to spot them/reassure myself i'm not about to reach in to get something and a roach be right there. They're just something to deal with down here, and they were even more common where i grew up closer to the coast, so I've been pretty fortunate to not having any in my dwellings for the past decade.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #287 on: January 20, 2020, 06:33:16 pm »

heh yeah, I really don't remember it being that bad before, not sure why this time seemed to suck so bad. Tomorrow will be two weeks in the new place, it has its quirks but I'm getting used to them (still have boxes everywhere though). Overall I think it's better than my last place for most things, and should be even better once I get organized and into the new groove.

One thing i ran into this weekend though... ducking huge roach in a cabinet... I have a bit of a phobia so that was upsetting... My current plan is to paint the insides of the cabinets white (currently 70s brown), not sure if that will do anything, but it will make it easier to spot them/reassure myself i'm not about to reach in to get something and a roach be right there. They're just something to deal with down here, and they were even more common where i grew up closer to the coast, so I've been pretty fortunate to not having any in my dwellings for the past decade.

Ewww roaches. Hate to say it if there's one there's more. What I would suggest is to buy some Boric Acid and all put it around where the floor and walls meet, and then open the power outlets and shoot some up in there. It should help take bunch of the nasty buggers out.

Completely understand the phobia. They make me pretty squeamish just looking at them. We had a ton of them while we were in Oman back in 2006. They would come out of the drains, and then die in the sinks. It was horrible.

Hopefully you won't have too much problem with them.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #288 on: January 20, 2020, 07:26:24 pm »

Ewww roaches. Hate to say it if there's one there's more.
Unfortunately I'm pretty familiar. Being that I made almost two weeks without one leaves me a little hopeful. Typically the huge ones prefer outdoors and only come in if they are "invited" so I've always tried to make my places very unwelcoming (light colors, cold, clean).

What I would suggest is to buy some Boric Acid and all put it around where the floor and walls meet, and then open the power outlets and shoot some up in there. It should help take bunch of the nasty buggers out.
I've done that in places where I had a larger issue (like seeing multiple in a week (or even day)) and I will probably get some for the outside (entry door & window sills). I read Saturday, after seeing the bastard, a lot of sites suggesting Bay Leaves. I had never heard of that before so went and bought $10 worth of both fresh & dried. Put some behind the refrigerator & stove, then some in condiment bowls in each cabinet & pantry. We'll see...
The landlord is supposed to spray sometime this week but I'm not sure what that entails. (He hasn't responded to my question of if he will have someone paint or if I'll have to Another Tounge )

Completely understand the phobia. They make me pretty squeamish just looking at them. We had a ton of them while we were in Oman back in 2006. They would come out of the drains, and then die in the sinks. It was horrible.
You'd think that as much exposure I had to them growing up, even till my 20s, I would be desensitised...

Hopefully you won't have too much problem with them.
Thanks!

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #289 on: January 21, 2020, 09:32:40 pm »

Speaking of bugs, my eldest has a school presentation to give tomorrow. He and his team mates chose the topic, "Insects as a replacement for meat, and how it affects the climate". So I spent this evening helping him make cricket fritters. Basically we bought a bunch of dried crickets, and mixed them in a pancake batter and then fried them in oil. Then we brushed them with honey and added some toasted sesame seeds.

No, I have (will) not tried them. They are going to give them out to the teachers as samples. Yes my son did eat bugs as part of the practical portion of the presentation. He and his team made pizza with grasshoppers. He said that grasshoppers taste like nuts and so don't really go well on pizza. This coming from the boy who likes pineapple on his pizza Roll Eyes

We'll see how things go tomorrow. I hope at least that he gets a decent grade. He's put a lot of effort into it.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #290 on: January 21, 2020, 10:30:34 pm »

Speaking of bugs, my eldest has a school presentation to give tomorrow. He and his team mates chose the topic, "Insects as a replacement for meat, and how it affects the climate". So I spent this evening helping him make cricket fritters. Basically we bought a bunch of dried crickets, and mixed them in a pancake batter and then fried them in oil. Then we brushed them with honey and added some toasted sesame seeds.

No, I have (will) not tried them. They are going to give them out to the teachers as samples. Yes my son did eat bugs as part of the practical portion of the presentation. He and his team made pizza with grasshoppers. He said that grasshoppers taste like nuts and so don't really go well on pizza. This coming from the boy who likes pineapple on his pizza Roll Eyes

We'll see how things go tomorrow. I hope at least that he gets a decent grade. He's put a lot of effort into it.
That is awesome!!!

As a vegetarian who doesn't eat meat because "nothing should die for me to eat" I don't think I would feel right eating bugs (no, I don't kill bugs except roaches, fleas, tics, & mosquitos, or if a biting/stinging gets into my living space) but I do think they would be a good alternative since they are plentiful. I don't think the "gross factor" would be a problem unless the insect is really ugly, like a roach or cicada.

and there's nothing wrong with pineapple on pizza!

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #291 on: February 17, 2020, 08:42:13 pm »

Well his grade was good. Basically B's which I can be happy with Grin

YouTube keeps telling me that your or your band's channel has updated, but when I look there's nothing new posted. YouTube is weird.

So the project I've been involved with for the last year or so finally went live this week. There have been few problems and both the customer and my boss are happy Grin. My project manager came by to tell me he's going to arrange the celebration for the go live. Which honestly I wish we would do here so I don't have to travel again Grin

How's things going on your end?

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #292 on: February 17, 2020, 09:07:56 pm »

Well his grade was good. Basically B's which I can be happy with Grin
Awesome! yay

YouTube keeps telling me that your or your band's channel has updated, but when I look there's nothing new posted. YouTube is weird.
Yeah, I think sites like that must do that to get you to generate ad revenue... No updates lately (I'm bad at being a social media marketer, maybe I should look into hiring one)

So the project I've been involved with for the last year or so finally went live this week. There have been few problems and both the customer and my boss are happy Grin. My project manager came by to tell me he's going to arrange the celebration for the go live. Which honestly I wish we would do here so I don't have to travel again Grin
Congrats!

How's things going on your end?
Some 'ol stuff here...
Landlord did paint the inside of the cabinets white and I haven't had anymore unwanted visitors...
My eldest cat (16.5yrs) had to switch to prescription wet food, so I went from filling a gravity feeder once a month, to dishing out food a few times a day (and have to pick up after they eat or it gets hard)...
Starting to feel a bit more unpacked, but I'm in the "I can't do this till i do that, I can't do that till I do this other thing, and I just don't feel like doing it" lol... managed to empty a couple more boxes though so it's getting there. (laundry drop off is awesome.)

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #293 on: March 11, 2020, 09:17:18 pm »

So how's the insanity on your side of the pond?

People here are starting to get a little odd with the buying of things.

We're not too bad here technically. At this time my family isn't in direct danger. We were beginning to build up a buffer on things before everyone else so we're doing ok with that.

At work we are all prepared to work from home if needed. We'll see how it goes.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #294 on: March 11, 2020, 09:22:30 pm »

So how's the insanity on your side of the pond?

People here are starting to get a little odd with the buying of things.

We're not too bad here technically. At this time my family isn't in direct danger. We were beginning to build up a buffer on things before everyone else so we're doing ok with that.

At work we are all prepared to work from home if needed. We'll see how it goes.
Today is peak insanity, the rodeo cancelled (no tears from me) and the mayor has declared "state of emergency." I haven't really been to any stores but I've heard you can't get toilet paper or hand sanitizer anywhere laugh1
Even band practice got cancelled Another Tounge

Y'all stay well over there!

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #295 on: March 20, 2020, 10:18:37 pm »

So I've been working from home this week. My boss sent us home last Friday to do home office. Now the Bavarian government is locking things down. Only grocery stores, banks, and doctors offices are remaining open. We've all been told to stay home unless we really need to go out.

That's where it stands for us now. How is it for you?

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #296 on: March 20, 2020, 10:43:48 pm »

So I've been working from home this week. My boss sent us home last Friday to do home office. Now the Bavarian government is locking things down. Only grocery stores, banks, and doctors offices are remaining open. We've all been told to stay home unless we really need to go out.

That's where it stands for us now. How is it for you?
Pretty much the same here... Got told Monday to take what I need to work from home (using Teamviewer for something I have to have access to my work pc for, backing up logs & deleting old ones since the hard drive stays at near capacity... ), most everything is shut down, restaurants are take out/delivery only. They are allowed to takeout/deliver alcohol now, which was a no no before. There are rumors of "marshal law" which I assume will just be the "Only grocery stores, banks, and doctors offices are remaining open" you mentioned. Supposedly starting Sunday. We shall see I guess.

Grocery stores are hit or miss depending on what you need, I might make another run in a bit when I go pick up food.

Be safe!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:40:24 pm by simmo » Logged

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #297 on: April 13, 2020, 03:26:03 pm »

Beginning my 5th week of working from home. I can honestly say I'm not excited, but after discussing things with my boss, it seems that we are going to do a phased return to the office starting likely next month. Since I have blood pressure issues and asthma I'm likely one of the last to return to working from the office. While I'm actually more productive programming at home, I'm also losing out on the social contact with my co-workers.

How's it going for you?

-- signature --

Bonker Gudd
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #298 on: April 18, 2020, 11:21:47 pm »

I need more eggs.

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #299 on: April 19, 2020, 12:54:54 pm »

Beginning my 5th week of working from home. I can honestly say I'm not excited, but after discussing things with my boss, it seems that we are going to do a phased return to the office starting likely next month. Since I have blood pressure issues and asthma I'm likely one of the last to return to working from the office. While I'm actually more productive programming at home, I'm also losing out on the social contact with my co-workers.

How's it going for you?
We're still at home till further notice. I miss band practice and am more than willing to go if my other members would agree...

I need more eggs.
You should start a garden

..... .....

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up
Print

Jump to: