June 24, 2019, 06:11:01 pm
News: GalahTech Community Based Technical Support!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 33084 times)
Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #240 on: May 07, 2019, 06:36:54 pm »

I have mixed opinions. I do like music in other languages as it makes the vocal track just another instrument, but at the same time, sometimes the content/message is important.

Yeah I understand that. When I first heard Rammstein I didn't speak enough German to really understand the words, and the vocals were just part of the music. Then once I understood German more I could hear the messages that was in the music too (nothing bad, but sometimes very weird).

Ugh, had a "3 day weekend" for Easter...
I was going to use it to catch up on these two freelance gigs who's deadlines were both long ago... however... while I'm at band practice Thursday night, I start getting email alerts from my servers... so I go home after, instead of going out as planned, and I see the web server has crashed (I suspect a piece of software i didn't write has a memory leak and I should reboot the servers more often than I do) so I reboot them and go to bed...
I wake up Friday to all sorts of emails from alerts, co-workers, and clients... apparently the server crash caused a lot of data corruption that was causing the software to lag out, and crash again... and in turn, that caused interface queues to get full, and when I get things running again, well... So finally after 12 hours I have the data all cleaned up and am slowly turning on systems one by one.
Spent the following week adding fail-safes to the code that should prevent the corruption in the future.
Holy crap that's horrible. Yeah that can make a holiday/weekend pretty horrible.

Glad to hear you're feeling better!
Me too! Tongue it was a head cold which ended up as a light fever. I made a deal with my wife that when I have a fever I stay home.

Anything good?
A very silly British film about a boy who pulls Excaliber out of the stone. It's called "The kid who would be king". It's cute and funny and actually handles the Authurian legend pretty well. It has Patrick Stewart playing Merlin, at least occasionally. It was a fun time and the boys liked it.

lol. I went there once years (damn, i think it's been over a decade) ago when they first came to town. I think I recall the fries being pretty good.
Yes the fries a good, the burgers are pretty tasty too. My favorite though are the milkshakes. I love that you can have all kinds of different things in the milkshakes.

That's awesome! :clap:

I had posted it on a painting forum to ask some advice about the foreground, and a person asked if it was so red because something was wrong with the camera. I guess it is unusal to paint in mostly red tones Grin

Played a pretty terrible show on the 20th Another Tounge for some reason the stage was very dark so I was hitting wrong notes all over the place... I've now put glow-in-the-dark stickers where i can see them (I have to remember to "charge" them before playing lol )...

I would have thought you played by feel Another Tounge.

then, the headlining band [who is originally from the 80s (and a favorite of mine) but only has 1 original member]'s singer got silly drunk... like, he showed up drunk & shoeless...

Ok now that's drunk. I guess people are lucky he still had his pants.

I actually know him a bit (he's from a city a few hours away) and while he was on stage (he pulled off 3 or 4 songs before staggering off stage) he got tangled up in the mic cord and stand. While I was getting him untangled, the damn stand hit me in the face, right on the outside corner of my eyebrow... and split open lol... the worst part was having to explain what happened multiple times, while in a suit, on Easter Sunday...

Ouch! Yeah I could see that "Did you get in a fight? No, I got hit in the face with a mic stand. Did someone throw it at you?" Probably not too fun.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #241 on: May 10, 2019, 04:03:47 pm »

Ugh, had a "3 day weekend" for Easter...
I was going to use it to catch up on these two freelance gigs who's deadlines were both long ago... however... while I'm at band practice Thursday night, I start getting email alerts from my servers... so I go home after, instead of going out as planned, and I see the web server has crashed (I suspect a piece of software i didn't write has a memory leak and I should reboot the servers more often than I do) so I reboot them and go to bed...
I wake up Friday to all sorts of emails from alerts, co-workers, and clients... apparently the server crash caused a lot of data corruption that was causing the software to lag out, and crash again... and in turn, that caused interface queues to get full, and when I get things running again, well... So finally after 12 hours I have the data all cleaned up and am slowly turning on systems one by one.
Spent the following week adding fail-safes to the code that should prevent the corruption in the future.
Holy crap that's horrible. Yeah that can make a holiday/weekend pretty horrible.
Yup! I'm not sure if being a holiday made it better or worse for clients (who were all pretty much down since the server was so slow). I was told to pick another day to take off since I worked, and I was already planning to take the following Friday off (since playing that thurs), but ultimately it doesn't really matter because we don't really track that sort of thing (unless it becomes a problem).

Glad to hear you're feeling better!
Me too! Tongue it was a head cold which ended up as a light fever. I made a deal with my wife that when I have a fever I stay home.
That's the rule in the office too. So few employees means that more than a couple people missing can be a real mess. So I'm never sure when I should stay home or go in, but the general consensus is do not come in with a fever Another Tounge

Anything good?
A very silly British film about a boy who pulls Excaliber out of the stone. It's called "The kid who would be king". It's cute and funny and actually handles the Authurian legend pretty well. It has Patrick Stewart playing Merlin, at least occasionally. It was a fun time and the boys liked it.
That sounds fun! Speaking of Patrick Stewart, I've been working my way though Star Trek in its entirety... (I've never been a fan, I watched some of the original series & movies when I was a kid (under 13)) I'm currently halway through The next generation TV series (which reminds me, I need to obtain the TNG movies as they are next on the list).

lol. I went there once years (damn, i think it's been over a decade) ago when they first came to town. I think I recall the fries being pretty good.
Yes the fries a good, the burgers are pretty tasty too. My favorite though are the milkshakes. I love that you can have all kinds of different things in the milkshakes.
I can't say that I've had them, picking up a couple Ben & Jerry's shakes for date night this evening.

That's awesome! :clap:

I had posted it on a painting forum to ask some advice about the foreground, and a person asked if it was so red because something was wrong with the camera. I guess it is unusal to paint in mostly red tones Grin
lol, I wonder if they were being "passive aggressive" or not... The easel kinda shows that it's not the camera. Either way, I like it because of all the red. Makes me think "sunset in autumn."

Played a pretty terrible show on the 20th Another Tounge for some reason the stage was very dark so I was hitting wrong notes all over the place... I've now put glow-in-the-dark stickers where i can see them (I have to remember to "charge" them before playing lol )...

I would have thought you played by feel Another Tounge.
kinda Another Tounge but if you're off by .5" it's noticeable! 99% of the time I don't need to look, but it depends on the "distance" between notes. If jumping a large gap, I give a quick glance, but otherwise I'm not looking at my fret board.

then, the headlining band [who is originally from the 80s (and a favorite of mine) but only has 1 original member]'s singer got silly drunk... like, he showed up drunk & shoeless...

Ok now that's drunk. I guess people are lucky he still had his pants.
lol, well, there were a few pictures taken with them down (his posing, not like creep shots). When he showed up, he didn't have a shirt either, so I gave him one out of our merch box but he lost that before they even made it to the stage lol. I think the guitarist from band that played in between us & them (from Dallas) wound up with it and I'm fine w/that.

I actually know him a bit (he's from a city a few hours away) and while he was on stage (he pulled off 3 or 4 songs before staggering off stage) he got tangled up in the mic cord and stand. While I was getting him untangled, the damn stand hit me in the face, right on the outside corner of my eyebrow... and split open lol... the worst part was having to explain what happened multiple times, while in a suit, on Easter Sunday...

Ouch! Yeah I could see that "Did you get in a fight? No, I got hit in the face with a mic stand. Did someone throw it at you?" Probably not too fun.
Yup, I even said "at least if I would have gotten in a fight it would have made a decent story laugh1

Nothing new here. Pretty bad weather lately, and supposed to continue for a coupe days. One rehearsal canceled yesterday, so I'm currently looking at 3 different rehearsals this weekend (and mother's day) sofa

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #242 on: May 26, 2019, 06:39:23 pm »

So Friday my wife comes home from a meeting for the planned Family Service at church. Basically they have special services geared for families with children, in an attempt to get children to come to church. My wife is one of the members of the team that plan and perform these services. So anyway she had a meeting on Friday for the one planned in about 3 weeks and she says they need a landscape painting and since I paint landscapes that she volunteered me to do it. Which is not a big deal, since I do like to paint, and if it's a painting that others will see then I'll be happy. So anyway here's a link to a timelapse of my painting session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuuTdQ2a1Dw

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2019, 02:24:09 pm »

So anyway she had a meeting on Friday for the one planned in about 3 weeks and she says they need a landscape painting and since I paint landscapes that she volunteered me to do it.
laugh1 I guess she knows your "to do" list as well as anyone.

Which is not a big deal, since I do like to paint, and if it's a painting that others will see then I'll be happy.
That's good then!

So anyway here's a link to a timelapse of my painting session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuuTdQ2a1Dw
Very cool! yay Looks awesome too! Are you using something as a reference or just a picture in your mind's eye?

Not much new here, PCI compliance time again :cry:

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2019, 07:29:49 pm »

Very cool! yay Looks awesome too! Are you using something as a reference or just a picture in your mind's eye?

Mind's eye. I basically work up an idea in my head. Sometimes it's just start and see where it takes me.

Not much new here, PCI compliance time again :cry:

yay 

Yeah, I just basically finished a project and the customer already has a big change desired, so I'm spending this week writing a concept and making time estimates. We'll see how that works out. As of Friday I'm taking 2 weeks off because I need to just relax a bit. Kids are off school so I'll probably take them to see my wife's parents. My wife has to work, so it'll just be me, my in-laws and the kids which will still be nice.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2019, 08:13:48 pm »

Mind's eye. I basically work up an idea in my head. Sometimes it's just start and see where it takes me.
That's awesome!

Yeah, I just basically finished a project and the customer already has a big change desired, so I'm spending this week writing a concept and making time estimates. We'll see how that works out.
I hate that phase of projects.

As of Friday I'm taking 2 weeks off because I need to just relax a bit. Kids are off school so I'll probably take them to see my wife's parents.
always on vacation laugh1

..... .....

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: