May 20, 2019, 05:03:53 am
News: If someone gives you crap then give them a Bad Star
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 32025 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #210 on: December 04, 2018, 07:32:36 pm »

Not sure what I would have done if I didn't know him real well.
Yeah, I didn't go. I did attend a "memorial" show since.

Nothing better than using your own right Grin
Kinda, it's nice just ubering to the venue with my bass and not having to worry about anything else Another Tounge

I was wondering because I hadn't seen you mention her much recently. Grin
heh not much to tell, you mentioned taking things slow, well 2.5 years later, still slow...

My wife's purchase was a spur of the moment kind of thing, because one of our local shops was selling it online. An original has the problem that you'd have to get the cartridges and have place to store them Grin
I think it's missing a few "must have" games (but I could be wrong), but yes, not only storing the games, but all the wear & tear of swapping them in & out (as well as dirt).

That wouldn't be a bad idea.
Just time... Which I have none of lately (and last thing I want to do is more coding laugh1 ) still have two concurrent projects going on doh

So you'll get some time off from shows.
Yep. Dec 15th & 30th are the next (and only) two. We still practice once a week on non-show weeks.

You mean outside the code itself? Usually I have UML diagrams so I know how the classes relate. Working in Java it is hard to have spaghetti code since everything is in classes. Usually my problem is more keeping track of threading when I have multiple threads running.
yeah, for example this is what I made to visualize opening a window in one of my apps:
https://imgur.com/a/zCd3SF3

I made it in www.draw.io but it takes a while and I'm not sure how useful it even is...

So yesterday, around 3:30 pm I received a text from an old friend asking if I was still able to marry people and if I would marry him & his girl at their apt and they would have a larger ceremony later. So, I agreed. I was thinking it was just going to be signing a paper and leaving, but they actually wanted to have a little formality (and being that I had never actually performed one before, it was very informal) and afterward we had a bit of dinner & drinks. So, I didn’t get anything I had planed done…

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:43:36 pm by simmo » Logged

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #211 on: December 08, 2018, 03:55:36 pm »

Yeah, I didn't go. I did attend a "memorial" show since.

Yeah that sounds about right.

heh not much to tell, you mentioned taking things slow, well 2.5 years later, still slow...

Nothing wrong with slow, as long as you both are happy with it then it's good.

I think it's missing a few "must have" games (but I could be wrong), but yes, not only storing the games, but all the wear & tear of swapping them in & out (as well as dirt).
True it doesn't have all the great games, but it has some of the more important ones I grew up with Grin

Just time... Which I have none of lately (and last thing I want to do is more coding laugh1 ) still have two concurrent projects going on doh
Yeah, I'm coding enough at the office right now I have no interest in doing stuff at home right now. That'll change I'm sure but for now ... meh ...

Yep. Dec 15th & 30th are the next (and only) two. We still practice once a week on non-show weeks.
That sounds good. That'll give you some time to breathe too Grin

yeah, for example this is what I made to visualize opening a window in one of my apps:
https://imgur.com/a/zCd3SF3

I made it in www.draw.io but it takes a while and I'm not sure how useful it even is...

Yeah I couldn't follow that diagram no Too much going on and nothing really to clarify the sequences. Have you tried a sequence diagram?

So yesterday, around 3:30 pm I received a text from an old friend asking if I was still able to marry people and if I would marry him & his girl at their apt and they would have a larger ceremony later. So, I agreed. I was thinking it was just going to be signing a paper and leaving, but they actually wanted to have a little formality (and being that I had never actually performed one before, it was very informal) and afterward we had a bit of dinner & drinks. So, I didn’t get anything I had planed done…

Well that seems unexpected. Did they have a marrige certificate/license? Pretty crazy to get a call like that out of the blue. How, and why did you ever get the allowance to marry people, and then not use it laugh1 ?

So this past week has been pretty much work hell. Trying to get the software to where we can show it to one of our biggest customers (happens this Wednesday). I'm pretty confident that we'll get it done, but it's been a lot of stress, and overtime hours. However, I have this week, which besides the demonstration, we have the company Christmas party. Then I'm on vacation for the rest of the year and the first week of next year Wink. I, once again, forgot to plan my vacation and have days that I'm carrying over into the next year. I try not to do this, but I forgot. My wife had to remind me Roll Eyes. On the 28th we'll travel to Berlin, and meet my wife's family there. It'll be around the time of my parent-in-laws wedding anniversary (48 years). We'll stay there until the 31st then we'll travel home for New Years.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2018, 09:42:55 pm »

Yeah, I'm coding enough at the office right now I have no interest in doing stuff at home right now. That'll change I'm sure but for now ... meh ...
I'm kind of regretting taking on so much. One SHOULD be ending soon, so I can focus on the other. I think a lot of the stress is that I have two different clients asking for status reports & due dates...

Yeah I couldn't follow that diagram no Too much going on and nothing really to clarify the sequences.
Exactly! The box in the "middle" is basically a screen opening and all the arrows coming off it are individual ajax chains. In the code they are in order clockwise on the diagram, starting at 1 o'clock, but since they are independent, it doesn't matter all that much.

Have you tried a sequence diagram?
Nope, first I'm hearing that term. I'll research that once I hit post on this message.

Well that seems unexpected. Did they have a marrige certificate/license? Pretty crazy to get a call like that out of the blue.
They did have the license. Here there is a 3 day waiting period from license to wedding. It was pretty crazy especially since not many people even know I can do that, he must have remembered from a conversation back in like 2003 laugh1

How, and why did you ever get the allowance to marry people, and then not use it laugh1 ?
I did it as a joke, around 1997. You know those "tabloid" papers that used to be near the grocery checkout, the ones with things like "bat boy found in cave?" They used to have ads in the back to get ordained laugh1

So this past week has been pretty much work hell. Trying to get the software to where we can show it to one of our biggest customers (happens this Wednesday). I'm pretty confident that we'll get it done, but it's been a lot of stress, and overtime hours.
Good luck! I just rushed out a feature here... I swear "we" said we weren't going to operate like that anymore...

However, I have this week, which besides the demonstration, we have the company Christmas party.
We had ours last Friday. I even went to another bar with the boss & his wife after buddies

Then I'm on vacation for the rest of the year and the first week of next year Wink. I, once again, forgot to plan my vacation and have days that I'm carrying over into the next year. I try not to do this, but I forgot. My wife had to remind me Roll Eyes. On the 28th we'll travel to Berlin, and meet my wife's family there. It'll be around the time of my parent-in-laws wedding anniversary (48 years). We'll stay there until the 31st then we'll travel home for New Years.
I was notified that we have to work the 26th, but as a consolation I get both the 24th & 31st off. Since i have a gig on the 30th, I'm glad bout the 31st but there's a HUGE local show I usually attend xmas night... which I'll probably still attend sofa

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #213 on: December 16, 2018, 03:29:06 pm »

Exactly! The box in the "middle" is basically a screen opening and all the arrows coming off it are individual ajax chains. In the code they are in order clockwise on the diagram, starting at 1 o'clock, but since they are independent, it doesn't matter all that much.

Yes this is what you want a sequence chart for, as each one should show you threading and the calls and their returns.
Nope, first I'm hearing that term. I'll research that once I hit post on this message.
One of the many diagrams in UML 2. You really should look into the diagrams they are pretty powerful.

They did have the license. Here there is a 3 day waiting period from license to wedding. It was pretty crazy especially since not many people even know I can do that, he must have remembered from a conversation back in like 2003 laugh1

I did it as a joke, around 1997. You know those "tabloid" papers that used to be near the grocery checkout, the ones with things like "bat boy found in cave?" They used to have ads in the back to get ordained laugh1

That's cool, I know a few people who would have done the same thing Grin

Good luck! I just rushed out a feature here... I swear "we" said we weren't going to operate like that anymore...

We did pretty good actually. I mean we still have a lot to do to handle the problem more in line with what the customer needs, but they had lots of questions and were pretty interested in both of the products I demonstrated. So I was pretty happy.

We had ours last Friday. I even went to another bar with the boss & his wife after buddies

Ours was pretty low key this year. Typically we would all bring in a small gift and play a game to see who ends up with what. This year the gifts were provided by the boss, but only 5 of them so there was some competition. I ended up winning 50 Euros for electronics, so I see myself buying a new Raspberry Pi Grin. Then we all ate lunch together, one of our collegues made chilli which was really good. Then we went to the Christmas market in town, and stood around drinking mulled wine, and eating snacks (payed for by the boss) and then I went home to spend time with the family.

I was notified that we have to work the 26th, but as a consolation I get both the 24th & 31st off. Since i have a gig on the 30th, I'm glad bout the 31st but there's a HUGE local show I usually attend xmas night... which I'll probably still attend sofa

The question is if anyone will be alert enough to notice that you've not slept on the 26th Grin

I'm not sure if you got my email where I answered you about the problems with the java class. If you need me to take a look again at the code let me know. I'll be out of town from the 28th to 31st, but then I'll be home until the 6th of January.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #214 on: December 17, 2018, 08:02:43 pm »

Yes this is what you want a sequence chart for, as each one should show you threading and the calls and their returns.
Being that the calls are asynchronous would that still be the proper diagram? Technically they are in an order in the code, but they each start without caring (or being aware of) if the others finish. (and they each finish whenever they finish, depends on the data which can be different for each run.)

One of the many diagrams in UML 2. You really should look into the diagrams they are pretty powerful.
I have three tabs with data & examples open now, thanks!

We did pretty good actually. I mean we still have a lot to do to handle the problem more in line with what the customer needs, but they had lots of questions and were pretty interested in both of the products I demonstrated. So I was pretty happy.
Awesome :clap:

Ours was pretty low key this year. Typically we would all bring in a small gift and play a game to see who ends up with what. This year the gifts were provided by the boss, but only 5 of them so there was some competition. I ended up winning 50 Euros for electronics, so I see myself buying a new Raspberry Pi Grin. Then we all ate lunch together, one of our collegues made chilli which was really good. Then we went to the Christmas market in town, and stood around drinking mulled wine, and eating snacks (payed for by the boss) and then I went home to spend time with the family.
Sounds exciting! We just have a sit down dinner (usually at a restaurant but has been at the boss' house before) and on a couple occasions a few of us will hit the bar (or a different one as the case was this year) afterward.

The question is if anyone will be alert enough to notice that you've not slept on the 26th Grin
That's exactly what I'm banking on! yawn

I'm not sure if you got my email where I answered you about the problems with the java class. If you need me to take a look again at the code let me know. I'll be out of town from the 28th to 31st, but then I'll be home until the 6th of January.
I did and thanks!

We played this Saturday, first of TEN bands (was day two of a two day event). Being that it was 4:30 in the afternoon/evening, wasn't that many people and I was very sober laugh1 Musically, probably our best performance, but I didn't feel the energy I usually have. Next gig on the 30th, which is a Sunday, but I have the next day off yay

https://www.facebook.com/OneBadEyeMedia/posts/1530534847077776

[EDIT]
What do y'all use for bug tracking and/or to do lists?

[EDIT2]
I'll just leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQEOkY0HP3A
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:29:14 pm by simmo » Logged

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2019, 09:03:30 pm »

What do y'all use for bug tracking and/or to do lists?

We use RedMine for our project management and Kunagi for our Sprints. They've done some work to make them work together apparently.

Well happy New Year! yay

My vacation was nice, busy but nice. Now I'm back to work and trying to get everything done at once Grin

My biggest thing right now is getting smart on using Elasticsearch. Apparently the amount of data we'll need to work with on the two projects I've been working on will be massive, and a standard relational database just won't cut it. So I'm doing an analysis of Elasticsearch and how we might be able to use it. This things is pretty amazing from what I've seen so far. Really fast. Now I just need to find the negatives Another Tounge

So I hope your shows at the end of the year went well!

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2019, 10:02:58 pm »

We use RedMine for our project management and Kunagi for our Sprints. They've done some work to make them work together apparently.
Cool, I'll check those out.

Well happy New Year! yay
Thanks, you too!

My vacation was nice, busy but nice. Now I'm back to work and trying to get everything done at once Grin
Till you go on vacation next week laugh1

My biggest thing right now is getting smart on using Elasticsearch. Apparently the amount of data we'll need to work with on the two projects I've been working on will be massive, and a standard relational database just won't cut it. So I'm doing an analysis of Elasticsearch and how we might be able to use it. This things is pretty amazing from what I've seen so far. Really fast. Now I just need to find the negatives Another Tounge
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around something being too big for a relational database unsure

So I hope your shows at the end of the year went well!
Did you watch the youtube? I think it went well Grin

Welp, I joined another band Another Tounge Bandmates from the band I was in back in 1997 contacted me about getting back together and I agreed. RER doesn't play as much as I would like so this will fill the voids laugh1

..... .....

Bonker Gudd
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2019, 01:27:13 am »

Look at the muck in here  suck_kr

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #218 on: January 13, 2019, 06:07:25 pm »

Till you go on vacation next week laugh1

Na next vacation is in March when I take the family to London for week.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around something being too big for a relational database unsure

I did too until I dealt with a dataset that required me to pull over 100,000 entries and iterate over them for statistics. The problem was this was a small test, an actual production system would produce between 500,000 to 4million entries a day. So yeah, we need something that can handle large amounts of data and return it quickly enough.
Did you watch the youtube? I think it went well Grin
Just watched it. I like the name of the band. Are you all old enough to remember Regan as president (not sure about your lead singer, he looks kind of young).

Welp, I joined another band Another Tounge Bandmates from the band I was in back in 1997 contacted me about getting back together and I agreed. RER doesn't play as much as I would like so this will fill the voids laugh1

laugh1

Welll I guess you need to have something to do with your free time.

Yeah I've been meaning to clean it up, but just can't find the motivation Grin

hiya Bonker.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #219 on: January 14, 2019, 09:52:07 pm »

It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it!

Na next vacation is in March when I take the family to London for week.
Sounds fun!

I did too until I dealt with a dataset that required me to pull over 100,000 entries and iterate over them for statistics. The problem was this was a small test, an actual production system would produce between 500,000 to 4million entries a day. So yeah, we need something that can handle large amounts of data and return it quickly enough.
That's a lot of data!

I'm starting to get to the point where we either need to optimize more (I'm not the most knowledgeable DBA but I think it's pretty optimized) or turn our webserver + dbserver into a "farm" with a load balancer...

Just watched it. I like the name of the band. Are you all old enough to remember Regan as president (not sure about your lead singer, he looks kind of young).
Thanks, was my suggestion. We're all in our 40s except the singer (46, 42, 42, 40, & 23) laugh1 I'm constantly pointing out how he won't get references we make rofl_yello (the best part is when he confirms it)

Welll I guess you need to have something to do with your free time.
Truth! Roll Eyes (Still haven't had a practice with the "new" band, as far as I know, they're trying to find a practice room.)

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2019, 09:51:58 pm »

Welp, today's my birthday. It was nice. My wife bought me a new easel for my painting. It's so nice to have what I'm painting at eye level Grin

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2019, 10:12:32 pm »

Welp, today's my birthday. It was nice.
Happy Birthday!!! :birthday:

My wife bought me a new easel for my painting. It's so nice to have what I'm painting at eye level Grin
we're still waiting for you to share your talent with us!  thumbup

("first" practice with the "new" band tomorrow, well first time in 20 years laugh1 )
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:14:38 pm by simmo » Logged

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #222 on: January 25, 2019, 07:31:27 pm »

Happy Birthday!!! :birthday:

Thanks!

we're still waiting for you to share your talent with us!  thumbup
I had thought I had shared

Here's one of my more recent pieces
https://imgur.com/gallery/6gBC5WM

("first" practice with the "new" band tomorrow, well first time in 20 years laugh1 )

laugh1

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #223 on: January 25, 2019, 07:36:20 pm »

I had thought I had shared
Actually, I think you have now that I see your sig.

Here's one of my more recent pieces
https://imgur.com/gallery/6gBC5WM
That is really good! Thanks for sharing!

laugh1
It went pretty well. I didn't learn any of the old songs beforehand but we picked back up really quick. Honestly I think we'll be ready for a gig after another practice or two :shocked:

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2019, 07:29:53 pm »

Just checking in to let you know I'm still alive Grin

We had a big change at the office, and have combined the two development teams into a single one. This means I'm doing more for our main products which is nice, but also means I'm doing a lot more work Grin

-- signature --

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Print

Jump to: