November 19, 2018, 12:27:20 am
News: GalahTech Community Based Technical Support!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 20590 times)
Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2018, 12:16:58 pm »

And it sounds great! Very "growly." We're recording two songs tomorrow, semi-pro (as in a guy we know from another band has some gear and is going to come to our practice space).

So is it home made or commercial? I'm guessing it's for your bass?

I need to NOT chew gum during performances... (and lose 20-30 lbs... although I think dudes phone's lens is distorting things a bit): 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BljFRf3n9I8/?taken-by=reaganerarejects

Yeah, the gum chewing looked a bit odd. It might be the camera, you looked a bit more swollen from what I've seen in previous pictures.

So here in Germany we're having a heatwave, and it's not nice. We're not used to temperatures in the 90's with high humidity. It's hot enough I told my wife that we're not cooking in the house this weekend.

I'm starting to learn Node.js. The language is fairly simple since it is JavaScript, but learning to use it in a non-browser environment is new.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2018, 02:49:30 pm »

So is it home made or commercial? I'm guessing it's for your bass?
The speaker cabinet? Commercial and for my bass:
https://imgur.com/a/6vWpuEk

I can't remember if I mentioned I got a custom truss rod cover made for my bass (she's black & curvy so named her Morticia). The bass is from the 70s and was missing the truss rod cover when I got it. I thought about getitng an original one, but they are about $175... I like my $40 one much better:
https://imgur.com/a/IMMXT7U

It might be the camera, you looked a bit more swollen from what I've seen in previous pictures.
heh, I have put on a few pounds that I just can't seem to shake but the guitarist looks fatter in the vid than in real life so I'm going with that laugh1

So here in Germany we're having a heatwave, and it's not nice. We're not used to temperatures in the 90's with high humidity.
I think it's everywhere... I tend to stay away from politics but it certainly seems like things are getting hotter...

It's hot enough I told my wife that we're not cooking in the house this weekend.
Yep, when I was a kid we were never allowed to use the stove/oven in the warmer months. Microwaves are awesome.

I'm starting to learn Node.js. The language is fairly simple since it is JavaScript, but learning to use it in a non-browser environment is new.
I looked into it when I was still in Virginia but it was pretty new and I didn't have a place to play with it. I believe it's a pretty employable skill, at least I was hearing about it a lot for a while.

I'm still knee deep in security stuff... people build entire careers around this... I just want to program. Currently stuck writing a "risk assessment" document...

..... .....

Bonker Gudd
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2018, 11:41:46 pm »

Belt up eatyum mf_popeanim

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2018, 04:32:39 pm »

Hi Bonk! hiya

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2018, 03:01:42 pm »

Did I mention I am on stage (technically it's a "house show" so no stage) for the first time in 18 years tomorrow? ... a little nervous... sofa

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #185 on: August 27, 2018, 07:07:11 pm »

Did I mention I am on stage (technically it's a "house show" so no stage) for the first time in 18 years tomorrow? ... a little nervous... sofa

poop! Sorry I missed this post. How did it go?

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2018, 07:58:32 pm »

poop! Sorry I missed this post. How did it go?

I think it went pretty well! There were a lot of people marked as going/interested on the Facebook event, which I know is not accurate, but I was expecting a lot more people. It was still pretty packed. There were only a few mistakes. Being a house show it was fairly chaotic. Our next confirmed show (Oct 19th) is at an actual venue but we might have one on Sept 21st (waiting for confirmation) at an art gallery.

Only sold a couple shirts when I was worrying about selling out Another Tounge I get a lot of inquires about them on FB or when people see me at shows so I'm trying to decide how/if I want to handle selling them outside of shows (since next show will be 1-1.5 months away). "Square," the company I use to take credit cards (via a device that plugs into my phone), has a free eCommerce site (of course they want me to sell a lot because they get a 3% + .30 on each sale) so I'm thinking I'll go with that. Of course, I'll have to deal with shipping (and charge for shipping). Alternatively, I could just tell people to meet me at shows and keep a handful in a backpack laugh1

Both of my servers have been complaining about some array controller, so I scheduled some downtime for that. The first one happened at 2-4am this morning... well... when they brought the servers back up, the web server mysteriously could no longer talk to the database server, which meant all of my sites/webapps were still down... I was expecting it to be a simple hardware swap (managed by the datacenter) so I didn't check anything till after 7am... They finally discovered the server was communicating over the wrong NIC (or something) at 10am... It's caused quite a few trickle down issues, like locking the mailbox systems use to send emails... The server is still running slow for some reason so I'm going to reboot tonight.
So much for a simple hardware swap Roll Eyes

[EDIT]
first show: https://www.facebook.com/ben.creech.52/videos/1915525221874673/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:45:20 pm by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #187 on: August 31, 2018, 08:33:05 pm »

I think it went pretty well! There were a lot of people marked as going/interested on the Facebook event, which I know is not accurate, but I was expecting a lot more people. It was still pretty packed. There were only a few mistakes. Being a house show it was fairly chaotic. Our next confirmed show (Oct 19th) is at an actual venue but we might have one on Sept 21st (waiting for confirmation) at an art gallery.

[EDIT]
first show: https://www.facebook.com/ben.creech.52/videos/1915525221874673/

I'm pretty amazed that people allow you to play that loudly in a residential area (I'm guessing it's a residence). Here in Germany you can play music loudly in clubs but not in your house. Neighbors don't care for it Wink

Only sold a couple shirts when I was worrying about selling out Another Tounge I get a lot of inquires about them on FB or when people see me at shows so I'm trying to decide how/if I want to handle selling them outside of shows (since next show will be 1-1.5 months away). "Square," the company I use to take credit cards (via a device that plugs into my phone), has a free eCommerce site (of course they want me to sell a lot because they get a 3% + .30 on each sale) so I'm thinking I'll go with that. Of course, I'll have to deal with shipping (and charge for shipping). Alternatively, I could just tell people to meet me at shows and keep a handful in a backpack laugh1

So you guys earn most of your money through merch? I didn't expect that.

Both of my servers have been complaining about some array controller, so I scheduled some downtime for that. The first one happened at 2-4am this morning... well... when they brought the servers back up, the web server mysteriously could no longer talk to the database server, which meant all of my sites/webapps were still down... I was expecting it to be a simple hardware swap (managed by the datacenter) so I didn't check anything till after 7am... They finally discovered the server was communicating over the wrong NIC (or something) at 10am... It's caused quite a few trickle down issues, like locking the mailbox systems use to send emails... The server is still running slow for some reason so I'm going to reboot tonight.
So much for a simple hardware swap Roll Eyes

Hardware updates are never simple Wink. "We're just going to shut down and change this one part .... hmm I don't know why it doesn't start up again, can't be that new part we put in." Roll Eyes I've seen and heard that once too often laugh1

I'm beginning to understand one of the reasons my boss hired me. I seem to be the one dragging the rest of the team into newer versions of Java, all be it kicking and screaming. As of today Java 8 is no longer supported by Oracle, and probably Monday the newest Java 11 (don't ask) drops as their long term support version. So we should be preparing to support this, and I discussed it with a project manager today. He wasn't sure how we could get people to start using it. I told him:

1. We don't have to support it from day 1, we just need to have a plan.
2. We have a QA team and an automated test setup. It wouldn't be difficult to set up a test environment using the newest Java to see what problems arise, add them to the issue tracker and then they can be handled in sprint.
3. Eventually as a company a command decision needs to be made to drop support for out of date Java versions.

He's pretty interested in trying it out and now has some ideas on how to get it implemented. I'll probably discuss it with the boss when I'm back from vacation.

I'm not taking a long vacation, more of an extended weekend. Our niece will be studying in Dublin this fall, and she and her family are vacationing in Ireland so they can say goodbye for the semester. The problem was that they didn't want to drag all her extra clothes, which she'll need during the semester, with them while on vacation. So my sister-in-law purchased my wife and I flight tickets to Dublin where we get to spend a few days seeing the sights and then on our last day dropping her suitcase off before flying home. I'm kind of looking forward to it, as I've never been to Ireland and love the Irish culture.

I told my wife that we can see all the cultural things that she wants, but at least one evening I want to spend in an actual Irish pub listening to the music, having a meal, and drinking a beer.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #188 on: August 31, 2018, 09:05:28 pm »

I'm pretty amazed that people allow you to play that loudly in a residential area (I'm guessing it's a residence). Here in Germany you can play music loudly in clubs but not in your house. Neighbors don't care for it Wink
Yeah, it's fairly rare. In fact, back in Texas City, it was illegal for one of my bands to play laugh1 if we ever got caught it was a ticket for each band member (I think like $125, which might as well have been $1,000,000 for 17 year old us). For us to be able to practice, we would show up at a party, play a set, and bail out. One time we played at a day care (I have pictures somewhere rofl_yello ) and once we played in an empty store while they were doing construction (we knew the new owner in a  friend of a friend type way).Kinda got off topic there... This house is somewhat in the ghetto, so the neighbors are pretty chill. It helps that they are on a corner lot, across the street is a vacant lot, and the lot adjacent is empty (I believe it's a part of the property, they have a garden there). They have shows a couple times a month, and in late December they're planning a couple day "festival" with people camping in the garden lot.

So you guys earn most of your money through merch? I didn't expect that.
I think most bands (even the big names) do. It's all new to me since "back in the day" we never had the "seed money" to make the initial investment. This time around I threw in a couple hundred of my own dollars and after that is recouped it'll go toward more merch, recording, etc. I just put the "store" online today ( http://store.ReaganEraRejects.com ) and already have to make a trip to the post office thumb_yello I've never played for money though. Even when I was dead broke I just play because I like it.

Hardware updates are never simple Wink. "We're just going to shut down and change this one part .... hmm I don't know why it doesn't start up again, can't be that new part we put in." Roll Eyes I've seen and heard that once too often laugh1
The worst part about this one was that the issue was not related to the part, and was very strange (plus we had done a lot of work in the past couple months that could have caused a similar issue)... turns out the internal/external NICs were swapped... I guess tech had to unplug them to slide the server forward to open the lid and plugged them in swapped...

I'm not taking a long vacation, more of an extended weekend. Our niece will be studying in Dublin this fall, and she and her family are vacationing in Ireland so they can say goodbye for the semester. The problem was that they didn't want to drag all her extra clothes, which she'll need during the semester, with them while on vacation. So my sister-in-law purchased my wife and I flight tickets to Dublin where we get to spend a few days seeing the sights and then on our last day dropping her suitcase off before flying home. I'm kind of looking forward to it, as I've never been to Ireland and love the Irish culture.
So rather than them dragging the extra clothes, y'all get to do it? hmm Sounds like a good time regardless Grin

I told my wife that we can see all the cultural things that she wants, but at least one evening I want to spend in an actual Irish pub listening to the music, having a meal, and drinking a beer.
That sounds divine! I'm not much for traveling, but I'm a little jealous.

Three day weekend here in the states. My to do lists are pretty full. Our next show is September 21st (and unfortunately there are two other shows that night that our crowed would go to so competing with those) so we only have three weekends to practice (we can only practice once a week). On top of that, I've been asked to fill in for a band that I've been a big fan of for a couple years (they only play a few times a year), for a show in Austin, so I have my second practice with them this weekend. Half the band lives in Austin so 1st practice was just the guitarist and I, not sure who will be there Sunday. On top of that... I have two different freelance clients chomping at the bit for their projects to progress sofa

..... .....

Bonker Gudd
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #189 on: September 01, 2018, 12:29:32 am »

I'm having so much fun  giljotiini

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2018, 05:55:28 pm »

I'm having so much fun  giljotiini
laugh1

My to do lists are pretty full.
Ugh, definitely feeling underwater here...

Our next show is September 21st (and unfortunately there are two other shows that night that our crowed would go to so competing with those) so we only have three weekends to practice (we can only practice once a week).
Have my second show this Friday. I really don't expect a lot of people to be there though. 1) It's going to be early 2) It's at a fairly unknown and out of the way place 3) there are two other shows going on that are big names (in the punk/hardcore genre at least).

On top of that, I've been asked to fill in for a band that I've been a big fan of for a couple years (they only play a few times a year), for a show in Austin, so I have my second practice with them this weekend. Half the band lives in Austin so 1st practice was just the guitarist and I, not sure who will be there Sunday.
I think I've practiced with the guitarist three times by now. We're going to try to get another one in this week, and Sunday I'll be driving to Austin to practice with the guitarist & drummer. So far I think it's going well, I have written out cheat sheets on index cards Another Tounge

On top of that... I have two different freelance clients chomping at the bit for their projects to progress sofa
On one, I'm in the "ok, that was the last thing, we can go live now" and the client responds back with a couple more items... (I bill by the hour, not by the project, but want to be done...) and on the other I'm desperately trying to find time to finish the first screen so I can give the client something to see...

I need a snorkel... sofa

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2018, 08:02:31 pm »

I understand where you are coming from. Boss came to me last Thursday for an update on my current projects. He says he wants both ready for demo first week of October. yikes

One is getting a new frontend, and that still needs a lot of work. The guy I've got doing the frontend is ok, but getting it to work in our service environment is a bit tricky, so not everything is working. The other project I'm doing the backend, and I'm hoping I can turn it over to another developer to complete. Most of the REST interface will be ready, only a frontend and some user management is needed to make it ready I think. I've been working on it today, and I'm having the wonderful time of getting dates parsed correctly. I don't know why but I'm getting some strange results.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2018, 06:08:48 pm »

Playing in about 7 hours... Pretty sleepy right now but I don't think I'll have time for a nap yawn

Quite a few friends say they are going so may be a better turnout than last time, I haven't practiced much so I don't feel as confidant as I should... Tomorrow I have to divide my time between two freelance projects as well as preparing to drive to Austin (Sunday) to practice with a different band (since I'll only have two practices with the drummer before the show, I want to make sure I'm prepared)...

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2018, 07:32:29 pm »

I've been tired too, which I don't understand since I've been getting enough sleep. I don't know what's up with me.

Good luck on the concert, and your band practices Grin

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #194 on: September 24, 2018, 06:03:57 pm »

I've been tired too, which I don't understand since I've been getting enough sleep. I don't know what's up with me.
Pretty sure my issue is the damn cats. It's so weird, I've had my cat about 15 years and it wasn't till I "baby sat" my sisters cat that he took to sleeping on my legs. I now have another cat who looks up to my cat and has adopted this behavior laugh1

Good luck on the concert,
Thanks! I think it went pretty well. The sound in that room isn't the best, but everyone seemed to like it.

and your band practices Grin
I think that went pretty well too. There were a couple of places where I had to stop and ask "wait, what are you playing right there?" and jot it down on a note card. I plan to organize my "cheat sheets" better by teh weekend and am driving back to Austin in a couple weeks for another practice. It's kind of a lot of work for one gig... but it may turn into more (their current bassist is in a lot of bands).

..... .....

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
Print

Jump to: