December 17, 2018, 03:13:54 pm
News: IF YOU ARE A MEMBER FROM THE ORIGINAL SITE AND CAN'T LOGIN. POST IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM (AS GUEST) AND AN ADMIN WILL ASSIST YOU TO ACCESS THE SITE!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 23067 times)
Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2018, 05:58:43 pm »

Welcome back! Did you receive my PM?
Thanks! Just saw the PM and answered it. Not sure if my answer will actually answer your questions sofa

A strange thing to say laugh1 What did you fear and how was it not as bad?

Oh I was worried that I wouldn't be able to communicate. There were difficulties at time, but for the most part I could make myself understood.

My wife and I are currently going through the photos and deleting the worst ones. Then plan which ones to print out.

Pretty quiet on this end. Have a promoter pushing to have the band on a gig July 20th... even when I tell her we've only had one practice with the singer, and that was just for him to hear the songs... I guess we'll decide after this weekend's practice sofa

That sounds like it could be cool, but I don't know how long it takes for a band to get their act together so to speak Wink

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2018, 02:39:50 pm »

Oh I was worried that I wouldn't be able to communicate. There were difficulties at time, but for the most part I could make myself understood.
Ah, that makes sense!

My wife and I are currently going through the photos and deleting the worst ones. Then plan which ones to print out.
Deleting & printing are foreign concepts laugh1 just throw them all in a properly labeled folder (and make sure it gets backed up)

That sounds like it could be cool, but I don't know how long it takes for a band to get their act together so to speak Wink
Well, this band is starting from scratch with all original tunes (somehow the guitarist was able to crank out 7 right off the bat, nothing complex, it's punk rock/thrash). Since the guitarist wrote them, he's good to go. I'm just about there (I can tell you it's not like "riding a bike" though, really having to practice to get my speed/rhythm back (I would have thought my fret board hand would be the hard part)), sometimes I try to change before it's time though (like 4 measures instead of 6). I think the drummer is still working out his parts, and the singer had/has to write lyrics. We've made a few phone recordings so the singer can write to them, but we haven't practiced with the singer sofa I think tomorrow we'll get together and hear what he has done as well as get recordings of what he still needs to write to.
Other than that, it's really just practice, practice, practice till the songs are committed to memory. Things have changed so much since I was last in a band with recording and distributing. I can record on my phone and later post a link in the band group text and we all have it to "practice" with. Some of my old bands had songs that are completely lost to time because there was no way (for poor, punk, teenage, kids) to record them.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2018, 04:32:00 pm »

Deleting & printing are foreign concepts laugh1 just throw them all in a properly labeled folder (and make sure it gets backed up)

I actually wrote a java program that goes through a folder structure and reads all the image file names into memory, and then it processes each file and checks for the date embedded in the jpeg and creates a date based file structure starting with year, then month, then day. So all the images are in the folder for the date they were taken. Duplicate file names are handled so that both files are kept.

Well, this band is starting from scratch with all original tunes (somehow the guitarist was able to crank out 7 right off the bat, nothing complex, it's punk rock/thrash). Since the guitarist wrote them, he's good to go. I'm just about there (I can tell you it's not like "riding a bike" though, really having to practice to get my speed/rhythm back (I would have thought my fret board hand would be the hard part)), sometimes I try to change before it's time though (like 4 measures instead of 6). I think the drummer is still working out his parts, and the singer had/has to write lyrics. We've made a few phone recordings so the singer can write to them, but we haven't practiced with the singer sofa I think tomorrow we'll get together and hear what he has done as well as get recordings of what he still needs to write to.
Other than that, it's really just practice, practice, practice till the songs are committed to memory. Things have changed so much since I was last in a band with recording and distributing. I can record on my phone and later post a link in the band group text and we all have it to "practice" with. Some of my old bands had songs that are completely lost to time because there was no way (for poor, punk, teenage, kids) to record them.

Aren't you glad you are still young enough to get in on then newst recording technology?

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2018, 06:59:20 pm »

I actually wrote a java program that goes through a folder structure and reads all the image file names into memory, and then it processes each file and checks for the date embedded in the jpeg and creates a date based file structure starting with year, then month, then day. So all the images are in the folder for the date they were taken. Duplicate file names are handled so that both files are kept.
heh, well that sounds pretty convenient.

Aren't you glad you are still young enough to get in on then newst recording technology?
Still figuring out how to utilize it all laugh1 While I'm glad to have it now, I makes the fact that so much has been lost to time sting a bit more. Hardly any pictures even exist from back then, there are a few VHS tapes but no one knows where they are.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2018, 05:57:18 pm »

SO it's bicycle time here in my town. The big event where they try to get more people to ride their bikes for the next three weeks. Like last year I plan on riding to work a few times. This week I did it twice. My legs are mush right now Grin

-- signature --

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2018, 09:36:51 am »

Woop Double post!

Finally got to see the movie Solo about Han Solo's history. Fun movie, my older two boys loved it, the youngest decided he didn't want to see it because he was afraid it would be too exciting Grin

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2018, 07:59:33 pm »

This week I did it twice. My legs are mush right now Grin
I would love to bike to work, it's a 6 min drive so it wouldn't be too crazy to bike... but I would be soaking wet when I got here... I did go skateboarding for the first time in two years (and two years ago was only once, before that it was about 1994 laugh1 ) had fun and I hope to start doing it more often. A singer of one of the local bands always posts video of him skating and we were chatting sat night at teh show we were both attending. I told him if he ever goes after 5 on a week day to holler at me so he texted me yesterday (sunday) and I met up with him at a cool little skate park I've never been to. Totally shocked how much it would wear me out...

Finally got to see the movie Solo about Han Solo's history. Fun movie, my older two boys loved it, the youngest decided he didn't want to see it because he was afraid it would be too exciting Grin
lol too exciting? I can't say I've heard that reason before. I liked it pretty well, I was worried as Han Solo IS star wars to me. I think they need to have a 2nd one because they left out at least one thing (how he earned his corellian blood stripes) as well as extending the story between he & his lady friend.

Welp, first show is all booked, August 24th! Going to be a "house show." We're wanting to stay as "punk" as possible and going "old school" with the non-21 & up venue. Back in the day we had (somehow, I'm not sure of the details) access to a place that was fairly abandoned and was like a small auditorium, was so perfect. Now the only "DIY" spots are two different houses (one is set up a little more like a venue than the other, with a stage in the "living room") so we're having our first show at one of those. I hope we're ready by then... things are still a bit sloppy.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2018, 05:41:05 pm »

I would love to bike to work, it's a 6 min drive so it wouldn't be too crazy to bike... but I would be soaking wet when I got here... I did go skateboarding for the first time in two years (and two years ago was only once, before that it was about 1994 laugh1 ) had fun and I hope to start doing it more often. A singer of one of the local bands always posts video of him skating and we were chatting sat night at teh show we were both attending. I told him if he ever goes after 5 on a week day to holler at me so he texted me yesterday (sunday) and I met up with him at a cool little skate park I've never been to. Totally shocked how much it would wear me out...

I never learned to skate. Everytime I tried to step on a board it would fly out from under me and I'd land on my ass. So I just figured I would stick to biking.

lol too exciting? I can't say I've heard that reason before. I liked it pretty well, I was worried as Han Solo IS star wars to me. I think they need to have a 2nd one because they left out at least one thing (how he earned his corellian blood stripes) as well as extending the story between he & his lady friend.

Yeah he says that about a lot of movies when it comes to watching them in the theater. I think he prefers to watch them at home. I agree though as much fun as the movie was there seemed to be something left out. At least the two actors they chose to play Han and Lando did well. I could almost see a young Billy Dee Williams and Harrison Ford in those two. They had a good chemistry in the film.

Welp, first show is all booked, August 24th! Going to be a "house show." We're wanting to stay as "punk" as possible and going "old school" with the non-21 & up venue. Back in the day we had (somehow, I'm not sure of the details) access to a place that was fairly abandoned and was like a small auditorium, was so perfect. Now the only "DIY" spots are two different houses (one is set up a little more like a venue than the other, with a stage in the "living room") so we're having our first show at one of those. I hope we're ready by then... things are still a bit sloppy.

So are you going to bring the mohawk back? SO if you are in an abandoned place to play where do you get the electricity for your amps? Good luck on the show! I'd say "break a leg" but I'm not sure if that's punk enough Wink

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #173 on: July 03, 2018, 06:42:45 pm »

I never learned to skate. Everytime I tried to step on a board it would fly out from under me and I'd land on my ass. So I just figured I would stick to biking.
I started way early and for a years it defined me in a way. (Have loose plans to skate a bit after work today, hoping to start doing it much more often (I said that two years ago too)).

Yeah he says that about a lot of movies when it comes to watching them in the theater. I think he prefers to watch them at home.
I can understand that! I totally hate the theater, with the exception of this place:
https://visitingmedia.com/tt8/?ttid=ipic-theaters-houston#/360?group=1&tour=0

I agree though as much fun as the movie was there seemed to be something left out. At least the two actors they chose to play Han and Lando did well. I could almost see a young Billy Dee Williams and Harrison Ford in those two. They had a good chemistry in the film.
Yes! I was totally scared about Woody being in the movie too... but he was so good that I "forgot" it was him.

So are you going to bring the mohawk back?
heh nah. I kinda have something similar already, w/o being too extreme:
https://stinkbugonline.com/me/me_2017112.jpg

SO if you are in an abandoned place to play where do you get the electricity for your amps?
It wasn't fully abandoned. I don't recall (if I even knew) all the specifics, but I believe it was historical place, looked almost like an old school, now it's townhouses or something.
http://www.houstonpress.com/music/static-6571550
(I'm slightly offended my old band wasn't mentioned, we played there at least 3x a month)

Good luck on the show! I'd say "break a leg" but I'm not sure if that's punk enough Wink
laugh1 thanks!

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2018, 04:58:36 pm »

LOL

Today I get a call from my wife saying that her collegue needs a new USB stick for storing the backups of her billing software because the current one is full. She was going to buy one from our local electronics shop, but someone told her that the ones they carry are poor quality and over priced, and since this is in my field could I find something for her. I asked how much space was on the original stick so I had an idea what size to buy. My wife said, oh it's pretty old but I don't know how much space it uses. I asked if she wouldn't rather have a external HD, and she said it would probably be better if it is something small like a stick. Now my wife also uses this same software and I'm aware that the backups aren't very big, but me being me decided that if it's an old one it must be around 8GB, and figured if I get her a good one with lots of space then I won't have to worry about it later. So I go buy a SanDisk 128GB USB 3.0 stick for her (not too badly priced and usually good quality).

So fast forward a few hours and my wife takes the newly purchased stick to the practice since she has class tonight. A few moments later I get a call from her saying that I once again over did it, as the original stick was 128MB, and it's apparently lasted 15 years. To which I reply that she should be good until she retires then Tongue

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2018, 04:24:39 pm »

So fast forward a few hours and my wife takes the newly purchased stick to the practice since she has class tonight. A few moments later I get a call from her saying that I once again over did it, as the original stick was 128MB, and it's apparently lasted 15 years.
laugh1 Now with 1000% more space!

I'm in PCI auditing hell... Apparently this is annual (which should be obvious), and apparently ours expires in 7 days (and I was told to we need to do stuff about 10 days ago...). Most of this is not. my. ducking. job. such as documentation for "Job descriptions, roles and responsibilities," "Security awareness training," and "Records of attendance to security training." I really wish I could just be a programmer, but I keep being pulled back into IT management...

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #176 on: July 13, 2018, 05:10:04 pm »

laugh1 Now with 1000% more space!

That's what I said too! She should be good until she retires Grin

I'm in PCI auditing hell... Apparently this is annual (which should be obvious), and apparently ours expires in 7 days (and I was told to we need to do stuff about 10 days ago...). Most of this is not. my. ducking. job. such as documentation for "Job descriptions, roles and responsibilities," "Security awareness training," and "Records of attendance to security training." I really wish I could just be a programmer, but I keep being pulled back into IT management...

No idea what exactly PCI auditing is but "auditing" always sounds painful. Good luck, just try to keep your head above the water Grin.

Yesterday we had our sprint planning for the next two weeks, and I had to show the not quite finished administrators documentation for my software project. I know there's a lot missing, and some things that are going to change shortly, so I'm not happy with it. The project managers were all excited with how much I completed! I was a bit taken back to be honest unsure. Apparently our other developers try to give the very minimal amount of documentation, and the project managers have to fight with them to get something usable. So they were happy with mine ... damn military training.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #177 on: July 13, 2018, 06:23:05 pm »

No idea what exactly PCI auditing is but "auditing" always sounds painful. Good luck, just try to keep your head above the water Grin.
Basically there are rules to who can touch credit card data. One of those rules is that you won't give said data to companies who don't follow the rules. So we have to get a certification that says our systems are secure. The reason this is difficult is mostly due to the required "policies & procedures." Our systems pass all the "penetration testing" and all of that, but we don't have a lot of things written down and "umm, I do these things because I've been doing them for 20 years... if I don't keep the systems up to date then it creates a headache for me so of course I do it!" doesn't count for much.
My issue is that I don't feel like I can do a lot of these items, coming up with documents of company policies is not my bag.

Yesterday we had our sprint planning for the next two weeks, and I had to show the not quite finished administrators documentation for my software project. I know there's a lot missing, and some things that are going to change shortly, so I'm not happy with it. The project managers were all excited with how much I completed!
heh, it is a good feeling when something you think is not up to par goes above and beyond expectation (just don't let it make you complacent).

I was a bit taken back to be honest unsure. Apparently our other developers try to give the very minimal amount of documentation, and the project managers have to fight with them to get something usable. So they were happy with mine ... damn military training.
developer documentation, what's that? unsure

Just booked the band's second show, nov 10th. Will be playing with some old friends. I recently got a new speaker cabinet. The one I had, I bought in a rush because I was supposed to start a band two years ago with some old bandmates, but that never came through. I didn't like it because it was 70lbs, and after lugging around my huge cabinet throughout the 90s I vowed to "travel light" this time. I've had my eye on the one I bought (40lbs) for a couple years, I just couldn't justify the cost ($250), especially since I had one. Well, I brows teh used gear on CraigsList on occasion and saw one for $135! I figured it would be "road worn" for that price, but nope... looks brand new!

Trying to figure out how the band can keep schedules and decisions straight... we have a "group chat" but it's easy for things to get lost or missed, especially when our drummer can only check it a few tiems a day and it can get chatty in there. We started a google calendar but I'm not sure how often it will get used.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2018, 09:41:38 am »

LoL just saw this image with the description below, thought you'd get a chuckle

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2018, 03:17:46 pm »

My issue is that I don't feel like I can do a lot of these items, coming up with documents of company policies is not my bag.
And I'm still working on these policy documents Another Tounge We made it past the "self evaluation" and I have a list of things to handle before we go through a real audit.

I recently got a new speaker cabinet.
And it sounds great! Very "growly." We're recording two songs tomorrow, semi-pro (as in a guy we know from another band has some gear and is going to come to our practice space).

LoL just saw this image with the description below, thought you'd get a chuckle
heh, I've seen it before, but always makes me smile.

I need to NOT chew gum during performances... (and lose 20-30 lbs... although I think dudes phone's lens is distorting things a bit): 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BljFRf3n9I8/?taken-by=reaganerarejects

..... .....

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
Print

Jump to: