June 22, 2018, 09:13:27 am
News: IF YOU ARE A MEMBER FROM THE ORIGINAL SITE AND CAN'T LOGIN. POST IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM (AS GUEST) AND AN ADMIN WILL ASSIST YOU TO ACCESS THE SITE!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 12059 times)
Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2018, 04:41:51 pm »

Hope all is going well for you guys. I'm on the countdown until my birthday. Been playing a lot of Minecraft recently. I'm on a new server where I brought the average age up by about 10 years Another Tounge

-- signature --

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2018, 02:33:44 pm »

Double post because I'm too lazy to edit.

I got a cool birthday gift. My wife got me a Samsung S3 Gear Frontier smart watch. It's really nice! Some of the things I like is that when I'm on my bike and my wife calls I don't have to try to stop and find my phone in my various pockets/backpack etc. I can just answer it right on my watch! I can even answer emails. It's going to be pretty useful, and it is stylish.

-- signature --

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2018, 04:33:56 pm »

Hello, is there anybody out there, just knod if you can hear me, is there anyone at home?

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2018, 05:33:20 pm »

Hello, is there anybody out there, just knod if you can hear me, is there anyone at home?
Ain't no body here but us chickens!

Just been super busy lately. Finally got the new servers (and even a new router/firewall, old one was not gigabit so it was a bottleneck) and finished the migration Tuesday. Last weekend the gal I've been spending time with's dad passed. He had been ill for a while but no one knew it was this bad till monday before last when they gave him 2-6weeks to live and called in hospice. We made it to their house last friday (we've been up there most weekends since he stated feeling ill), she said a few goodbyes to him, and he passed soon after.

I got a cool birthday gift.
Happy belated bday!

My wife got me a Samsung S3 Gear Frontier smart watch. It's really nice! Some of the things I like is that when I'm on my bike and my wife calls I don't have to try to stop and find my phone in my various pockets/backpack etc. I can just answer it right on my watch! I can even answer emails. It's going to be pretty useful, and it is stylish.
I had a similar device with my MS Phone, have yet to replace it with an android version but I miss all the things that you mentioned. Knowing instantly if a vibration was "phantom" or not was the best!

Y'all ever use a "chromebook?"

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2018, 06:11:43 pm »

Ain't no body here but us chickens!
Bock bock bock
Just been super busy lately. Finally got the new servers (and even a new router/firewall, old one was not gigabit so it was a bottleneck) and finished the migration Tuesday. Last weekend the gal I've been spending time with's dad passed. He had been ill for a while but no one knew it was this bad till monday before last when they gave him 2-6weeks to live and called in hospice. We made it to their house last friday (we've been up there most weekends since he stated feeling ill), she said a few goodbyes to him, and he passed soon after.

Good news on the servers. Sorry to hear about your girl's father. My condolences.

Happy belated bday!

Thanks, it seems every year I dread the next birthday, but then it comes and passes and it's not so bad, until the next one Sad

I had a similar device with my MS Phone, have yet to replace it with an android version but I miss all the things that you mentioned. Knowing instantly if a vibration was "phantom" or not was the best!

Well if you are looking for an Android replacement I can totally suggest the Samsung S3 Gear. It's a nice little device, and has a lot of other functions that I've come to enjoy. A little on the pricey side at around 300. We got it on sale for about 250 according to my wife.

Y'all ever use a "chromebook?"

Nope, either we have Linux or Windows installed on our laptops.

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2018, 10:05:30 pm »

Thanks, it seems every year I dread the next birthday, but then it comes and passes and it's not so bad, until the next one Sad
lol why do you dread it? Mine are always a non-event, for the most part. I typically don't let anyone know laugh1

Well if you are looking for an Android replacement I can totally suggest the Samsung S3 Gear. It's a nice little device, and has a lot of other functions that I've come to enjoy. A little on the pricey side at around 300. We got it on sale for about 250 according to my wife.
I've added a few to one of my amazon lists, I paid $200 for my MS Band (back in 2012?) so that's not too far off on price.

Nope, either we have Linux or Windows installed on our laptops.
Been looking at a laptop for gal's mom. Her current PC is sooooo  slow (and running Vista). I have no interest in trying to "fix" it and would rather just replace it. I'm pretty sure the only program she uses is chrome (for facebook & email) so was thinking a chromebook for < $200 is the way to go.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2018, 05:16:01 pm »

lol why do you dread it? Mine are always a non-event, for the most part. I typically don't let anyone know laugh1

I think I just don't like to think I'm getting old. I much prefer to think I'm still 25 yes
I've added a few to one of my amazon lists, I paid $200 for my MS Band (back in 2012?) so that's not too far off on price.

It's actually pretty useful. I can answer the phone, I can dictate text messages back. It interfaces with lots of apps that are on my phone, and actually has its own apps as well. It's a pretty solid device. So at around 300 Euros it's not badly priced I think.

I think my boss is trying to talk himself into getting one too. He keeps asking me questions about mine and what it can do, and what limitations it has etc.

Been looking at a laptop for gal's mom. Her current PC is sooooo  slow (and running Vista). I have no interest in trying to "fix" it and would rather just replace it. I'm pretty sure the only program she uses is chrome (for facebook & email) so was thinking a chromebook for < $200 is the way to go.

You could look into a simple laptop with a Pentium running Win10. I was amazed that Pentiums were still in use :shock: when my wife's colleague sent her new laptop to me for configuration.

So we had a bit of a scare with our dishwasher today, turned out that the drain section that connects to the sink was clogged enough to prevent it from running correctly. We were able to clear the blockage and the machine could drain again.

My boss called me in the other day saying he's thinking about finding some freelancers to do some work on non-essential projects, but things that could be used to expand our current core applications. He wants me to manage the externals. I said sure not a problem, just not sure how much travelling that is going to entail. So hey, you interested in doing some frontend work? Seriously if you know someone trustworthy that might be interested then give me their information, if they don't mind working remotely. The nice thing is that for these external positions you don't have to speak German, only English. It's not really a promotion but it does play to my strengths of working with people.

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2018, 05:33:32 pm »

I think I just don't like to think I'm getting old. I much prefer to think I'm still 25 yes
You're only as old as you feel/act jamie

You could look into a simple laptop with a Pentium running Win10. I was amazed that Pentiums were still in use :shock: when my wife's colleague sent her new laptop to me for configuration.
Yeah I saw a couple in the same price range (under $200) but one thing I was going for was preventing the "she clicks any links people send her" type viruses. I'll have to see if there is a way for me to remote manage (I installed teamviewer on my mom's pc last time I was there... would have saved me an hour of driving just to enter a product key (I still have no idea what she was doing wrong there...)).

Here is what I went with, it should be here tomorrow (but we won't see her for a couple weeks, is supposed to be a v-day gift anyway):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07193JRJR/

So we had a bit of a scare with our dishwasher today, turned out that the drain section that connects to the sink was clogged enough to prevent it from running correctly. We were able to clear the blockage and the machine could drain again.
Glad to hear you were able to fix it!

My boss called me in the other day saying he's thinking about finding some freelancers to do some work on non-essential projects, but things that could be used to expand our current core applications. He wants me to manage the externals. I said sure not a problem, just not sure how much travelling that is going to entail. So hey, you interested in doing some frontend work? Seriously if you know someone trustworthy that might be interested then give me their information, if they don't mind working remotely. The nice thing is that for these external positions you don't have to speak German, only English. It's not really a promotion but it does play to my strengths of working with people.
Well my front end skills are super outdated but my frontend guy here might be interested, I'll check next time I talk to him. thumb_yello (Update: I spoke with him and he does do freelance from time to time and he is interested, I'll email you his personal email address?)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 09:03:40 pm by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2018, 09:24:20 pm »

You're only as old as you feel/act jamie

Let's leave it at how I act yes

Yeah I saw a couple in the same price range (under $200) but one thing I was going for was preventing the "she clicks any links people send her" type viruses. I'll have to see if there is a way for me to remote manage (I installed teamviewer on my mom's pc last time I was there... would have saved me an hour of driving just to enter a product key (I still have no idea what she was doing wrong there...)).

Teamviewer is pretty useful that way, also great when you don't have to drive an hour to the site.

Here is what I went with, it should be here tomorrow (but we won't see her for a couple weeks, is supposed to be a v-day gift anyway):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07193JRJR/

Should work as long as she's ok with the menu system and all. If she's just browsing and reading emails though she shouldn't need much more.

Well my front end skills are super outdated but my frontend guy here might be interested, I'll check next time I talk to him. thumb_yello (Update: I spoke with him and he does do freelance from time to time and he is interested, I'll email you his personal email address?)

That would be fine. If you want you can even send him to this link https://cartago.com/pages/career_dev_frontend_en.html to see if it's anything he might be interested in.

-- signature --

Bonker Gudd
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2018, 12:24:28 am »

Probate time  bow_arrow

Bonker Gudd
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2018, 12:26:06 am »

Probate time  bow_arrow

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2018, 06:09:28 pm »

Twice even  jamie

-- signature --

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2018, 05:11:02 pm »

Looks like we've lost some posts.

Do you still get emails when I post here?

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2018, 05:18:16 pm »

Looks like we've lost some posts.
Yeah... there were two posts before the DNS switched over (and a few PMs between us) that went to the other database. I had actually copied & pasted them into a text file during that time, but I didn't save it... I have a bad habit of leaving "temp" files open in my text editor... and of course my computer was frozen the next morning requiring a hard boot doh

Do you still get emails when I post here?
I got this one yay

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2018, 08:38:28 pm »

Not a problem then.

I still need to get around to getting the configurations for my site finished, I'll let you know when I do.

-- signature --

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
Print

Jump to: