November 18, 2019, 10:35:52 pm
News: If someone gives you assistance give them a Good Star
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 39206 times)
Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #240 on: May 07, 2019, 06:36:54 pm »

I have mixed opinions. I do like music in other languages as it makes the vocal track just another instrument, but at the same time, sometimes the content/message is important.

Yeah I understand that. When I first heard Rammstein I didn't speak enough German to really understand the words, and the vocals were just part of the music. Then once I understood German more I could hear the messages that was in the music too (nothing bad, but sometimes very weird).

Ugh, had a "3 day weekend" for Easter...
I was going to use it to catch up on these two freelance gigs who's deadlines were both long ago... however... while I'm at band practice Thursday night, I start getting email alerts from my servers... so I go home after, instead of going out as planned, and I see the web server has crashed (I suspect a piece of software i didn't write has a memory leak and I should reboot the servers more often than I do) so I reboot them and go to bed...
I wake up Friday to all sorts of emails from alerts, co-workers, and clients... apparently the server crash caused a lot of data corruption that was causing the software to lag out, and crash again... and in turn, that caused interface queues to get full, and when I get things running again, well... So finally after 12 hours I have the data all cleaned up and am slowly turning on systems one by one.
Spent the following week adding fail-safes to the code that should prevent the corruption in the future.
Holy crap that's horrible. Yeah that can make a holiday/weekend pretty horrible.

Glad to hear you're feeling better!
Me too! Tongue it was a head cold which ended up as a light fever. I made a deal with my wife that when I have a fever I stay home.

Anything good?
A very silly British film about a boy who pulls Excaliber out of the stone. It's called "The kid who would be king". It's cute and funny and actually handles the Authurian legend pretty well. It has Patrick Stewart playing Merlin, at least occasionally. It was a fun time and the boys liked it.

lol. I went there once years (damn, i think it's been over a decade) ago when they first came to town. I think I recall the fries being pretty good.
Yes the fries a good, the burgers are pretty tasty too. My favorite though are the milkshakes. I love that you can have all kinds of different things in the milkshakes.

That's awesome! :clap:

I had posted it on a painting forum to ask some advice about the foreground, and a person asked if it was so red because something was wrong with the camera. I guess it is unusal to paint in mostly red tones Grin

Played a pretty terrible show on the 20th Another Tounge for some reason the stage was very dark so I was hitting wrong notes all over the place... I've now put glow-in-the-dark stickers where i can see them (I have to remember to "charge" them before playing lol )...

I would have thought you played by feel Another Tounge.

then, the headlining band [who is originally from the 80s (and a favorite of mine) but only has 1 original member]'s singer got silly drunk... like, he showed up drunk & shoeless...

Ok now that's drunk. I guess people are lucky he still had his pants.

I actually know him a bit (he's from a city a few hours away) and while he was on stage (he pulled off 3 or 4 songs before staggering off stage) he got tangled up in the mic cord and stand. While I was getting him untangled, the damn stand hit me in the face, right on the outside corner of my eyebrow... and split open lol... the worst part was having to explain what happened multiple times, while in a suit, on Easter Sunday...

Ouch! Yeah I could see that "Did you get in a fight? No, I got hit in the face with a mic stand. Did someone throw it at you?" Probably not too fun.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #241 on: May 10, 2019, 04:03:47 pm »

Ugh, had a "3 day weekend" for Easter...
I was going to use it to catch up on these two freelance gigs who's deadlines were both long ago... however... while I'm at band practice Thursday night, I start getting email alerts from my servers... so I go home after, instead of going out as planned, and I see the web server has crashed (I suspect a piece of software i didn't write has a memory leak and I should reboot the servers more often than I do) so I reboot them and go to bed...
I wake up Friday to all sorts of emails from alerts, co-workers, and clients... apparently the server crash caused a lot of data corruption that was causing the software to lag out, and crash again... and in turn, that caused interface queues to get full, and when I get things running again, well... So finally after 12 hours I have the data all cleaned up and am slowly turning on systems one by one.
Spent the following week adding fail-safes to the code that should prevent the corruption in the future.
Holy crap that's horrible. Yeah that can make a holiday/weekend pretty horrible.
Yup! I'm not sure if being a holiday made it better or worse for clients (who were all pretty much down since the server was so slow). I was told to pick another day to take off since I worked, and I was already planning to take the following Friday off (since playing that thurs), but ultimately it doesn't really matter because we don't really track that sort of thing (unless it becomes a problem).

Glad to hear you're feeling better!
Me too! Tongue it was a head cold which ended up as a light fever. I made a deal with my wife that when I have a fever I stay home.
That's the rule in the office too. So few employees means that more than a couple people missing can be a real mess. So I'm never sure when I should stay home or go in, but the general consensus is do not come in with a fever Another Tounge

Anything good?
A very silly British film about a boy who pulls Excaliber out of the stone. It's called "The kid who would be king". It's cute and funny and actually handles the Authurian legend pretty well. It has Patrick Stewart playing Merlin, at least occasionally. It was a fun time and the boys liked it.
That sounds fun! Speaking of Patrick Stewart, I've been working my way though Star Trek in its entirety... (I've never been a fan, I watched some of the original series & movies when I was a kid (under 13)) I'm currently halway through The next generation TV series (which reminds me, I need to obtain the TNG movies as they are next on the list).

lol. I went there once years (damn, i think it's been over a decade) ago when they first came to town. I think I recall the fries being pretty good.
Yes the fries a good, the burgers are pretty tasty too. My favorite though are the milkshakes. I love that you can have all kinds of different things in the milkshakes.
I can't say that I've had them, picking up a couple Ben & Jerry's shakes for date night this evening.

That's awesome! :clap:

I had posted it on a painting forum to ask some advice about the foreground, and a person asked if it was so red because something was wrong with the camera. I guess it is unusal to paint in mostly red tones Grin
lol, I wonder if they were being "passive aggressive" or not... The easel kinda shows that it's not the camera. Either way, I like it because of all the red. Makes me think "sunset in autumn."

Played a pretty terrible show on the 20th Another Tounge for some reason the stage was very dark so I was hitting wrong notes all over the place... I've now put glow-in-the-dark stickers where i can see them (I have to remember to "charge" them before playing lol )...

I would have thought you played by feel Another Tounge.
kinda Another Tounge but if you're off by .5" it's noticeable! 99% of the time I don't need to look, but it depends on the "distance" between notes. If jumping a large gap, I give a quick glance, but otherwise I'm not looking at my fret board.

then, the headlining band [who is originally from the 80s (and a favorite of mine) but only has 1 original member]'s singer got silly drunk... like, he showed up drunk & shoeless...

Ok now that's drunk. I guess people are lucky he still had his pants.
lol, well, there were a few pictures taken with them down (his posing, not like creep shots). When he showed up, he didn't have a shirt either, so I gave him one out of our merch box but he lost that before they even made it to the stage lol. I think the guitarist from band that played in between us & them (from Dallas) wound up with it and I'm fine w/that.

I actually know him a bit (he's from a city a few hours away) and while he was on stage (he pulled off 3 or 4 songs before staggering off stage) he got tangled up in the mic cord and stand. While I was getting him untangled, the damn stand hit me in the face, right on the outside corner of my eyebrow... and split open lol... the worst part was having to explain what happened multiple times, while in a suit, on Easter Sunday...

Ouch! Yeah I could see that "Did you get in a fight? No, I got hit in the face with a mic stand. Did someone throw it at you?" Probably not too fun.
Yup, I even said "at least if I would have gotten in a fight it would have made a decent story laugh1

Nothing new here. Pretty bad weather lately, and supposed to continue for a coupe days. One rehearsal canceled yesterday, so I'm currently looking at 3 different rehearsals this weekend (and mother's day) sofa

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #242 on: May 26, 2019, 06:39:23 pm »

So Friday my wife comes home from a meeting for the planned Family Service at church. Basically they have special services geared for families with children, in an attempt to get children to come to church. My wife is one of the members of the team that plan and perform these services. So anyway she had a meeting on Friday for the one planned in about 3 weeks and she says they need a landscape painting and since I paint landscapes that she volunteered me to do it. Which is not a big deal, since I do like to paint, and if it's a painting that others will see then I'll be happy. So anyway here's a link to a timelapse of my painting session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuuTdQ2a1Dw

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2019, 02:24:09 pm »

So anyway she had a meeting on Friday for the one planned in about 3 weeks and she says they need a landscape painting and since I paint landscapes that she volunteered me to do it.
laugh1 I guess she knows your "to do" list as well as anyone.

Which is not a big deal, since I do like to paint, and if it's a painting that others will see then I'll be happy.
That's good then!

So anyway here's a link to a timelapse of my painting session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuuTdQ2a1Dw
Very cool! yay Looks awesome too! Are you using something as a reference or just a picture in your mind's eye?

Not much new here, PCI compliance time again :cry:

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2019, 07:29:49 pm »

Very cool! yay Looks awesome too! Are you using something as a reference or just a picture in your mind's eye?

Mind's eye. I basically work up an idea in my head. Sometimes it's just start and see where it takes me.

Not much new here, PCI compliance time again :cry:

yay 

Yeah, I just basically finished a project and the customer already has a big change desired, so I'm spending this week writing a concept and making time estimates. We'll see how that works out. As of Friday I'm taking 2 weeks off because I need to just relax a bit. Kids are off school so I'll probably take them to see my wife's parents. My wife has to work, so it'll just be me, my in-laws and the kids which will still be nice.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2019, 08:13:48 pm »

Mind's eye. I basically work up an idea in my head. Sometimes it's just start and see where it takes me.
That's awesome!

Yeah, I just basically finished a project and the customer already has a big change desired, so I'm spending this week writing a concept and making time estimates. We'll see how that works out.
I hate that phase of projects.

As of Friday I'm taking 2 weeks off because I need to just relax a bit. Kids are off school so I'll probably take them to see my wife's parents.
always on vacation laugh1

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #246 on: June 27, 2019, 07:53:39 pm »

OMG IT'S FARGING HOT!!!! We are in the middle of a heat wave, and it sucks. German houses seldom have air conditioning, because like when they were built the summer was never this warm! So yeah, I'm sweating my butt off right now.

Vacation was nice. Had some quiet time, and basically didn't get anything I planned on doing done. Oh well, there's always next time Grin

Started back in the office this past Monday, and honestly it felt good to be back in the saddle again after the time off. I was able to jump in and started solving problems (aka fixing bugs) pretty fast. I should be good until September when we have our next break.

In September we're taking the kids to Hamburg via train. We'll spend a week or so up in Northern Germany. One of the coolest things we'll do is go see the miniature train system called Miniature Wunderland. It's freaking huge, with literally miles of track going all over the place. They have cars that actually drive, change lanes etc. Mountains with ski lifts, an airport with plane that take off and land, with the occasional guest appearance of a giant bee, and the Millennium Falcon. It's pretty spectacular, and our kids love it. Especially since they are still building on it. Every time we come back something new has been added. It's awesome.

While I was on vacation, our bicycle trailer arrived. It's also pretty cool. It can carry two racks of cola and a bit more. With this trailer, and our bike bags we can probably carry all the shopping we used to get into the car. Pictures of the Trailer in action --> https://www.instagram.com/p/BzM7FnjomMs/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

We have someone interested in buying our car. Then we will be completely car-free! It seems strange to say that, but when I think about it, all the money we spent on taxes, and insurance that we don't have to pay after we sell the car is going to be a nice little bonus for us.

So how's the bands going?

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #247 on: June 28, 2019, 08:07:19 pm »

OMG IT'S FARGING HOT!!!! We are in the middle of a heat wave, and it sucks. German houses seldom have air conditioning, because like when they were built the summer was never this warm! So yeah, I'm sweating my butt off right now.
yeah Sad been in the upper 90s here, i believe i saw 103 on my jeep's sensor once so far. Here the humidity ads a +10 F "feels like" temp and we've had a couple heat advisories... and it's only June!!

Vacation was nice. Had some quiet time, and basically didn't get anything I planned on doing done. Oh well, there's always next time Grin
Was a "staycation?"

In September we're taking the kids to Hamburg via train.
That. Sounds. Awesome! I've always wanted to take a train trip.

We'll spend a week or so up in Northern Germany. One of the coolest things we'll do is go see the miniature train system called Miniature Wunderland. It's freaking huge, with literally miles of track going all over the place. They have cars that actually drive, change lanes etc. Mountains with ski lifts, an airport with plane that take off and land, with the occasional guest appearance of a giant bee, and the Millennium Falcon. It's pretty spectacular, and our kids love it. Especially since they are still building on it. Every time we come back something new has been added. It's awesome.
That sounds really cool! I've always liked train sets. I used to like going to the railroad museum when I was younger, and I doubt that compares.

While I was on vacation, our bicycle trailer arrived. It's also pretty cool. It can carry two racks of cola and a bit more. With this trailer, and our bike bags we can probably carry all the shopping we used to get into the car. Pictures of the Trailer in action --> https://www.instagram.com/p/BzM7FnjomMs/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
but the heat!

We have someone interested in buying our car. Then we will be completely car-free! It seems strange to say that, but when I think about it, all the money we spent on taxes, and insurance that we don't have to pay after we sell the car is going to be a nice little bonus for us.
but the heat!
(and yup, this time of year I shell out more than a few hundred for inspections and registrations on my jeeps...)

So how's the bands going?
I kinda feel like things are stagnating, but they are still going.
My main band is going to New Orleans next month. I rented (hopefully getting paid back) us an entire house (Air BnB) for the night. Our replacement guitarist already quit (too busy), and we've already had one practice with the newest one (who happens to be the guitarist/singer from my secondary band).
Speaking of the secondary band, we added another guitarist and I believe he's fully integrated, our next show isn't till early August (but will be a big one).
The funny thing about the third band is that I kind of started it because the guitarist from the 2nd wanted to play in the 1st, so the 3rd was a combination of the members... but now that isn't really necessary... but the 3rd has a different, female, singer so I'm still curious to see where it will go. We haven't been able to get together for a second rehearsal though...

I had an eye appointment yesterday since I'm starting to run out of contacts. I told the Dr that I'm starting to experience the 40+ years old "change" in vision (nearsight/farsight) so she (and my sister before her) recommended I have one eye for near and one for far... so far it's a little weird laugh1

Other than that... it's pci compliance time again...
https://dilbert.com/strip/2000-08-15

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2019, 06:07:08 pm »

yeah Sad been in the upper 90s here, i believe i saw 103 on my jeep's sensor once so far. Here the humidity ads a +10 F "feels like" temp and we've had a couple heat advisories... and it's only June!!
Thankfully the weather cooled off considerably. Today it's actually pretty cool and rainy.

Was a "staycation?"

Yep pretty much. It was good though, and I was able to jump back into things at the office pretty well.

That. Sounds. Awesome! I've always wanted to take a train trip.
Depends on the train really. For this trip we'll be taking the ICE which is German fast train. It runs at speeds at over 250km/h (about 155mph). Still pretty relaxed though.

That sounds really cool! I've always liked train sets. I used to like going to the railroad museum when I was younger, and I doubt that compares.

It's pretty awsome here's a link https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/ (they have an English page)

but the heat!

It won't get better if people don't stop driving their cars short distances Wink

I kinda feel like things are stagnating, but they are still going.
My main band is going to New Orleans next month. I rented (hopefully getting paid back) us an entire house (Air BnB) for the night. Our replacement guitarist already quit (too busy), and we've already had one practice with the newest one (who happens to be the guitarist/singer from my secondary band).
Speaking of the secondary band, we added another guitarist and I believe he's fully integrated, our next show isn't till early August (but will be a big one).
The funny thing about the third band is that I kind of started it because the guitarist from the 2nd wanted to play in the 1st, so the 3rd was a combination of the members... but now that isn't really necessary... but the 3rd has a different, female, singer so I'm still curious to see where it will go. We haven't been able to get together for a second rehearsal though...

Well at least you won't be bored with all the options to play Grin

I had an eye appointment yesterday since I'm starting to run out of contacts. I told the Dr that I'm starting to experience the 40+ years old "change" in vision (nearsight/farsight) so she (and my sister before her) recommended I have one eye for near and one for far... so far it's a little weird laugh1

I'd probably run into walls constantly.

Other than that... it's pci compliance time again...
https://dilbert.com/strip/2000-08-15

yay

I was looking for idea on what I could do for my website, and I had originally thought that our hosts offered a Tomcat server, but now I see only a Node.js option. Just not sure if I could run the node.js and have the default HTML stuff. Basically I've forgotten everything I knew about PHP Tongue. Basically I'm thinking of how I could post blog posts without having to go through WordPress (and I'm certainly not going to install WordPress on my server, since it's so often attacked. Oh well, I figure something out eventually.

One thing I am thinking about is actually spending the money to get my own domain. So I'm looking for decent registrar to purchase from. Which one did you use to buy the Galahtech ones?

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #249 on: July 15, 2019, 03:40:09 pm »

Thankfully the weather cooled off considerably. Today it's actually pretty cool and rainy.
Cloudy & 85F here, crazy to think that I'm happy its "only" 85F sweat

It's pretty awsome here's a link https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/ (they have an English page)
oh wow! That's WAY more impressive than I could have imagined...

It won't get better if people don't stop driving their cars short distances Wink
True but I would literally be soaked if I traveled the 12 blocks to my office in any other way. Sad I guess I counteract it some with my vegetarian (almost vegan) lifestyle though.

Well at least you won't be bored with all the options to play Grin
Yep! I feel like I'm not playing live (not counting rehearsals, plenty of those) enough though... but i guess I have July 20th, Aug 2nd, Aug 17th, and Aug 31st coming up. Nothing on the calendar after those though :o

I'd probably run into walls constantly.
lol, it's not that bad. When you have one contact in, you basically have a blurry version of the world superimposed on a clear version, so things are "spotty." I think what i have at the moment is one eye is a less strong prescription, so that my "amplified" far vision isn't blurring my close vision, but my brain has to decide what eye to use when looking near or far. That's complex enough under optimal circumstances, but sometimes my bad habits let a contact get a little cloudy... and depending on what eye, that's a little problematic Another Tounge

I was looking for idea on what I could do for my website, and I had originally thought that our hosts offered a Tomcat server, but now I see only a Node.js option. Just not sure if I could run the node.js and have the default HTML stuff.
I honestly have no idea anymore. The host changed hands some time back and they now use "Plesk" instead of "HSphere" so I don't know where anything is anymore Another Tounge

Basically I've forgotten everything I knew about PHP Tongue. Basically I'm thinking of how I could post blog posts without having to go through WordPress (and I'm certainly not going to install WordPress on my server, since it's so often attacked. Oh well, I figure something out eventually.
There's ways to keep WP secure, and if you want, you can spin up a second "account" on the servers for a WP only site.

One thing I am thinking about is actually spending the money to get my own domain. So I'm looking for decent registrar to purchase from. Which one did you use to buy the Galahtech ones?
I use NameCheap.com, haven't had any issues so far.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #250 on: July 17, 2019, 07:41:16 pm »

Cloudy & 85F here, crazy to think that I'm happy its "only" 85F sweat

Spoke too soon, it's going to get hot here again this weekend sweat

oh wow! That's WAY more impressive than I could have imagined...
The place is massive. The only problem they have now is that they are running out of space. They have lots of ideas, just not enough room to expand Sad

True but I would literally be soaked if I traveled the 12 blocks to my office in any other way. Sad I guess I counteract it some with my vegetarian (almost vegan) lifestyle though.
Not so bad if you have a shower in the office. I normally just use a wash rag to get the majority of the stink off of me and then take a shower when I'm home.

Yep! I feel like I'm not playing live (not counting rehearsals, plenty of those) enough though... but i guess I have July 20th, Aug 2nd, Aug 17th, and Aug 31st coming up. Nothing on the calendar after those though :o
Artists are that way I guess. I feel that I'm not painting enough and should spend more time at the easel. I did a painting for my wife's family church service, and the priest said he wants to visit and watch while I paint sometime. That is kind of cool and other than my family I seldom have an audience Wink

lol, it's not that bad. When you have one contact in, you basically have a blurry version of the world superimposed on a clear version, so things are "spotty." I think what i have at the moment is one eye is a less strong prescription, so that my "amplified" far vision isn't blurring my close vision, but my brain has to decide what eye to use when looking near or far. That's complex enough under optimal circumstances, but sometimes my bad habits let a contact get a little cloudy... and depending on what eye, that's a little problematic Another Tounge
I have bifocals now as it is and I still get confused by the damned things :grr:

I honestly have no idea anymore. The host changed hands some time back and they now use "Plesk" instead of "HSphere" so I don't know where anything is anymore Another Tounge

Yeah the layout is absolutely different. I do like the fact that you can update and use different versions of PHP now and actually use a modern version.

There's ways to keep WP secure, and if you want, you can spin up a second "account" on the servers for a WP only site.
How would I go about spinning up a second account? I only see the stuff for GT and my personal site when I login.

I use NameCheap.com, haven't had any issues so far.

Cool, and the prices don't look too bad. Need to try and convince my wife that I need to do this Wink

Man I had such a weird day today. It started with our sprint planning this week, and I thought I was going to have trouble with some of the stories that were assigned to me. This apparently was wrong since I closed the last of the difficult stories today and only have easy or boring things to work on through next week. Then I was bombarded by our partner company for a project we're (read I'm) working on for them, and was finally successful in getting their bugs fixed (at least the bugs that I wrote Grin ). I also had a call from my former company. They need to make changes to the software I helped author for their big customer ( only the German Navy ) and wanted to know if I would be interested in helping them for an hourly payment. I said I would have to check with my current employer (German laws on such things can be kind of touchy), and I would let them know by the end of the week. I'm about 75% sure that my boss won't have a problem with it as long as it doesn't become a habit. The good thing is that I have them over a barrel basically. I'm the only person they know that has any experience with the system and software. Otherwise they have to hire some guy off the street, and hope he can figure out the mess. I'm not overly excited about the idea of working for them again, even if I'll be charging them hourly (looking at charging them about 100 Euros an hour). Mostly because I don't trust their leadership. Especially since they nearly stiffed me once for about 350 Euros a couple of years ago. If it wasn't for another guy (who they also stiffed but for a much higher value) taking them to court I wouldn't have gotten the money. Honestly, part of me would be happy if my boss says he has no problem, and a part of me hopes he says no. It's kind of weird. I think it has something to do with the way I was raised. My parents were usually fairly loyal to their company, and this was the first company I worked for after the military and they helped me get my foot in the door for living in Germany (which I enjoy greatly). So I kind of have some sort of odd loyalty to them for the help they gave me when getting started.
Ok enough about that. The rest of my weird day was that we've been having some hot water problems. Here in Germany the hot water heater is part of your heating system. SO as it was summer and really hot we really didn't mind that we didn't have hot water. For shaving I just boiled some water and mixed it with colder water and was able to shave just fine. Cold showers aren't horrible when it's really hot outside. However, on Sunday (when it wasn't so hot outside) I told my wife that I've reached my limit with cold showers and that she needed to call the guy to come look at our furnace. Which he did today, and just before he arrived my wife checked the warm water and it was ... warm. Not really hot but comfortable enough to take a shower, which everyone in the family did (except me as I was still in the office). Now the heating guy took a look  at our heater, and said it's not heating as in the fire isn't lighting at all as if there is no gas. Which makes me a bit worried. Not that we had our gas disconnected, since our payments are automatically taken from our bank account, but that we might have some sort of gas blockage which could be expensive to repair. In any case another guy who is more familiar with the furnace is on his way on Friday to look at things. We'll see how bad this is going to be. The good thing is that the bills we get from this we can write off on taxes Grin

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #251 on: July 25, 2019, 03:25:13 pm »

The place is massive. The only problem they have now is that they are running out of space. They have lots of ideas, just not enough room to expand Sad
Well, the answer to that is to start making things limited time only. To add something new, they'll have to remove something exiting. Would make for more repeat traffic since people can't say "yeah, I've already been there."

Not so bad if you have a shower in the office. I normally just use a wash rag to get the majority of the stink off of me and then take a shower when I'm home.
We don't Another Tounge I don't think I could get clean enough in the sink either. And the worst part is once I start sweating, it's hard to stop.

Artists are that way I guess. I feel that I'm not painting enough and should spend more time at the easel. I did a painting for my wife's family church service, and the priest said he wants to visit and watch while I paint sometime. That is kind of cool and other than my family I seldom have an audience Wink
I have a show every other week starting last weekend :rock: Till September, after that though... unsure

I have bifocals now as it is and I still get confused by the damned things :grr:
heh. Getting used to my situation. I'm going to switch back for a month or two (to use up old contacts), assuming I can stand going back.

How would I go about spinning up a second account? I only see the stuff for GT and my personal site when I login.
I meant I could create one for you.

Cool, and the prices don't look too bad. Need to try and convince my wife that I need to do this Wink
I remember my first domain name Grin Now, it's not uncommon for me to have a "great" idea and grab a domain name, only to watch it expire before I do anything with it laugh1

I also had a call from my former company. They need to make changes to the software I helped author for their big customer ( only the German Navy ) and wanted to know if I would be interested in helping them for an hourly payment. I said I would have to check with my current employer (German laws on such things can be kind of touchy), and I would let them know by the end of the week. I'm about 75% sure that my boss won't have a problem with it as long as it doesn't become a habit. The good thing is that I have them over a barrel basically. I'm the only person they know that has any experience with the system and software. Otherwise they have to hire some guy off the street, and hope he can figure out the mess.
ugh, yeah, right now I'm still dealing with my two side gigs on top of work & bands... I don't think I'll take on any more anytime soon laugh1

I'm not overly excited about the idea of working for them again, even if I'll be charging them hourly (looking at charging them about 100 Euros an hour). Mostly because I don't trust their leadership. Especially since they nearly stiffed me once for about 350 Euros a couple of years ago. If it wasn't for another guy (who they also stiffed but for a much higher value) taking them to court I wouldn't have gotten the money. Honestly, part of me would be happy if my boss says he has no problem, and a part of me hopes he says no. It's kind of weird. I think it has something to do with the way I was raised. My parents were usually fairly loyal to their company, and this was the first company I worked for after the military and they helped me get my foot in the door for living in Germany (which I enjoy greatly). So I kind of have some sort of odd loyalty to them for the help they gave me when getting started.
Yeah... I know what you mean. This company hired me with no formal coding exp (and no formal education), I'm a bit embarrassed when people ask (or assume) how much I make and I could make more elsewhere, but this odd sense of loyalty keeps me here. (I did get a bit of a raise not long ago though, still not what I was going to ask for a couple years back, but better than I got a couple years back Another Tounge )

Ok enough about that. The rest of my weird day was that we've been having some hot water problems. Here in Germany the hot water heater is part of your heating system. SO as it was summer and really hot we really didn't mind that we didn't have hot water. For shaving I just boiled some water and mixed it with colder water and was able to shave just fine. Cold showers aren't horrible when it's really hot outside.
heh, no. After spending that time I spent in the wilderness, all my showers are long and hot. (and multiple per day)

However, on Sunday (when it wasn't so hot outside) I told my wife that I've reached my limit with cold showers and that she needed to call the guy to come look at our furnace. Which he did today, and just before he arrived my wife checked the warm water and it was ... warm. Not really hot but comfortable enough to take a shower, which everyone in the family did (except me as I was still in the office). Now the heating guy took a look  at our heater, and said it's not heating as in the fire isn't lighting at all as if there is no gas. Which makes me a bit worried. Not that we had our gas disconnected, since our payments are automatically taken from our bank account, but that we might have some sort of gas blockage which could be expensive to repair. In any case another guy who is more familiar with the furnace is on his way on Friday to look at things. We'll see how bad this is going to be.
That sucks! Hopefully not too bad. I had similar issues twice up north, once was "water in the line" and once was like a flake of rust, both were resolved fairly quickly.

The good thing is that the bills we get from this we can write off on taxes Grin
Oh? Why is that?

Played in New Orleans last weekend, was fun! The 6 hours in the jeep both ways kinda sucked though. I drove, so not that bad for me, but the 3 guys in the back seat were not happy Another Tounge Rented an entire house for $50 a member (that reminds me, not everyone paid me back :o ) that was pretty nice, enough sleeping areas that no one had to share a bed or floor. The show went well also, didn't sell any merch though...

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #252 on: July 26, 2019, 06:10:26 pm »

Well, the answer to that is to start making things limited time only. To add something new, they'll have to remove something exiting. Would make for more repeat traffic since people can't say "yeah, I've already been there."

That might work, but the amount of time they put into building these sections kind of makes that hard. I'm sure they will think of something.

We don't Another Tounge I don't think I could get clean enough in the sink either. And the worst part is once I start sweating, it's hard to stop.

Did you know if you drink ice cold water (or ice cold drinks in general) that you sweat more? It's because your body is trying to warm you back up  Evil

I have a show every other week starting last weekend :rock: Till September, after that though... unsure

I'm sure more will come your way Grin

heh. Getting used to my situation. I'm going to switch back for a month or two (to use up old contacts), assuming I can stand going back.

Evil

I meant I could create one for you.

That would be cool. Can you set me up one with a Linux OS?

I remember my first domain name Grin Now, it's not uncommon for me to have a "great" idea and grab a domain name, only to watch it expire before I do anything with it laugh1

I never have a great idea for a name Tongue I suck at naming things. Not as bad as some people though.

ugh, yeah, right now I'm still dealing with my two side gigs on top of work & bands... I don't think I'll take on any more anytime soon laugh1

Yeah, well I had a sit down with them today. They are pretty desperate, and if they can't pull this off then I'm sure the company will die. Sad I gave them a price of 85 per hour, but told them that the first time my invoice doesn't get paid the contract will be over, no ands ifs or buts.  Angry

Yeah... I know what you mean. This company hired me with no formal coding exp (and no formal education), I'm a bit embarrassed when people ask (or assume) how much I make and I could make more elsewhere, but this odd sense of loyalty keeps me here. (I did get a bit of a raise not long ago though, still not what I was going to ask for a couple years back, but better than I got a couple years back Another Tounge )

Exactly. Now the cool thing is that they were able to get another of the old team to come back too. So at least I have a person (I can actually trust) there with me. We'll have to see how it works out.

heh, no. After spending that time I spent in the wilderness, all my showers are long and hot. (and multiple per day)

That's the thing with us ex-military guys, we are so used to cold showers it doesn't phase us much. Although after a while I do want a nice hot shower, just for the sake of my muscles.

That sucks! Hopefully not too bad. I had similar issues twice up north, once was "water in the line" and once was like a flake of rust, both were resolved fairly quickly.

They called in the guy from the manufacturer, and he was able to identify that the computer was broken. He replaced it and we had hot water again. We'll have to see how much it's going to cost us now. We still need to have some work on the heater so that when we turn on the hot water it doesn't sound like a helicopter lifting off ( wub wub wub wub wub  Roll Eyes ). That we've had done before and it's not too bad.

Oh? Why is that?

Ok not the whole bill, but the labor costs we can write off. Since it is our house and such the German tax laws allow it, so I'm not going to argue  jamie

Played in New Orleans last weekend, was fun! The 6 hours in the jeep both ways kinda sucked though. I drove, so not that bad for me, but the 3 guys in the back seat were not happy Another Tounge Rented an entire house for $50 a member (that reminds me, not everyone paid me back :o ) that was pretty nice, enough sleeping areas that no one had to share a bed or floor. The show went well also, didn't sell any merch though...

You got 4 people, with guitars and equipment into one jeep? How big of a jeep do you have?

Rental houses work out pretty nice. Usually when we go to Denmark for vacation we rent a house. For next year we're going to do that again and the house rental will cost about 500 Euros. The house can hold 10 people so that would be about 50 per person. It has a swimming pool inside too Wink We have some friends who might stay for a few nights as well. They are a young family and we've kind of adopted them Grin

So we've had another heatwave this week, and it was worse than the last one. At least now it is raining and it should continue to rain the rest of the week which brings the temperature back down.

Hey I'm curious, are you still playing Star Pirates? I see an msimmons playing there and keep wondering if that is you.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #253 on: July 26, 2019, 07:25:08 pm »

That might work, but the amount of time they put into building these sections kind of makes that hard. I'm sure they will think of something.
Yeah, that or build upward.

Did you know if you drink ice cold water (or ice cold drinks in general) that you sweat more? It's because your body is trying to warm you back up  Evil
I did not! I rarely drink cold drinks, except beer.

I'm sure more will come your way Grin
Already have a show in December since my last posting (possibly both bands on same show).

That would be cool. Can you set me up one with a Linux OS?
I've added it to my to do list for the weekend thumb_yello

Yeah, well I had a sit down with them today. They are pretty desperate, and if they can't pull this off then I'm sure the company will die. Sad I gave them a price of 85 per hour, but told them that the first time my invoice doesn't get paid the contract will be over, no ands ifs or buts.  Angry
What happened to 100E? Sounds like you have them over a barrel too!

That's the thing with us ex-military guys, we are so used to cold showers it doesn't phase us much. Although after a while I do want a nice hot shower, just for the sake of my muscles.
heh, my dad used to say that too, and I don't even think he was in for that long. There's been times when I had no choice, I can do it, but I definitely don't like it.

You got 4 people, with guitars and equipment into one jeep? How big of a jeep do you have?
FIVE people laugh1 We didn't have all the gear, since it was a lot of bands, there was a "back line" for the drums. Usually there will be for the guitar/bass speakers as well, but not this time, so we shared with another band from Houston that was on the same gig (and they had a van). Was still cramped with the back of the jeep packed 100% full.

Rental houses work out pretty nice. Usually when we go to Denmark for vacation we rent a house. For next year we're going to do that again and the house rental will cost about 500 Euros. The house can hold 10 people so that would be about 50 per person. It has a swimming pool inside too Wink We have some friends who might stay for a few nights as well. They are a young family and we've kind of adopted them Grin
That sounds like an awesome time! (The indoor pool makes me think of a house I saw when I was house shopping in 2008... I kinda regret not going for that Another Tounge )

So we've had another heatwave this week, and it was worse than the last one. At least now it is raining and it should continue to rain the rest of the week which brings the temperature back down.
We've had unusually "cool" weather here, in the 80s... very strange.

Hey I'm curious, are you still playing Star Pirates? I see an msimmons playing there and keep wondering if that is you.
I just started back last week :o I was going to mention it to you. You've been playing?

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #254 on: July 27, 2019, 08:45:21 am »

Yeah, that or build upward.

Not sure if that's possible they are in the middle two floors of this building https://www.google.de/maps/place/Miniatur+Wunderland/@53.5445185,9.9891525,96a,35y,206.4h,45.03t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47b18f046c70d7e1:0xa74ecf412ecd18ba!8m2!3d53.5437292!4d9.9885157 I'm not sure what's above them though Grin

Already have a show in December since my last posting (possibly both bands on same show).

Sounds like you're going to be tired after that show

I've added it to my to do list for the weekend thumb_yello

Great just let me know through the PMs.

What happened to 100E? Sounds like you have them over a barrel too!

I kind of feel sorry for them. I still will drop them if they don't pay though.

heh, my dad used to say that too, and I don't even think he was in for that long. There's been times when I had no choice, I can do it, but I definitely don't like it.

That's the secret, you don't stay in very long. Get wet, get washed, get rinsed, get out Wink

FIVE people laugh1 We didn't have all the gear, since it was a lot of bands, there was a "back line" for the drums. Usually there will be for the guitar/bass speakers as well, but not this time, so we shared with another band from Houston that was on the same gig (and they had a van). Was still cramped with the back of the jeep packed 100% full.

yikes No wonder they were grumpy laugh1

That sounds like an awesome time! (The indoor pool makes me think of a house I saw when I was house shopping in 2008... I kinda regret not going for that Another Tounge )

The boys were more interested that there was a kids room (with multiple beds) with a playstation  Roll Eyes

We've had unusually "cool" weather here, in the 80s... very strange.

Be happy I guess.

I just started back last week :o I was going to mention it to you. You've been playing?

Yeah I started back, had to start a new character since my old one was retired for inactivity. I'm playing with the [PDH] fleet as JackTRipper Wink

-- signature --

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
Print

Jump to: