May 20, 2019, 04:30:10 am
News: If your question is answered please put [RESOLVED] in the subject of the initial message.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 32003 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2019, 05:48:20 pm »

Just checking in to let you know I'm still alive Grin
Good to hear! yay

We had a big change at the office, and have combined the two development teams into a single one. This means I'm doing more for our main products which is nice, but also means I'm doing a lot more work Grin
And a lot more pay? unsure :sarcasm:

It went pretty well. I didn't learn any of the old songs beforehand but we picked back up really quick. Honestly I think we'll be ready for a gig after another practice or two :shocked:
Welp, our first show will be March 9th laugh1 On top of that, we're skipping the "new band" queue and straight to "second to headlining" rofl_yello I had forgotten that sometime in the past 20 years the singer/guitarist toured as a member with some big name punk bands so I guess that ups our credentials a bit. I still don't know our songs, yet I can play them... it's so wierd... muscle memory is one hell of a concept. I plan to write them out just in case it doesn't kick in Another Tounge

So, as I was turning 40, everyone was all "things start to go downhill from here, everything breaks." 40 came and went w/o issue... but wtf 42... my eyesight is ducked and my back has been hurting for days :getoffmylawn:

I finally got cleared to hire a dba for a bit of consulting work to look at my databases! Found a guy that sounds great too! Now I have to figure out the security implications & procedures of having him connect his laptop & software to our environment.

My main band is going to the recording studio sat, hoping to do 4 songs (like 6 minutes of material) in 2 hours... I hate recording...

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2019, 09:28:53 pm »

Good to hear! yay

My thought as well Grin

And a lot more pay? unsure :sarcasm:

No, but I am working on our main product now, and not just dream ideas from the boss, which makes me feel a little more productive.

Welp, our first show will be March 9th laugh1 On top of that, we're skipping the "new band" queue and straight to "second to headlining" rofl_yello I had forgotten that sometime in the past 20 years the singer/guitarist toured as a member with some big name punk bands so I guess that ups our credentials a bit. I still don't know our songs, yet I can play them... it's so wierd... muscle memory is one hell of a concept. I plan to write them out just in case it doesn't kick in Another Tounge

Yeah, that's what you get for being partially famous or at least knowing partially famous people Wink. Closest famous person I know is my wife, and that's only because so many women in the town know her from having her as a midwife Grin

So, as I was turning 40, everyone was all "things start to go downhill from here, everything breaks." 40 came and went w/o issue... but wtf 42... my eyesight is ducked and my back has been hurting for days :getoffmylawn:

Tell me about it, at 40 I only had my normal glasses that I'd have had since a kid. Then I turn 45 and I have to get bi-focals because now I can't read with my glasses on. I have an eye doctor's appointment on Monday because, the bi-focals I got two years ago, aren't helping and I'm having problems reading. Getting old sucks!

I finally got cleared to hire a dba for a bit of consulting work to look at my databases! Found a guy that sounds great too! Now I have to figure out the security implications & procedures of having him connect his laptop & software to our environment.

We gave our externals a VPN access to our network so that they can use the SVN, and issue trackers in-house. It just made things easier.

My main band is going to the recording studio sat, hoping to do 4 songs (like 6 minutes of material) in 2 hours... I hate recording...

Oh yeah because you have to keep redoing things if the slightest harmonic is off right?

So I've decided that I'm going to try and paint at least once a month. It's amazing how relaxing it can be, although our basement smells pretty strongly afterwards Wink

Here's my February painting.

https://imgur.com/a/wBnneA0

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #227 on: February 18, 2019, 05:05:33 pm »

No, but I am working on our main product now, and not just dream ideas from the boss, which makes me feel a little more productive.
Well that's good too!

Yeah, that's what you get for being partially famous or at least knowing partially famous people Wink. Closest famous person I know is my wife, and that's only because so many women in the town know her from having her as a midwife Grin
What's kind of funny is that when I played w/these guys 20 years ago, part of my "bad attitude" was the feeling of "starting over." Previous to playing with them, I had spent years building my punk band from scratch, having never even played at a "real" venue beforehand. When that band broke up, after trying a few things that didn't stick, I got with these guys. Going from not having to "work" to get gigs, back to the beginning, was rough Another Tounge When I started my current punk band, I knew there would be "dues to pay" but being "connected" it wouldn't be as hard.

Tell me about it, at 40 I only had my normal glasses that I'd have had since a kid. Then I turn 45 and I have to get bi-focals because now I can't read with my glasses on. I have an eye doctor's appointment on Monday because, the bi-focals I got two years ago, aren't helping and I'm having problems reading. Getting old sucks!
I think I have 6 months of contacts at the moment, so I plan to get mine checked in about 4 months. I guess I'll find out what to do then... I can't wear glasses though, they give me headaches.

We gave our externals a VPN access to our network so that they can use the SVN, and issue trackers in-house. It just made things easier.
Yeah, I think my boss is pretty concerned about the contractor creating vulnerabilities whether they mean to or not.

Oh yeah because you have to keep redoing things if the slightest harmonic is off right?
yep! It went pretty well though! Basically we all play together because we have to get a good take on the drum track. If the other instruments are good from those takes, then done, otherwise we have to "punch in." Something that kind of blew my mind was that these days they can copy & paste too... I knew there was a one or two note mistake on my part, but that same "phrase" is done 4x in the song. The engineer just took the best one, copied it, and pasted it over the other 3 laugh1 We had to do a few takes on each song and afterward I only had to "re-do" the last few bars of one song. Turns out I'll be back in the studio this Sunday with my other band sofa

So I've decided that I'm going to try and paint at least once a month. It's amazing how relaxing it can be, although our basement smells pretty strongly afterwards Wink
So that's why it's relaxing hmm Maybe you should ventilate better. Another Tounge Looks great!

..... .....

Bonker Gudd
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #228 on: February 23, 2019, 12:59:15 am »

Quote my Goat.

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2019, 07:07:46 pm »

Back to work after a short vacation. We took the boys to London last week. It was fun, and we saw a lot of sights in the few days we were there.

How's things going for everyone?

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #230 on: March 15, 2019, 06:58:57 pm »

Back to work after a short vacation.
Welcome back!

Same 'ol same 'ol here. Had my first gig with the "new" band last weekend, after being together for just over 1 month... here's my favorite shot from the night:

https://imgur.com/a/1bI3xRC

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #231 on: March 16, 2019, 12:08:34 pm »

Back to work after a short vacation.
Welcome back!

Same 'ol same 'ol here. Had my first gig with the "new" band last weekend, after being together for just over 1 month... here's my favorite shot from the night:

https://imgur.com/a/1bI3xRC

That photo is awesome! Very dynamic Grin

Here's a picture of me trying Butter-Beer at the Harry Potter Studios in England https://imgur.com/08clW77

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2019, 03:23:07 pm »

That photo is awesome! Very dynamic Grin
Yeah, I love it! There are a few photographers in the scene (ok, more than a few... some shows, typically the older (older than me by 10+years) local scene get a little wierd... ) So I invited one to come out. He was pretty stoked at getting the shot.

Here's a picture of me trying Butter-Beer at the Harry Potter Studios in England https://imgur.com/08clW77
heh, it looks like you don't approve, or are still deciding if you do. I had some once, found it in a candy shop, it's like drinking liquid butterscotch laugh1

I went to Austin last weekend, my guitarist was playing with his other band and didn't want to drive alone, our drummer came with us too. On the way up, we learned that a Houston band that was around about 20 years ago, but had broken up, was playing (at a different venue 15mins walk away) so I went over there and caught that set. It was great and I never thought I would get to see that band live! (did miss my guitarist's band as a result, but I've seen them many, many, times.)

We're playing Austin, at a benefit show, in two weeks. Apparently there is camping, which kind of sounds fun, but I think we're just going to drive back after the show.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #233 on: March 24, 2019, 10:10:32 am »

Yeah, I love it! There are a few photographers in the scene (ok, more than a few... some shows, typically the older (older than me by 10+years) local scene get a little wierd... ) So I invited one to come out. He was pretty stoked at getting the shot.

He should be that was a great pic.

heh, it looks like you don't approve, or are still deciding if you do. I had some once, found it in a candy shop, it's like drinking liquid butterscotch laugh1

I was trying to think of what to make of it. It was kind of what I had expected it to taste like but the extra buttery taste with the whipped creme on top was really strong. My wife and I drank most of the cup, our boys all tried it but none liked it.

I went to Austin last weekend, my guitarist was playing with his other band and didn't want to drive alone, our drummer came with us too. On the way up, we learned that a Houston band that was around about 20 years ago, but had broken up, was playing (at a different venue 15mins walk away) so I went over there and caught that set. It was great and I never thought I would get to see that band live! (did miss my guitarist's band as a result, but I've seen them many, many, times.)

We're playing Austin, at a benefit show, in two weeks. Apparently there is camping, which kind of sounds fun, but I think we're just going to drive back after the show.

Wow that's rare. I've recently heard of a band that was relatively unkown but for one town in California. They produced a few records, but they never took off and basically went their own ways in around 2000. Apparently their fan base although small at the time was really into their music. When there records would be put up on Ebay they would be really expensive. They've eventually started playing gigs again in a plan to release some of their albums so that the prices make their muisc more available. Here's an article about them, it was kind of cool https://www.npr.org/2019/03/22/705591894/the-old-disappearing-reappearing-band-trick

-- signature --

Bonker Gudd
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #234 on: March 26, 2019, 01:02:29 am »

Butter me up eatyum

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2019, 07:32:47 pm »

He should be that was a great pic.
A friend of mine got some video, not sure if the jump at around 1:45 is the one from the pic or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sduqEcQ_YTg

My wife and I drank most of the cup, our boys all tried it but none liked it.
Weird to think of kids not liking it. I guess butterscotch is considered old people candy Another Tounge

Wow that's rare. I've recently heard of a band that was relatively unkown but for one town in California. They produced a few records, but they never took off and basically went their own ways in around 2000. Apparently their fan base although small at the time was really into their music. When there records would be put up on Ebay they would be really expensive. They've eventually started playing gigs again in a plan to release some of their albums so that the prices make their muisc more available. Here's an article about them, it was kind of cool https://www.npr.org/2019/03/22/705591894/the-old-disappearing-reappearing-band-trick
I think this was a one time thing (which is why I made sure to get there).

Butter me up eatyum
Buttercup, don't break my heart!

Busy week for me. Back in the studio with Reagan Era Rejects tonight, recording vocals and hopefully wrapping up the 4 tracks. Toxic Origin practice tomorrow, Reagan Era Rejects practice Thurs. Planning to stay in Friday night because driving to Austin to play (Reagan Era Rejects) and then driving back.
doh

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #236 on: April 18, 2019, 06:13:45 pm »

Wooo!!! 4 day weekend Grin

Man the last couple of weeks has been just busy busy. I'm involved with writing project code for a partner company allowing them to automate their invoicing process with their customer, and even with having some issues I'm still ahead of schedule. Enough so I could make the development leader for our product happy by fixing a couple of bugs in our OMG horribly written importer code (everyone acknowledges it is horrible). Then in the evenings I've been doing more around the house. Next week we have my parents-in-law over for our youngest son's first communion.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend, I know I will Grin

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2019, 07:01:08 pm »

Wooo!!! 4 day weekend Grin
Mine starts in 3 hours! Then I go home, shower, change, and back out for the first of two band rehearsals laugh1

Man the last couple of weeks has been just busy busy. I'm involved with writing project code for a partner company allowing them to automate their invoicing process with their customer, and even with having some issues I'm still ahead of schedule. Enough so I could make the development leader for our product happy by fixing a couple of bugs in our OMG horribly written importer code (everyone acknowledges it is horrible). Then in the evenings I've been doing more around the house. Next week we have my parents-in-law over for our youngest son's first communion.
That does sound busy, but productive!

Hope everyone has a nice weekend, I know I will Grin
I'm already so booked up... two rehearsals tonight (and hopefully making it to a show but doubtful). Freelance all day tomorrow (SOOOO past my deadlines...), I have shows on teh calendar but may stay in tv_happy Have a show to play Saturday (should be a good one too, punk band from teh 80s (even though only 1 orig member at this point)). Sunday is Easter AND my mom's birthday...

Here's a clip from last weekend:
https://youtu.be/26o93rOjuno

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #238 on: May 03, 2019, 05:05:37 pm »

Finally got to listen to your clip. I have to admit I had a hard time understanding what the singer was saying, but maybe that's the point, the words should just be background to the music Grin

Well since Easter we've been all really busy. Thankfully work has been pretty productive as well. Now if only our client will finalize some of the requirements I can finish that project and get back to primarily product work.

I had Wednesday off because of German Labor day, and was sick yesterday so took it off too, went to work today and everything seems fine. On Wednesday we took the kids to see a movie, and had a stop at 5 Guys. We're slowing getting to the point we'll actually have to buy more than one order of fries yikes At least my two skinny kids eat well there so hopefully they'll gain some weight.

Update
Did a little painting today

https://i.imgur.com/qKMeVMj.jpg
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:17:00 pm by Jason Reed » Logged

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #239 on: May 07, 2019, 04:25:18 pm »

Finally got to listen to your clip. I have to admit I had a hard time understanding what the singer was saying, but maybe that's the point, the words should just be background to the music Grin
I have mixed opinions. I do like music in other languages as it makes the vocal track just another instrument, but at the same time, sometimes the content/message is important.

Well since Easter we've been all really busy. Thankfully work has been pretty productive as well. Now if only our client will finalize some of the requirements I can finish that project and get back to primarily product work.
Ugh, had a "3 day weekend" for Easter...
I was going to use it to catch up on these two freelance gigs who's deadlines were both long ago... however... while I'm at band practice Thursday night, I start getting email alerts from my servers... so I go home after, instead of going out as planned, and I see the web server has crashed (I suspect a piece of software i didn't write has a memory leak and I should reboot the servers more often than I do) so I reboot them and go to bed...
I wake up Friday to all sorts of emails from alerts, co-workers, and clients... apparently the server crash caused a lot of data corruption that was causing the software to lag out, and crash again... and in turn, that caused interface queues to get full, and when I get things running again, well... So finally after 12 hours I have the data all cleaned up and am slowly turning on systems one by one.
Spent the following week adding fail-safes to the code that should prevent the corruption in the future.

I had Wednesday off because of German Labor day, and was sick yesterday so took it off too, went to work today and everything seems fine.
Glad to hear you're feeling better!

On Wednesday we took the kids to see a movie,
Anything good?

and had a stop at 5 Guys. We're slowing getting to the point we'll actually have to buy more than one order of fries yikes At least my two skinny kids eat well there so hopefully they'll gain some weight.
lol. I went there once years (damn, i think it's been over a decade) ago when they first came to town. I think I recall the fries being pretty good.

Update
Did a little painting today

https://i.imgur.com/qKMeVMj.jpg
That's awesome! :clap:

Played a pretty terrible show on the 20th Another Tounge for some reason the stage was very dark so I was hitting wrong notes all over the place... I've now put glow-in-the-dark stickers where i can see them (I have to remember to "charge" them before playing lol )... then, the headlining band [who is originally from the 80s (and a favorite of mine) but only has 1 original member]'s singer got silly drunk... like, he showed up drunk & shoeless... I actually know him a bit (he's from a city a few hours away) and while he was on stage (he pulled off 3 or 4 songs before staggering off stage) he got tangled up in the mic cord and stand. While I was getting him untangled, the damn stand hit me in the face, right on the outside corner of my eyebrow... and split open lol... the worst part was having to explain what happened multiple times, while in a suit, on Easter Sunday...

..... .....

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
Print

Jump to: