November 19, 2018, 01:42:31 am
News: IF YOU ARE A MEMBER FROM THE ORIGINAL SITE AND CAN'T LOGIN. POST IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM (AS GUEST) AND AN ADMIN WILL ASSIST YOU TO ACCESS THE SITE!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 20645 times)
Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #195 on: September 26, 2018, 06:11:45 pm »

Well the project I've been working on for my wife is going to get a new frontend. I decided that JavaFX is too much of a pain to maintain. Instead I'm going to write the frontend in HTML5 and have it work like a mini-webserver. That should make things look a little nicer anyway. Grin

-- signature --

Bonker Gudd
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2018, 12:04:03 am »

I'm going to write the frontend.
deal

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2018, 02:35:51 pm »

Instead I'm going to write the frontend in HTML5 and have it work like a mini-webserver. That should make things look a little nicer anyway. Grin
That sounds fun!

deal
:rtfm:

Nothing new here. Kind of struggling with one of the songs from the band I'm filling in for. It's a very repetitive and fairly complex bassline (that is very prominent unfortunately) and my hand cramps up (for lack of a better description). I think I'm "squeezing" my bass' neck too hard, but I can't stop...

I have practice with both bands tomorrow :rock2: Next weekend I'll be going up to Austin, catching a show and staying at a hotel, then practicing with the full band (for the first time).

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2018, 06:16:19 am »

Hey Simmo:

Saw this thought of you

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2018, 04:15:20 pm »

Hey Simmo:

Saw this thought of you
It's funny cos it's true! (and goes the same for guitarists... poor things)

Nothing new here. Kind of struggling with one of the songs from the band I'm filling in for. It's a very repetitive and fairly complex bassline (that is very prominent unfortunately) and my hand cramps up (for lack of a better description). I think I'm "squeezing" my bass' neck too hard, but I can't stop...
I think this is getting better... at least it went well at practice (I really need to be practicing at home more too though).

I have practice with both bands tomorrow :rock2: Next weekend I'll be going up to Austin, catching a show and staying at a hotel, then practicing with the full band (for the first time).
Was a pretty fun weekend, practice went well, and the "real" members were happy with how it went. I have two shows with my band this weekend... I'm excited for the Friday show, but the Saturday show... is a clusterduck... We were asked to play because a band dropped out, so we agreed. Then it took forever for our name to get added to the "event page" as well as the flier. Then we find out there is at least another band who is on the gig that isn't on the event page. I'm not even sure how many bands are playing but I think it's 5, which would put us as playing pretty early. Making it a learning experience, I've set two rules for the band: 1) we don't work with that guy again 2) we don't play shows with more than 4 bands (3 preferred) unless it's supposed to be a "fest."

and I'm still struggling to do enough on two projects at once to keep both clients happy doh

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2018, 05:12:05 pm »

Holy crapola, you're busy Grin

I'm struggling with some issues with my project at work. It seems that when I tell the service to stop so I can replace it, some of the threads don't want to stop, but say they are stopped, and it ends up crashing the entire application server yay

Thinking of doing an architectual refactoring, and salvage the stuff that works. dunno Boss won't like the sound of it, and he's really wanting to show something to the customers. Other projects are coming along though.

We finally broke down and got a new television set. It's an LED flat screen naturally. The good news is that I can hear actual dialog and not just music. Apparently our previous television (Last of the old tubes), that said it was "HD Ready" meaning it had an HDMI connector on the back, didn't really handle the audio from an HDMI correctly, and so we could hear the music really loud DVD/BluRays we would watch, but the dialog sounded muffled or in the background. This new tv fixes that problem, and it's a 4K screen, so looks good and sharp. It's even gotten me interested in watching videos again.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:14:45 pm by Jason Reed » Logged

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #201 on: October 22, 2018, 08:16:14 pm »

Holy crapola, you're busy Grin
Whew, made it through the weekend. Both shows were great! This weekend I'm in Austin for the band I'm just filling in for. Going to wear my Han Solo costume. laugh1

I'm struggling with some issues with my project at work. It seems that when I tell the service to stop so I can replace it, some of the threads don't want to stop, but say they are stopped, and it ends up crashing the entire application server yay
Ugh yeah, I have a weird issue where I'm transmitting a lot of data in bursts of xml. I mark the database table when it is started and again when it is ended, but what's going on in the meantime feels like a mystery sofa (I mean, I obviously know what the code should be doing, but I feel like I'm in the dark when it's left the "to process" queue but not reached the "completed" queue.

We finally broke down and got a new television set. It's an LED flat screen naturally. The good news is that I can hear actual dialog and not just music. Apparently our previous television (Last of the old tubes), that said it was "HD Ready" meaning it had an HDMI connector on the back, didn't really handle the audio from an HDMI correctly, and so we could hear the music really loud DVD/BluRays we would watch, but the dialog sounded muffled or in the background. This new tv fixes that problem, and it's a 4K screen, so looks good and sharp. It's even gotten me interested in watching videos again.
wow, a tube with hdmi, I've never heard of that! Congrats on teh new TV. Sometimes i feel ill thinking of how much I paid for mine in 2008, but after watching a "newer" tv at someones house, then coming back to mine, I can see that it was worth it.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2018, 05:46:17 pm »

Whew, made it through the weekend. Both shows were great! This weekend I'm in Austin for the band I'm just filling in for. Going to wear my Han Solo costume. laugh1

You'll need to send pictures Grin

Ugh yeah, I have a weird issue where I'm transmitting a lot of data in bursts of xml. I mark the database table when it is started and again when it is ended, but what's going on in the meantime feels like a mystery sofa (I mean, I obviously know what the code should be doing, but I feel like I'm in the dark when it's left the "to process" queue but not reached the "completed" queue.

Tracking that kind of stuff really only works with logging I find. Then you can identify what's going on during the process.

Mine will be easier to fix once I've made the boss happy with the marketing side of things Roll Eyes He apparently has an idea how the charts should look, but I can't seem to generate the data to match what's in his head. So I focus on that instead of what needs fixing crash . It's a good thing I'm taking next week off, I'm starting to go slightly crazy with this project.

wow, a tube with hdmi, I've never heard of that! Congrats on teh new TV. Sometimes i feel ill thinking of how much I paid for mine in 2008, but after watching a "newer" tv at someones house, then coming back to mine, I can see that it was worth it.

Back when we bought the old TV, plasma flatscreens were really popular, but they were also expensive and used too much energy, compared to a tube. What was funny was that the tv we had bought was actually advertised as HD ready, but at that point I had no idea what it meant to have HD. Our new TV was less that 700 Euros but it's not all that big either (bigger than the tube tv) compared to other flat screens. It fits perfectly in the space in our living room though.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #203 on: October 26, 2018, 05:36:23 pm »

You'll need to send pictures Grin
I'm hoping someone takes some as well as video. I'm disappointed in the lack of both from either show last weekend.

Tracking that kind of stuff really only works with logging I find. Then you can identify what's going on during the process.
Yeah, it's just a LOT of data (and growing). Since part of it is compiled code (which I haven't really dealt with since the early 2000s after moving to web dev) I can't really turn it on & off easily. (Not only compiled, but running every 2 min via task scheduler).

Mine will be easier to fix once I've made the boss happy with the marketing side of things Roll Eyes He apparently has an idea how the charts should look, but I can't seem to generate the data to match what's in his head. So I focus on that instead of what needs fixing crash .
I hate that!

It's a good thing I'm taking next week off, I'm starting to go slightly crazy with this project.
You just got back!

Back when we bought the old TV, plasma flatscreens were really popular, but they were also expensive and used too much energy, compared to a tube. What was funny was that the tv we had bought was actually advertised as HD ready, but at that point I had no idea what it meant to have HD.
I think I had one similar, around 2004, was also billed as "flat" even though it was a tube.

Our new TV was less that 700 Euros but it's not all that big either (bigger than the tube tv) compared to other flat screens. It fits perfectly in the space in our living room though.
Always important to know your viewing distance. My sister has a HUGE tv and a small livingroom... I get tennis neck trying to watch anything Another Tounge

Well, I had a good run, haven't been sick since Feb... Got it Tues I think, sucks that it's before a show I've been preparing two month for... at least it's pretty mild. Might be playing tonight (two bands dropped off a show so we got asked), waiting for the singer to wake up because he's the last one to say yea or nay (and it has to be unanimous). Driving to Austin in the morning, rehearsal at 3pm and show at night thumb_yello

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #204 on: October 28, 2018, 03:47:08 pm »

I'm hoping someone takes some as well as video. I'm disappointed in the lack of both from either show last weekend.

Especially since it's much easier now with the way phones are.

Yeah, it's just a LOT of data (and growing). Since part of it is compiled code (which I haven't really dealt with since the early 2000s after moving to web dev) I can't really turn it on & off easily. (Not only compiled, but running every 2 min via task scheduler).
:eww: Yeah that sounds like it wouldn't be fun to fix.

I hate that!
Yeah I finally got the demo data working the way he wanted, and I was able to get the major bug fixed. Apparently if you use a default thread factory, it builds the threads wrong Another Tounge. In java if you don't specifically tell the thread that it is a service thread, then it will think it is a user thread, and will keep the runtime environment from ending, until it ends, but if it never ends ...

So I implemented my own thread factory and passed it to the offending service and now when the service ends, the runtime is allowed to quit.

You just got back!
Nah, last real vacation I had was in Spring Another Tounge The problem is that I still haven't used all my vacation this year, and the year is running out fast. I will have to probably take at least another week before Christmas/New Years.

I think I had one similar, around 2004, was also billed as "flat" even though it was a tube.
Yeah exactly, it was billed as "flat', and for the most part it was flat on the front.

Always important to know your viewing distance. My sister has a HUGE tv and a small livingroom... I get tennis neck trying to watch anything Another Tounge

Oh yeah, I undestand that. Our livingroom isn't really all that big either. I think it's like 4m by 5m or something like that. Needless to say it would be bad to have a tv that takes up the entire wall Grin

Well, I had a good run, haven't been sick since Feb... Got it Tues I think, sucks that it's before a show I've been preparing two month for... at least it's pretty mild. Might be playing tonight (two bands dropped off a show so we got asked), waiting for the singer to wake up because he's the last one to say yea or nay (and it has to be unanimous). Driving to Austin in the morning, rehearsal at 3pm and show at night thumb_yello

Well let's hope it stays mild. I had a cold that hit me a couple of weeks ago, thankfully it went away pretty quickly. The weather here is finally changing and so my asthma is acting up more because of the cold air. I have this week off, while the kids are home too, and then I'll go back to work next week. We have a pretty busy week regardless. Tomorrow marks our 18th year as a couple, and so we're celebrating a little. Then on Tuesday we are going to Ikea to pick up some things we need, including a hotdog pack :yum: Wednesday we'll have Chili-dogs and chili-cheese-fries :yum: :yum:. During all this we'll be making our children practice their math because they need to do better Sad

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to buy City Skylines game. It's currently on sale on Steam for like 7 bucks which is pretty low. I have until Nov 1st to decide.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2018, 06:54:56 pm »

Especially since it's much easier now with the way phones are.
Oh man, don't get me started!!!

"Back in my day" we used to photo copy handmade fliers and go to every venue putting them under windshield wipers and if we were cool with the venue owner/manager they'd let us in w/o charging us so we could hand them out. Now I'll see things posted for shows AFTER the fact and be like "wtf, was the show a secret? I totally would have gone if I knew about it..."

Anyway, here's what has surfaced so far. I KNOW there were more people taking pictures but don't know how to find them.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpd2lAoFmq7

Speaking of people taking pictures at shows, the guy who took the video of our first show was hit by a car while riding his bike Friday night and passed away shortly after being helicoptered to the hospital :'( I didn't know him well, but he was a big supporter of the scene and an all around great guy.

Nah, last real vacation I had was in Spring Another Tounge The problem is that I still haven't used all my vacation this year, and the year is running out fast. I will have to probably take at least another week before Christmas/New Years.
I have taken (well as of this coming Friday that I'm taking off) exactly 7 days this calendar year so far. I'm not sure how many I get (years 1-3 is 5 days, I'm in my 4th year (since from 2012-2015 I was contract)) but at the same time, we don't really track it (as long as someone isn't taking off an unusual amount).

Well let's hope it stays mild. I had a cold that hit me a couple of weeks ago, thankfully it went away pretty quickly. The weather here is finally changing and so my asthma is acting up more because of the cold air.
Thanks, I woke up Saturday (day of show) feeling totally fine Grin Gal that gave it to me is still dealing with it.

I have this week off, while the kids are home too, and then I'll go back to work next week. We have a pretty busy week regardless. Tomorrow marks our 18th year as a couple, and so we're celebrating a little.
Congrats! :clap:

Then on Tuesday we are going to Ikea to pick up some things we need, including a hotdog pack :yum: Wednesday we'll have Chili-dogs and chili-cheese-fries :yum: :yum:.
laugh1

During all this we'll be making our children practice their math because they need to do better Sad
Who needs math when you have a computer!?

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to buy City Skylines game. It's currently on sale on Steam for like 7 bucks which is pretty low. I have until Nov 1st to decide.
heh I received an email this morning about the sale... I haven't touched a game (with the exception of when I was sick earlier this year) since I moved back ion 2015, but I'm still tempted... I have 500+ games in my library already...

Next show is this Thursday (and I'm taking Friday off) :rock:

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #206 on: November 01, 2018, 08:47:26 pm »

Oh man, don't get me started!!!

"Back in my day" we used to photo copy handmade fliers and go to every venue putting them under windshield wipers and if we were cool with the venue owner/manager they'd let us in w/o charging us so we could hand them out. Now I'll see things posted for shows AFTER the fact and be like "wtf, was the show a secret? I totally would have gone if I knew about it..."

Anyway, here's what has surfaced so far. I KNOW there were more people taking pictures but don't know how to find them.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpd2lAoFmq7

Speaking of people taking pictures at shows, the guy who took the video of our first show was hit by a car while riding his bike Friday night and passed away shortly after being helicoptered to the hospital :'( I didn't know him well, but he was a big supporter of the scene and an all around great guy.

Sorry to hear about the loss, even if you didn't know the guy well, it still sad.

The video I wasn't sure when I was going to see you, the angle had you hidden behind the singer Grin Although the two stills were epic.

I have taken (well as of this coming Friday that I'm taking off) exactly 7 days this calendar year so far. I'm not sure how many I get (years 1-3 is 5 days, I'm in my 4th year (since from 2012-2015 I was contract)) but at the same time, we don't really track it (as long as someone isn't taking off an unusual amount).
I get 30 days a year (not counting holidays etc.), and I've finally used more than half. It's pretty regulated here. The law states that the employer must have enough liquidity to pay off unused vacation time at the end of the year. So the boss likes it when we actually use our vacation in the time allotted. We don't lose vacation (once again laws prevent that), but we should use it.

Thanks, I woke up Saturday (day of show) feeling totally fine Grin Gal that gave it to me is still dealing with it.

Is this the same gal with the deli?

Congrats! :clap:
Thanks Grin, we're pretty happy about it too. Ended up going out for waffles at our local ice cream shop with out the kids Wink

Who needs math when you have a computer!?

According to the German school system, our children Another Tounge. Although they can't use the old comment our teachers used "You won't always have a calculator in your pocket!"

heh I received an email this morning about the sale... I haven't touched a game (with the exception of when I was sick earlier this year) since I moved back ion 2015, but I'm still tempted... I have 500+ games in my library already...
Yeah decided against it, although I'd like to play it I have enough to play at the moment. My wife got me a mini-Atari 2600 which has like 120 of the old games. My god I forgot how fun those games were. My kids were all shocked that the graphics looked nothing like the pictures that were on the covers. Got my kids to play Combat with me, and I wiped the board with them, until it came to the planes. They were pretty good with those Another Tounge

Next show is this Thursday (and I'm taking Friday off) :rock:

Break a leg! Enjoy the rest on Friday Grin

-- signature --

Bonker Gudd
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2018, 12:52:20 am »

I need keda  dunno

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #208 on: November 07, 2018, 05:28:21 pm »

Sorry to hear about the loss, even if you didn't know the guy well, it still sad.
His funeral is Friday and I feel compelled to go but not sure... would have to take time off work and I've done quite a bit of that lately (more on that below).

The video I wasn't sure when I was going to see you, the angle had you hidden behind the singer Grin Although the two stills were epic.
The sound quality (at least the bass) sounds bad to me too (and I don't care for that song much). I was using the venue's speakers and the guitarist's amp (his decision, I was happy to not have to load anything but my bass though Another Tounge ) which I liked the sound of at first, but it sounded "muffled" the last practice & show to me (can happen when strings are old/dirty too so hopefully not on my end but I think everything sounds well through my rig). (and again, with everyone having more technology than we used to get to the moon in their pocket, only one video, of one song?!?)

I get 30 days a year (not counting holidays etc.), and I've finally used more than half. It's pretty regulated here. The law states that the employer must have enough liquidity to pay off unused vacation time at the end of the year. So the boss likes it when we actually use our vacation in the time allotted. We don't lose vacation (once again laws prevent that), but we should use it.
Hare to get my head around Another Tounge

Is this the same gal with the deli?
Yup. And... I thought I was sick, and better, week before last? Nope, I didn't know what sick was... Weds morning I woke feeling off, thought maybe I was just tired. Went to work, had some coffee... after lunch I went to bed and didn't get up till the show I had to play Thursday night. I really wanted to see the headlining band, and made it till the first song but couldn't take anymore after that. Went home (even left some of my gear at the venue cos I couldn't deal with it, I have recovered it now) and went straight to bed... didn't get out (for more than a few minutes) till the following Sunday :sick: All better now though :clap:

According to the German school system, our children Another Tounge. Although they can't use the old comment our teachers used "You won't always have a calculator in your pocket!"
But why!? I guess I wish I was better at it, but I can easily whip out a spread sheet and type up some formulas (even Bing'ing for the formula if needed).

Yeah decided against it, although I'd like to play it I have enough to play at the moment. My wife got me a mini-Atari 2600 which has like 120 of the old games. My god I forgot how fun those games were. My kids were all shocked that the graphics looked nothing like the pictures that were on the covers. Got my kids to play Combat with me, and I wiped the board with them, until it came to the planes. They were pretty good with those Another Tounge
That's pretty coincidental! I recently bought an original Atari 2600!

Break a leg! Enjoy the rest on Friday Grin
Thanks! here's vid/pics:

https://www.facebook.com/matthew.hartman.5492/videos/10210700301344305/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpsGq3eg0xe/
https://imgur.com/a/propNjR

(I should build a band page to organize this stuff)

Next show this Saturday. With two other local bands and one from Dallas (I think). I'm not sure how the turn out will be since it's a lesser known venue but I'm really hoping it does well financially so I can reinvest in some more band merch (beer koozies). We're also working on a few other avenues of merch (hats & buttons) that I hope to have by the following show which isn't till mid Dec

I need keda  dunno
I don't know what it is, but I hope you acquire it! yay

[EDIT]
How do you keep track of your code? As in how functions interact. With the combination of semi-clean code and asynchronous ajax calls, my code is starting to feel like the GOTO days (yes, I'm old enough to have written in BASIC sofa ). Flowcharting takes a long time and sometimes turns out as messy as the bowl of spaghetti I'm trying to detangle...)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:19:43 pm by simmo » Logged

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #209 on: November 15, 2018, 05:50:02 pm »

His funeral is Friday and I feel compelled to go but not sure... would have to take time off work and I've done quite a bit of that lately (more on that below).
Not sure what I would have done if I didn't know him real well.

The sound quality (at least the bass) sounds bad to me too (and I don't care for that song much). I was using the venue's speakers and the guitarist's amp (his decision, I was happy to not have to load anything but my bass though Another Tounge ) which I liked the sound of at first, but it sounded "muffled" the last practice & show to me (can happen when strings are old/dirty too so hopefully not on my end but I think everything sounds well through my rig). (and again, with everyone having more technology than we used to get to the moon in their pocket, only one video, of one song?!?)

Nothing better than using your own right Grin

Hare to get my head around Another Tounge

Took me quite a while too.

Yup. And... I thought I was sick, and better, week before last? Nope, I didn't know what sick was... Weds morning I woke feeling off, thought maybe I was just tired. Went to work, had some coffee... after lunch I went to bed and didn't get up till the show I had to play Thursday night. I really wanted to see the headlining band, and made it till the first song but couldn't take anymore after that. Went home (even left some of my gear at the venue cos I couldn't deal with it, I have recovered it now) and went straight to bed... didn't get out (for more than a few minutes) till the following Sunday :sick: All better now though :clap:

I was wondering because I hadn't seen you mention her much recently. Grin

But why!? I guess I wish I was better at it, but I can easily whip out a spread sheet and type up some formulas (even Bing'ing for the formula if needed).
dunno my kids would agree with you Wink

That's pretty coincidental! I recently bought an original Atari 2600!

My wife's purchase was a spur of the moment kind of thing, because one of our local shops was selling it online. An original has the problem that you'd have to get the cartridges and have place to store them Grin

That wouldn't be a bad idea.

Next show this Saturday. With two other local bands and one from Dallas (I think). I'm not sure how the turn out will be since it's a lesser known venue but I'm really hoping it does well financially so I can reinvest in some more band merch (beer koozies). We're also working on a few other avenues of merch (hats & buttons) that I hope to have by the following show which isn't till mid Dec

So you'll get some time off from shows.

I need keda  dunno
hiya Bonker

[EDIT]
How do you keep track of your code? As in how functions interact. With the combination of semi-clean code and asynchronous ajax calls, my code is starting to feel like the GOTO days (yes, I'm old enough to have written in BASIC sofa ). Flowcharting takes a long time and sometimes turns out as messy as the bowl of spaghetti I'm trying to detangle...)

You mean outside the code itself? Usually I have UML diagrams so I know how the classes relate. Working in Java it is hard to have spaghetti code since everything is in classes. Usually my problem is more keeping track of threading when I have multiple threads running.

-- signature --

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: