December 17, 2018, 02:23:31 pm
News: If someone gives you crap then give them a Bad Star
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Anyone have experiance with tape backups?  (Read 1848 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« on: November 22, 2005, 05:01:52 pm »

Anyone have experiance with tape backups? We're having a [possible] backup restructuring (the higherups found out that we are currently paying alot of money for an ofsite backup system) and want to know peoples opinion on tape... we currently have about 512gb that gets backed up (not sure if that is nightly or incrementaly during the day or what).

..... .....

Martin Wallace
Founders

Stars: +1/-0

God is dead, I have surpassed him.

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 05:45:46 pm »

I used to manage a tape backup regime.  What do you need to know?

My opinion?  they are a pain in the behind - I had to stay after hours to monitor the backup (which happened at close of business) and take the tapes home with me.

This was a long time ago though and I suspect the advent of automatic tape transport systems and data throughput has improved things somewhat.

On a side note:  I used to know a guy who worked for one of these "offsite backup" providers.  The customers data was pushed to the backup providers servers where it was stored on large arrays of hard drives.  One day they had a disaster and the arrays failed - wiping everybodies backups - and guess what - the company had no backup procedures in place.  Every customers data was permenantly lost - they only survived because nobody needed a restore before the data was repopulated from the scheduled customer backups.

Every time god kills an angel, I masturbate.

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 09:20:41 pm »

I used to manage a tape backup regime.  What do you need to know?
[snapback]144115[/snapback]
Good to know thumb_yello What is your opinion of how it ranks to its alternates?

On a side note:  I used to know a guy who worked for one of these "offsite backup" providers.  The customers data was pushed to the backup providers servers where it was stored on large arrays of hard drives.  One day they had a disaster and the arrays failed - wiping everybodies backups - and guess what - the company had no backup procedures in place.  Every customers data was permenantly lost - they only survived because nobody needed a restore before the data was repopulated from the scheduled customer backups.
[snapback]144115[/snapback]
Yeah, I worry about that too... My idea (still in theroy) is a system that makes backups to a local machine and then ftp's (or something) to an offsite server. That is how i handled backups at the last place I was but that was 6 desktops and a file server... this is alot bigger (and more people wanting blood if there is a failure)

..... .....

Martin Wallace
Founders

Stars: +1/-0

God is dead, I have surpassed him.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 09:41:42 am »

To be honest I quite like the idea of the Backup provider.  I know they can be expensive (I used to pay about 80/quarter/machine) but the thought that it happens automatically and that it is stored safely offsite is a great.

I personally would never return to tapes.  Just make sure you get a good reliable provider.

Every time god kills an angel, I masturbate.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: