November 15, 2019, 11:26:47 pm
News: If someone gives you crap then give them a Bad Star
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: The obligatory movie thread - what have you watched, cinema, DVD, BR, download  (Read 7663 times)
Jethro
Founders

Stars: +0/-0

« on: March 04, 2012, 10:03:39 pm »

This Means War - a rom-com for the blokes about two CIA agents who fall for the same girl. While the Critics weren't exactly impressed I was rocking on to the action and laugh out loud dialogue.

Pallet On The Floor - Kiwi period murder movie that was unfortunately pretty badly made.

Cthulhu - Aussie one, not to be confused with the U.S movie of the same name, quite possibly the worse movie I've seen thus far this year. Mixes a bunch of H.P Lovecraft storylines into a complete mess.

[size=] - Movie Reviews, Discussion, and in due course articles and stuff and that [/size]

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:03:19 am »

Started introducing my children to Star Wars. We did Episodes IV to VI and it went over well. The boys loved it. I'm such a proud geek dad!

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:22:33 pm »

Started introducing my children to Star Wars. We did Episodes IV to VI and it went over well. The boys loved it. I'm such a proud geek dad!
And I'm glad to hear you started with those instead of the others!

..... .....

Sue
Old Timer

Stars: +2/-0

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:53:11 am »

Well done JR! thumb_yello

Sailing across the sea from Lothlorien....

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:13:40 am »

In Time - With Amanda Syfred and Justin Timberlake.  It was good.  Its nice to have fresh ideas in movie land.

Logans Run
- Classic.  Michael York

Darby O'Gill and the Little People - 1959 Disney film about leprechauns with a young Sean Connery.

Jane Eyre - 1996, 1977 and 2011

High Spirits - 1988 with Peter O'Tool, Steve Guttenburg, Beverly D'Angelo.  Love it! lol

Breakfast at Tiffanys
-  Audrey Hepburn.  A must see classic.

The Help - 2011. Very moving film.

The Kings Speech
- Impressive.  Colin Firth is  never dissapointing.

The Magical legend of Leprechauns - Randy Quade.  Family classic in my house. lol

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
- Don Knotts.  Had to see this movie again. smile

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 12:08:12 pm »

We bought the King's Speech recently and watched it. I really liked it was really well done. Still laugh during the cursing scene ... I'm such juvenile when it comes to scenes like that.

-- signature --

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:27:45 pm »

Yeah...he really looked like he was authentically struggling to swear in public there. lol

Geophrey Rush is one of my favorite actors.  The man has the ability to show so many emotions in his eyes and by his facial expressions.  A trait lost in most modern actors who only seek fame and recognition for their beauty status instead.  Pity the fans of the Twilight series for example, are blind to this caleber of an actor.

Al Pachino's 'Shylo' in The Merchant of Venice is another star in my opinion.  One can not tell its actually the same actor who plays the famous crime lord in Scarface.  A stunning performance.

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 05:16:57 am »

I always loved Al Pachino in the Godfather series. He's one of those actors that if the director told him to play a schnitzel he could play a schnitzel.

-- signature --

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 11:51:21 pm »

True.  I've read about his past life and career.  A dedicated actor indeed. Not many today are as good as he is.   I am really impressed by Meryle Streep though.  Cate Blanchette is remarkable as well.  As is Gary Oldman, Anthony Hopkins and Fiona Shaw.  I think there are better British actors than American when it comes to being authentic actors generally speaking.

The Godfather was a very good film. smile

Jethro
Founders

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 12:47:06 am »

John Carter - could have been trimmed by half an hour, pretty meh end of day.

The Field of Blood (Scotland) - Excellent murder mystery, originally a BBC 2 parter we got it released as a movie.

[size=] - Movie Reviews, Discussion, and in due course articles and stuff and that [/size]

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 08:39:43 am »

I want to see John Carter.  Not running towards it mind you.  I want to see the graphics mostly. smile

I've been watching a few past films over and over again.  I might watch The Count of Monte Cristo over again today.

I tried to watch The Sitter.  Lost interest immediately so I gave up on it.

Martin Wallace
Founders

Stars: +1/-0

God is dead, I have surpassed him.

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 09:18:59 pm »

And I'm glad to hear you started with those instead of the others!

I hear people recommending IV, V, VI, I, II, III.  Others recommending I, II, III, IV, V, VI.

They're both wrong.  Every true Star Wars geek knows the correct, and only order is IV, V, VI, I, II, III, IV, V, VI.  Preferably in a single sitting!

Every time god kills an angel, I masturbate.

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 01:46:37 pm »

I heard IV V, then I II III, and finally VI is a good pattern, makes the story more about Vader/Anikin. I truly think that watching IV V VI, then waiting 30 years and watching I II III is the only way to get past some of the continuity issues  laugh1

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 05:35:57 pm »

I heard IV V, then I II III, and finally VI is a good pattern, makes the story more about Vader/Anikin. I truly think that watching IV V VI, then waiting 30 years and watching I II III is the only way to get past some of the continuity issues  laugh1

The wife was a little worried about how dark some of the other parts of the story are, and since our boys are still pretty young. Any way we've been all through IV V and VI and they've seen I. Not sure when they'll get to see II and III yet.

Now there's a VII coming which I have no idea what it will be like.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 07:28:42 pm »

Now there's a VII coming which I have no idea what it will be like.
I keep thinking "song of the south" with light sabers.  laugh1 I'd really like for them to just follow the books that came out in the mid-90s but I keep hearing it will be an "original story" whatever that means.

..... .....

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: