November 22, 2019, 02:54:30 am
News: If someone gives you assistance give them a Good Star
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Monetizing a "blog," how do I go about this?  (Read 6870 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« on: November 14, 2011, 02:32:24 pm »

(I wasn't sure of a better section to post this so if there is one let me know Another Tounge)

I follow a lot of rss feeds, I then send the good ones to different friends, or to twitter, or to g+, or here.  I realized that some of these things I'm posting, is from someone else doing the same thing... So I figure, if they are doing it, why aren't I? I'm sure my rss reader had evolved over the past decade (since the beginning of rss I do believe) to probably be better than anyone else's, so it would be a best of the best type of thing.

SO here is my question:

As a webdev, my tendency is to "roll my own" but I am thinking that might not be the best choice. Does anyone have experience with blogging software? I'm guessing google adsense is probably hte best way to monetize it as well but anyone have better ideas?

And the big question, is it ethical to try to make a $ on re-posting others material (of course links would be given to the source)?  mf_Dr_Evil

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:12:55 pm »

As for the ethical question if you are just copying what they are saying then forget about it. However, if you are taking what they said, summarizing it, adding your own thoughts on the matter and furthering the discussion then you might have a possibility.

I personally use WordPress as it is pretty common and have a few decent templates to use. AdSense plugins for WordPress already exist so you don't have to try to figure everything else yourself.

Not that WordPress is without flaw, mind you. It is just simple to use and setup so that's the reason I use it at this time.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 07:52:42 pm »

lol I almost said "except word press" but I think my hatred really comes from a nightmare client I had almost 2yrs ago. They didn't specify their project was in WP, just that they needed a font change. So I had to figure out WP very quickly. What made it a bad experience is that any question I had to the client was answered with "you're the coder, figure it out" (that is a direct quote). To top it all off, the font change never did show up for the client. I think it was a nonstandard (and not free) font that I happened to have but he didn't, even though it was the font he wanted... so after many go rounds of "if you are not seeing it, you don't have the font installed on your end" he was very rude and unhappy. Was my only bad review on rentacoder  crash

As far as copying word for word versus summarizing, I was mor thinking something like my twit this morning:

8 Reasons Freelancers Should Charge More Than Employees
http://bit.ly/w5k8Qf
Now I need someone to tell this to my clients present/future smile

Of course not being limited to 140 chars I would probably type more. As I think of it, the ethics should be ok because I wouldn't be saying so much that the viewer wouldn't visit the original. What I mean is, I would be doing the original a favor, by advertising for them in a sense. maybe?

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:54:14 am »

The thing is to "monetize" a blog you have to have a blog with something people want to read. The occasional "Look at this guy's blog" is ok but you really need to put the time to write good articles as well. Otherwise no one will want to read it.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:49:11 pm »

Well, I got my "idea" from a guy that calls himself a curator of the web. I have been following him for a while so it works on at least one person.  laugh1

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 01:36:06 pm »

What's his link?

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 04:37:58 pm »

http://nedhardy.com/

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 06:28:12 pm »

Honestly, I have no idea what that site is about other than reblogging strange stuff. It's like he is his own Tumblr.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 08:27:55 pm »

Exactly, basically just sharing things he thinks is the creme de la creme of the internet. But since he has ads on the site, I'm guessing he makes a few cents. As i mentioned, I already do this somewhat as I post things to different places (email, chat, twitter) when I think they are good, so why not make a centralized place and see if it can buy me a cup of coffee now and then  laugh1

Maybe blog was the wrong word to use in the thread, but I think blog software would be the best route?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:29:37 pm by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 02:06:03 pm »

In that case get a copy of WordPress and load it up, doesn't take long to install and you'll be posting silly stuff before you know it.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 03:30:44 am »

Just need a name, I was thinking "RepostingStuffThatIThinkIsCoolAndTryingToMakeABuckWhileIDo.com" but that seems a bit long

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 09:04:23 am »

RSTITICATTMABWID.com dunno

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 12:41:03 pm »

laugh1

That totally made me think of rabdargab which I didn't realize was confined to the Houston area. I went ahead and grabbed the .com anyway  construction
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 12:46:55 pm by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 01:55:23 pm »

What are your thoughts on google's "blogger" software?

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 02:47:28 pm »

It's not software, it's a hosted blog service. It's ok but I don't know what the ads requirements (other than you most likely will be forced to use AdWords) are.

-- signature --

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: