December 14, 2019, 09:36:21 pm
News: If your question is answered please put [RESOLVED] in the subject of the initial message.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Looking for some software to help me collect my notes  (Read 4585 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« on: July 12, 2011, 02:32:26 pm »

I'm not sure what I am looking for really, could even be that I just need to post items here  mf_Dr_Evil, so here is a real world example of the issue I am trying to solve:

1) A client site is having an issue (namely posting video but the text editor they use is stripping out html)
2) I *know* I have done this before, and that it took about an hour or more of reading a dozen google results where otehrs had the same issue, some worked some didnt
3) I have to remember what client i did this for in the past, then scroll back in my emails hoping that i can find some clues as to what i did  construction

I was thinking maybe i need to take some notes, but that might result in the same uncategorized mess i have now.

any one have similar issues or ideas?

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 08:58:30 am »

I'd say you don't need a specific piece of software but procedure to keep your client information structured. Typically I keep a folder structure on my hard drive for my projects/clients and such things. So basically you have something like:

Code:
Business
     |
     |- Clients
     |      |
     |      |-La La Land Limited
     |      |           |
     |      |           |-Projects
     |      |           |      |
     |      |           |      |- Website Project
     |      |           |      |             |
     |      |           |      |             |-Notes
     |      |           |      |             |-Business Documents

With this structure you can store your information and find it easy and quickly on your drive.

-- signature --

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:59:14 am »

I've actually toyed with the idea of building an application that automatically builds folder structures for this sort of work.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 04:20:45 pm »

With this structure you can store your information and find it easy and quickly on your drive.
as folders & text files?

I already have a folder tree in my wwwroot (since i'm primarily a web dev), but thats a lot of unnecessary files to search through if i keep notes in there.

Loooooooooong ago a member, rickbull, write a pretty nice app to keep software snippits organized, I don't recall if it was searchable though.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 06:20:59 am »

So you are looking for a snippit manager rather than a note manager? Heck you could probably get away with just putting a Wiki on your dev machine to store such stuff.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 01:04:46 pm »

Good idea, I'll have to look into that. I don't have my dev server running all the time so might just put on my local machine or one of my webservers (like gt is on). I wonder if sharepoint would be an idea as well.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 03:23:25 pm »

From my experience Share Point's Wiki blows. I'm using a standard MediaWiki which isn't that hard to setup and run and uses standard Wiki Markup. SharePoint does not use standard Wiki markup unless you buy it from a 3rd party company.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 08:59:32 pm »

lol i should have known it would be php/*nux  mf_Dr_Evil

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 06:18:30 am »

It's not like you can't set IIS to run PHP as well as ASP.

Another option is you can use XAMPP and change apache's port to 8080 instead of 80 then you can run it when you need it.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 04:40:34 pm »

Yeah I thought of that as I was typing it. Some time previous to 2004 I worked for a small company that only had 1 server, so I set I up to do that, using 8080 for php projects. after 2004 I worked for a much larger company where it was 1 server per project, and I think I still have that mindset.

But I do have a *nix server that I only use for chron jobs, maybe I'll pop it on there and it can serve a dual purpose (lol 2 dual purposes, chron & wiki and organizing my notes & teaking me to install on *nix)

Now to find the time, such a catch 22, I'm in need of a few organizational tweaks, I have the solutions, but not the time to implement them because of the need [repeat] [repeat] [repeat]

..... .....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: