November 16, 2019, 12:14:13 am
News: IF YOU ARE A MEMBER FROM THE ORIGINAL SITE AND CAN'T LOGIN. POST IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM (AS GUEST) AND AN ADMIN WILL ASSIST YOU TO ACCESS THE SITE!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How to move to a location you have never been?  (Read 3360 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« on: March 01, 2011, 08:11:22 pm »

I know I read an article on it somewhere, i would guess was lifehacker, but I can't find it.

Basically, as freelance, I can be wherever I have internet connectivity. I think if it wasn't for my cat, I would probably get an RV and just go wherever, change scenery every month or something, but since he needs some running room (and I will not allow him to be outside, i think since we domesticated cats we must care for them) I'll need an apartment or house.

I'm thinking its nearing time for me to change scenery, and I'm thinking Maine. Dunno why, I just am laugh1 A quiet little port town just seems like the place to be yes But I'm not sure the best way to tackle this. Sure I can search "rent maine" but I want to know if anyone has any better ideas smile

(another idea I have is to look into being a "caretaker" but I think Fido would hold me back some there too, never hurts to try though smile )

..... .....

Sue
Old Timer

Stars: +2/-0

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:36:08 pm »

Oh I know....you are moving up North to be closer to me right? laugh1 I am  not far from Maine really.  Why would you be interested in moving North at all?  The climate here is loads different than you are familiar with in Houston.  You will have to likely acclimatize to the colder weather as you know and learn defensive driving in the deeper snowy weather during winter.

Why can't a cat live in an RV?  You could put it on a long non chewable leash and allow it to roam outdoors sometimes too. shifty Like you I like to keep moving so I understand your thoughts.  Why not contact a news paper's classified ad section there, or home buyer's representative and see what they have to offer?  Can't this be done online too?  Do a Google search! lol

You want to be a "caretaker" for what?  dunno

Sailing across the sea from Lothlorien....

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:18:55 am »

Oh I know....you are moving up North to be closer to me right? laugh1 I am  not far from Maine really.  Why would you be interested in moving North at all?  The climate here is loads different than you are familiar with in Houston.  You will have to likely acclimatize to the colder weather as you know and learn defensive driving in the deeper snowy weather during winter.
Since I work freelance, anywhere I have a flat surface and an internet connection can serve as my office so I'm only limited by my budget. The Houston heat is what I want to get out of (its getting too warm here in Va laugh1 ). I don't think driving will be much of a problem as I only need to drive to get groceries Another Tounge

Why can't a cat live in an RV?  You could put it on a long non chewable leash and allow it to roam outdoors sometimes too. shifty
noway! once a cat is outside, even on a leash, they then dart out the door whenever it is opened... i dealt with that once when i lived in galveston and the girlfriend at the time thought would be a good idea to "walk the cat." An rv situation would make that loads worse as the darting out could occur in a busy parking lot.
Other than that, i think it would just be too small, he likes to run around.

Like you I like to keep moving so I understand your thoughts.  Why not contact a news paper's classified ad section there, or home buyer's representative and see what they have to offer?  Can't this be done online too?  Do a Google search! lol
The problem is, I don't really know where in Maine (an am not even 100% sold on Maine I guess) I want to try. But I guess that's the way to go. There are quite a few online apartment search sites. I guess I'm thinking that the "quaint point town" wouldnt be so savvy and I'd miss teh good deals, or maybe I'm making excuses Another Tounge

You want to be a "caretaker" for what?  dunno
Its a terrible example but for some reason its the one that comes to mind when people don't know what I mean but, like in stephen king's the shining, he was a cartaker of that hotel. Basically you live on someones land, maybe do upkeep, maybe jsut keep it occupied so people dont break in. But like I said about being able to work anywhere, that would be good for me as I would be doing two jobs at once laugh1 For that sort of thing there are channels to find jobs though, was jsut putting it out there that its an option I think I should explore.

..... .....

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:54:05 am »

Yes I understood ages ago that you are freelance and can work anywhere.  I definitely relate to that as well.  I do not even like to go out for groceries if I can avoid it. lol.  I think moving North then is a wise idea, mind you the heat will be back at you during our summers; but I think you can handle those if you have AC in your home, geothermal or great ventilation systems of some sort.

I seriously dislike cats so I was just suggesting something you already have experience at I now understand.  Why do you not look for homes or caretaker jobs in the areas you think you might want to be living?  A touristy location perhaps? They need off season home care I think.  One near water so you can be around the ocean too perhaps?  I thought you were wanting to be a care taker of a cemetery, or a nursing position or something.  I understand better now though thank goodness. lol  I did see "The Shining" years ago.  giljotiini fear sweat bicycle *Sue hides her axes* shifty

With all our weather situations all over North America lately...Id try to make a wise choice in climate and disaster risks before I chose where to live.  Its getting pretty unstable out there. hmm  Sure you want to go that far North?   Nasty winter weather believe me.  Lovely on the coast though in summer.  I found this Google sites list for you:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=e63&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=Maine+Harbor+caretaker+jobs&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 03:03:51 am »

Sure you want to go that far North?   Nasty winter weather believe me. 
lol you are really adverse to me moving north, you want all that nice cold weather to yourself hmm

I think what I will try first is give the "caretaker gazette" (i've know about for a year or more and its actually the top link on your list smile ) a go, maybe answer some postings or even post an ad of my own. See where that takes me smile

..... .....

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 03:15:06 am »

No I am definitely NOT adverse to you moving North at all.  I am just reminding you of what you are in store for.  The East coast gets severe winter storms and deep snow.  Far worse than I get here near Montreal this far in.  Just buy a good shovel or two for sure. yes  And a good hooded parka, warm gloves and well insulated winter boots by next Fall. smile 

Good luck with the caretaker link to the Gazette and perhaps you own posting. thumb_yello  Make sure you look for a place that is affordable to heat in winter too. smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: