December 14, 2019, 09:24:26 pm
News: IF YOU ARE A MEMBER FROM THE ORIGINAL SITE AND CAN'T LOGIN. POST IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM (AS GUEST) AND AN ADMIN WILL ASSIST YOU TO ACCESS THE SITE!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Firefox releases security patch  (Read 4126 times)
Sue
Old Timer

Stars: +2/-0

« on: March 27, 2010, 03:37:08 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8580716.stm

Mozilla has released Firefox 3.6.2 almost a week early after security issues were found in earlier versions.

Firefox 3.6.2 was originally due to launch at the end of March, but is available to download now from the Mozilla website.

The security hole had led the German government to issue a warning about Firefox 3.6.

The Federal Office for Information Security made a similar ruling on the safety of Internet Explorer in January.

It warned that the Firefox vulnerability, confirmed by Firefox makers, could allow hackers to run malicious programs on users' computers.

Germany's official cyber-security response team - BurgerCERT - had recommended that users stop using Firefox until the tested fix was released.

It was a move remarkably similar to the January announcement, in which France followed suit just days later.

Fox swap?

The original Firefox vulnerability was confirmed by maker Mozilla last week on its security blog, when it promised that the next official release would address the issue.

It is only the current version that is affected but, given that prior releases have different vulnerabilities, reverting to an older version of the browser is ill-advised.

Switching to a different browser may not be a good solution either, said Graham Cluley, senior technologist at security firm Sophos.

"Switching your web browser willy-nilly as each new unpatched security hole is revealed could cause more problems than it's worth," he said.

"What are you going to do when your replacement browser itself turns out to contain a vulnerability?

"My advice is to only switch from Firefox if you really know what you are doing with the browser you're swapping to. If you stick with Firefox, apply the security update as soon as it's available."

A Mozilla spokesperson said: "Last week we informed our users that the upcoming security release of Firefox 3.6.2 would include a fix for an exploit that was disclosed to us just over a week ago.

"Mozilla is aware of the BergerCERT recommendation to avoid using Firefox 3.6, and encourage users to download... Firefox 3.6.2."

Sailing across the sea from Lothlorien....

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Stars: +3/-0

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 11:56:27 pm »

Thanks Sue, all up-to-date smile

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 12:14:46 am »

Yeah I was a while before I came across this article last week.  When I checked what version I had...it was the latest.   Thank goodness.

Anyone use Windows Live Messenger? dunno  A lot of people are having trouble with it lately.

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:51:34 am »

I just recently updated from 3.5.* to 3.6.2. I had waited until most of my extensions were updated as well. The weird one was my Tab Mix Plus. The auto updater didn't find the newest version which was compatible, even though it was on the mozilla addons site. I had to manually download and install. Then there was no problem.

-- signature --

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 05:03:21 am »

Yeah...they eventually get around to the add on updates...I really like a lot of their add ons.  I also adore the Google Preview, Tab Preview,  Tab Mix Plus, Colourful tabs, Ad Block Plus, and the Noia Theme.

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:37:46 pm »

I don't like that newly opened tabs (if i open link in new tab) starts closest to the active tab, I'm too used to it going to the end of the list Another Tounge

..... .....

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 08:56:38 pm »

Can't you reset it in your Tools and Options menu?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:02:15 pm by Sue » Logged

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 06:12:24 pm »

I think you have an add on, my options doesn't give me a choice:

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 08:43:56 pm »

Use TabMixPlus for better controls of tabs.

-- signature --

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 11:16:10 pm »

I do have a few add-ons yes.  Your version looks either too old or that you have no add-ons...Im not sure.

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 08:01:43 pm »

Its the latest version, I just like to run my machines very minimal Another Tounge and sticking to that, I think I'll just get used to the new way of tab opening  crash

..... .....

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 04:04:07 pm »

Ok smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: