December 14, 2019, 09:22:54 pm
News: If someone gives you assistance give them a Good Star
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Anyone use SpamCop.net or other spam reporting service?  (Read 3099 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« on: January 12, 2010, 05:03:03 pm »

(technically not software but couldn't think of a better place)

I've recently decided to take back my inbox. I was getting a lot of email and realized I was just deleting 99% of it  crash So far I have unsubscribed to a ton of lists that I must have accumulated over the years and that has put a major dent in the inbox flood, but there are quite a few that i didn't sign up for, are obvious spam/viri/phish and provide no way to get unlisted.

So, I have signed up for SpamCop and have been forwarding all of it there.

Has anyone used something like this in the past/present?

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 06:12:07 am »

Nope I use GMail since it has a really awesome spam blocker.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:29:49 pm »

Does gMail do anything more than block it though? I believe (or i have been wasting my time laugh1) that SpamCop actually contacts the admin of any IP's it extracts and reports it, and based on responses, adds them to some blacklist.

I'm not sure how the blacklist works, but about 7 years ago I managed an OPT IN mailing list, and there were a few times I had to jump through hoops to get un-blacklisted because some jerk didn't remember checking a box to get on the list and didn't just use the automated remove function I wrote :boom:

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 02:34:51 pm »

I have no idea how GMail does it I just know that about 99.9% of all junk mail goes to the Spam folder and 99.9% of what I want or expect comes into my inbox. I usually only have to tell GMail once that something is spam and it remembers to look for similar messages and sorts them to my Junk Folder. Even if the message has my address in a BCC.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 04:34:56 pm »

I found a cool add on for Thunderbird that will send all items marked as junk to spamcop.net (as well as the US gov (or AU gov if you live there)).

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2672

..... .....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: