November 15, 2019, 11:58:37 pm
News: GalahTech Community Based Technical Support!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Keeping a budget  (Read 3250 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« on: November 16, 2009, 08:51:41 pm »

Lately I've been following a few financial blogs and it got me thinking about how I keep my "budget," and was curious how members here tracked their net worth's.
Personally I don't think my current system is very intuitive, I use a combination of Microsoft Money (a very old version, maybe I need to update  laugh1 ), Spreadsheets that I have laid out a few different ways for "forecasting", and Mint.com.
About a decade ago I had a physical "workbook" (hard to believe that it was only about 10yrs ago that I did things with pen and paper) that I thought was really good, basically you filled in the blanks each week/month and the idea was to spend less (or earn more) by the next time you filled in the amounts. I haven't really seen anything like it since, maybe I should get to writing some software to do it Another Tounge

So how to y'all keep track?

..... .....

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:26:16 pm »

I don't keep track of income as there is one source and it always goes into the bank account.

However I do keep an eye on my expenses by using an application called Expense Manager that I wrote sometime ago when I was sharing with few friends. Since we all did shopping together, we wanted to make sure that at the end of the month when we all sit down and tell each other who owes whom, how much! This application just made it simpler for us to just enter everyday expenses and tell us who owes whom, how much.

Now that I am not living with friends, I still use it to keep track of my expenses and get a general idea of what I am spending. Other than that I am good with money so don't need to micro plan everything and I have general idea of where I need to spend money so I take care of it.

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:04:44 am »

My wife handles all our financial stuff. Give me access to the money and I buy neat little gadgets that I don't need.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 04:26:17 pm »

Give me access to the money and I buy neat little gadgets that I don't need.
lolyup, I was pretty bad about that for a while (I think i used my $500 VR Glasses a total of 10mins laugh1 )

I'm mainly wanting something that will make it 'highly visible' to see where I need to trim fat.
I'm still carrying quite a bit of debit and want to get out from under it Another Tounge I was doing well on paying it off, but last nov when I got a surprise (and large) property tax bill that i wasnt expecting (it was rolled into my mortgage at my last house) I had to start using my credit card a lot to conserve 'cash' for that with the intent of paying it back off this year, but ofc being laid off threw a wrench in that plan.

[edit]
I think this is pretty much what I'm looking for:

http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/family-budget-planner.html
[/edit]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:16:46 pm by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 01:02:12 am »

Yeah I tend to buy gadgets too but lately I have managed to control myself.

Simmo the app I made is not as fancy, it just records expenese, that's all.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: