November 15, 2019, 10:41:37 pm
News: GalahTech Community Based Technical Support!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Internet addresses set for change  (Read 3762 times)
Sue
Old Timer

Stars: +2/-0

« on: October 31, 2009, 09:50:42 am »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8333194.stm

"The internet regulator has approved plans to allow non-Latin-script web addresses, in a move that is set to transform the online world.

The board of Icann voted at its annual meeting in Seoul to allow domain names in Arabic, Chinese and other scripts.

More than half of the 1.6 billion people who use the internet speak languages with non-Latin scripts.

It is being described as the biggest change to the way the internet works since it was created 40 years ago.

The first Internationalised Domain Names (IDNs) could be in use next year.

Plans for IDNs were first approved at a meeting in June 2008, but testing of the system has been going on for two years.
"

What do you all think about this?

Sailing across the sea from Lothlorien....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 02:58:14 pm »

I think it is about time really. However, when it does finally go live I hope the browsers are better equipped to handle it. I think I remember some years ago there was a discussion about this and Firefox actually ended up disabling this feature because of security issues.

The whole problem is really that the Internet was based on ASCII character codes which are pretty limited because they are only 7bit. Now we have Unicode which allows for pretty much any character you can think of in any language. So there has to be a mechanism there to properly decode the Unicode. Before if you sent a special character to a webserver you weren't too sure how it would recognize it. Now though it is much more common to find servers running in Unicode.

-- signature --

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 10:23:02 pm »

I understand that and agree somewhat but I believe that now the internet world has perhaps become a little smaller as everyone separates into their own language domain.

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 09:48:01 pm »

How would a person w/a Latin based keyboard access these addresses though? (Not that there would be a need I guess, if I can't type it, I prolly can't read it).

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 06:30:29 am »

Yes but if you are someone who can speak the language I'm sure you've got something on the computer to allow you to type the characters that you need.

Personally I don't speak any languages outside English and German. I wouldn't want to view sites that are in Chinese or Arabic. However, I would like to call up websites in German using the proper spelling instead of having to spell it phonetically.

For example the proper name for Munich is München but on line I would need to enter it as Muenchen because webservers don't recognize the ü.

-- signature --

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 05:21:44 pm »

They should reinvent the key-boards so we have versatility.  smile

It would be cool to just be able to perhaps snap in another language keyboard onto the standard base. smile

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 09:51:31 pm »

They should reinvent the key-boards so we have versatility.  smile

It would be cool to just be able to perhaps snap in another language keyboard onto the standard base. smile

Microsoft has a pretty decent way to switch local language, we just need keyboards with LCDs or something to display what character is going to be produced when we push the buttons after changing the mappings.
Proggin'

..... .....

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 10:09:55 pm »

Good idea. smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: