November 18, 2019, 09:54:58 pm
News: GalahTech Community Based Technical Support!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Feeling nostalgic.  (Read 13891 times)
Sue
Old Timer

Stars: +2/-0

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 12:54:26 am »

Its great to see you again DF. bye1

Sailing across the sea from Lothlorien....

Dragonfly
Founders

Stars: +1/-1

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 01:09:47 am »

You too Sue! Grin

I actually popped in today to grab that recipe for the Oatmeal choc chip cookies (fist batch in the oven as we speak!!!) you sent me Grin

Hope you have been well!

smile

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 01:29:21 am »

WhooHOO!  LOL  I hope they turn out as good for you as they do here because Im not sure if you have the same name brand ingredients where you live as I have for this recipe here.  You are a great cook and baker though as I remember so I am sure yours will likely be even better than mine are. lol

Can you let me know the results?.... as you are the only person in the world that I have shared my recipe with.  I would like to know if they turn out. smile

Dragonfly
Founders

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 02:17:22 am »

LOL well I don't know if they are as good as yours tbh.. we don't have any of the Brands, so I had to improvise, not sure if they are how they are meant to be or not Another Tounge hehehe

But they taste pretty yummy!  Sort of crispy on the edges and chewy in the middle!  I had to flatten them out on the tray, as the first batch didn't flatten naturally, the are sort of domed LOL ..so they look a bit "rough" but that's cool.. I like a bit of a rustic look Grin

happydance

Thank you for sharing the recipe with me, I feel extra specially blessed that you did if I am the only one you have given it to!  worthy

smile

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 03:17:12 am »

Oh well done!  They look fantastic!

From your description...Ive never had the troubled effect you have.  Perhaps its the different name brands between our countries that effect the results? 

I just drop from teaspoonfuls and I do not have to press them down and they turn out like yours anyway.  Mine are also not as dark and never have crispy edges so your oven and mine might be baking at different heat levels.  I'm not sure.  Otherwise...yours seem perfect. 

Crispy edges as you likely know already, usually mean that the batter was a bit too moist or too much vegetable shortening or something off balance, yet you mention that you have to press yours down....I would have to know your ingredients in order to perhaps adjust the recipe so you wouldn't have to press them or get the crispy edges.  Mine are soft and chewy all the way through but Ive had years to invent this recipe using my ingredients and my oven available here in Ontario Canada.

You are very welcome to the recipes.....and yes you are the only human in the world that I have shared this secret recipe with.  They were in high demand in the restaurant I used to bake for.  They sold out every day no matter how many dozen I baked.

Enjoy... smile

Dragonfly
Founders

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 04:08:33 am »

Actually I didn't know that about the crispy edges.. so you learn something new every day Grin

The edges don't detract.. far from it, they are part of how great these cookies are imho Grin Although I am sure your ones without are totally devine!

I used a Vegetable Shortening instead of the Crisco, and used regular plain flour, and of course a local brand of choc chips and oats ... but apart from that it is pretty much your recipe... except I added the 1/3 cup of water from the first recipe as the mix was a bit too dry (my flour was probably thirstier than your brand)

The pressing down thing might be to do with me using a new Silicone sheet for baking, it has a sort of pattern on it, and it might have prevented the mixture from spreading sideways as per normal.. I generally used to use silicone baking paper when I made this sort of cookie, and they always spread sideways rather than rising  up.. not sure.

All in all, I am pretty happy with how they turned out.. again thanks for the recipe Grin

smile

Dragonfly
Founders

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 04:11:17 am »

Forgot to add.. my oven is fan forced.. which generally cooks "hotter" then non fan forced, it browns things up a lot more, you have to really watch it when baking!

smile

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 04:52:04 am »

Hi DF Those cookies look awesome. Looks like I'll have to find an excuse to make some more with my boys. They love working in the kitchen.

-- signature --

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 06:11:25 am »

Actually I didn't know that about the crispy edges.. so you learn something new every day Grin

The edges don't detract.. far from it, they are part of how great these cookies are imho Grin Although I am sure your ones without are totally devine!

I used a Vegetable Shortening instead of the Crisco, and used regular plain flour, and of course a local brand of choc chips and oats ... but apart from that it is pretty much your recipe... except I added the 1/3 cup of water from the first recipe as the mix was a bit too dry (my flour was probably thirstier than your brand)

The pressing down thing might be to do with me using a new Silicone sheet for baking, it has a sort of pattern on it, and it might have prevented the mixture from spreading sideways as per normal.. I generally used to use silicone baking paper when I made this sort of cookie, and they always spread sideways rather than rising  up.. not sure.

All in all, I am pretty happy with how they turned out.. again thanks for the recipe Grin

Yes one of my ovens is a convection too and yes it moves the heat around better and I have the same issues with it as you do. smile

In Canada/USA....'Crisco' is vegetable shortening, and I used the regular all purpose flour too.  Sometimes I have to adjust the water adding more or less depending.....but I agree with you that it must be your baking sheets as I do not use that type yet.  I prefer my regular metal baking sheets. 

One thing you could try is bakers parchment paper as well to cover your sheets and see what happens but if you are happy with the cookies as they are then....just enjoy and gobble them up. lol

The chocolate chip part can be changed into anything you like instead.  Ive tried raisins, chopped maraschino cherries, pecans, m&m peanuts or butterscotch chips instead depending on how often I made the cookies and how sometimes people just wanted something different.  You can also colour the batter to make children giggle. smile

InvisibleDuncan

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 04:53:35 pm »

Come on, Kimbo - let's have some of those cookies couriered over to me. It's about time they had an official taste test. smile

Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

zaei
Supporters

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2010, 06:27:05 am »

Boo.

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Stars: +3/-0

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010, 11:22:18 pm »

Wow Z!!! How you been?

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 08:17:10 pm »

wth Z, just pop in and say boo w/o any details of how things have been going or what you have been up to?  banned2

..... .....

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 05:04:50 pm »

I think we need more cookies. shifty

007shahid
Monster Poster

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2010, 04:46:03 am »

I'd bake you some if I could do so!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print

Jump to: