August 09, 2020, 02:32:33 pm
News: IF YOU ARE A MEMBER FROM THE ORIGINAL SITE AND CAN'T LOGIN. POST IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM (AS GUEST) AND AN ADMIN WILL ASSIST YOU TO ACCESS THE SITE!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Online Favorites / bookmarks storage?  (Read 3377 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« on: December 12, 2008, 04:52:37 pm »

I've got too many different places that I have bookmarks, and of course the risks that are run when wiping a drive and then remembering that you *didn't* remember to backup the bookmarks... I recall seeing these types of sites but can't seem to find any now...

what would be ideal is some sort of grease monkey compatible app that would make it behave like it was part of my browser or something  mf_Dr_Evil

..... .....

MBB

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 12:18:29 pm »

I don't know of any pluging for existing browsers, but I know of two browsers that have this option:
-Avant browser (an shell that runs on the IE engine, and uses it's bookmarks)
http://www.avantbrowser.com/
and (from the same creators) Orca browser (Gecko 1.9 engine), a Firefox compatible.
http://www.orcabrowser.com/

They can store bookmarks, RSS feeds and auto-fill online. Thouh I do not know how as I do not use it myself.
I only tried Avand because it allows me to place other bars inside the Title bar, leaving more screen space, and considering the Orca one because it could be usefull to have 2 firefox editions with different plugins enabled. (though I;m looking for an easier solution.)

Addition:
Having just tried Orca for five minutes, I can already say it is not as close to Firefox as their site claims:
-you can not add new search enige scripts,. You can only modify the default engines for the filetype you are searching for.
-some addons do not work (trerestyle tab)
-it uses the IE bookmarks, not the Firfox ones.

Also, it only offers one download, so I'm guessing it only runs under windows.
So you probably have more luck with Firefox addons:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=online+bookmark&cat=all
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:34:22 pm by MBB » Logged

<::::::::::::::::]==0+

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:39:48 pm »

I thought I posted what I found to work for me but I must have forgotten.

I signed up for google bookmarks so that takes care of having an online storage place for them. Then I have a grease monkey script, gbookmarks, to make it work like a standard favorite menu (somewhat, google bookmarks dont really have a hierarchical organization that i would like but rather use 'tags').

..... .....

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 11:15:03 pm »

Yeah they do everything by tag. For smaller numbers that is ok but once you have piles if things, it becomes annoying.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: