December 14, 2019, 09:25:33 pm
News: If someone gives you assistance give them a Good Star
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Some new bug?  (Read 5769 times)
Sue
Old Timer

Stars: +2/-0

« on: April 07, 2009, 06:57:48 pm »

I was not using my computer yesterday yet when I was sitting at my desk I noticed that my screen saver would stop and restart on it's own.  Something it never did before without touching my mouse or keyboard.  I was nursing the baby so I let it continue until I had free hands to look at it.  When I tried to use my mouse...nothing would work.  The computer functions but extremely slow and the mouse hardly has any effect on what I am doing and if it does...the delay is almost a half hour before something works.  When I tried to click on my start menu here using Vista...Id only get a folder to open showing only 3 folders representing software.  My start menu has lists of choices but I could not access any of them.  It has taken me since last evening to even get Firefox or the ability to type. 

The computer would not let me access any virus software and finally once I was eventually able...it said it didn't exist.  Today I ran a new download of AVG and it said nothing about any trouble with my computer nor did any adware software I ran so far.

My friend in the next room last evening came to me saying that something was wrong with her computer saying that something had deleted a lot of her software and her MSN emoticons yet MSN was saying that she had 40 of her own icons there. Nothing was showing nor is a lot of her software.  She has run many scans and her computer is now speeding up but we are both wondering what is going on and how to repair this situation.

Today her computer is working better than mine but we can not explain what is going on.

Any thoughts? dunno

Sailing across the sea from Lothlorien....

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 09:32:08 pm »

That sounds extremely strange... Can you see all the images in this link?

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

..... .....

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:16:46 pm »

Yes I see all six images.

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 12:41:37 am »

Do u guyz run firewall or just AVG? What sort of router security you have?

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:02:56 am »

I am so secure I run in stealth mode and can not be seen.  I have a wireless router and my service provider covers all security but I have already solid security and do not need theirs.  Yes I have firewalls. smile

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 05:25:52 am »

Hmm. Sounds solid. Is it possible that anyone else on the network would have acted stupid at a time or something like that?

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 05:50:31 am »

Oh yes....there are three others using my network and they are all 20 years old give or take a couple of months.  then there are the friends who show up and go online with their own laptops from time to time. 

Every scan Ive now been able to do says Im clean.  But last night and today I couldn't use my computer at all.  Now it seems to be crawling back on its own.  Its like something took it over for a while.  Drained my ability to use it and now its allowing me to gradually use it again.  Its very perplexing....

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 10:33:58 am »

If I were you then I would just shutdown all the PC. Switch off the router, switch it back again, start your computer alone, connect to the router and change the password to something more solid. Fully scan your PC (I know you have already done it) and secure it. Then bring 1 more PC online, repeat the steps to secure it. Do this for each machine to rule out the usual suspects (if any).

Hope this helps.

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:18:46 pm »

Did that often when we moved the system around....then the trouble started.  Only one computer wasn't effected apparently. Sad

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 12:30:25 am »

Hmm...weird. I would normally love to get my hands on this kinda nasty situations but unfortunately I am not there so can't really do anything Sad

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 01:45:36 am »

Yeah I understand this however no one knows what is going on, how this happened, nor how to repair the situation. Sad  Every scan I do does not detect anything wrong yet here I am with my computer running the way I describe above. Sad  Gradually Im getting more functions but the computer is far from what it was and I wasn't doing anything different to it.  I had hardly been near it all week nor for the month of March. It was working fine during the day but that evening, suddenly the mouse started to be useless and everything slowed down so slow that the computer wouldn't function. On it's own now...its crawling back faster each day and I don't understand why.  Its like someone/thing else is using my power up and limiting my use of my own computer.

Slowhand
Supporters

Stars: +0/-0

Awards:
Topic Necromancer

I code C#!

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 08:50:11 am »

Can you see any processes in the task manager that use large amounts of memory?
In fact, does it show abnormal CPU or memory usage at all?

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 01:25:39 pm »

No not now.  I wasn't able to check earlier. 

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 07:03:13 pm »

Is a reformat/reinstall out of the question? Personally I find its usually faster than dealing with the issue.

..... .....

Sue
Old Timer

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 12:09:34 am »

No, right now I think that is overkill...I have to back up a lot of stuff first as Im way behind unfortunately.

I'm starting to think my disgruntled son hacked my friends and my computer because he dislikes her and she is now missing her movies, the mouse flies away, all MSN stuff left and then returned, she can't delete programs anymore and AVG keeps telling her to restart her computer, her music files will play on their own but it isn't showing where they are playing from, and even if all programs are off and only MSN Messenger is running...her comp is running very slow now....all her virus scans showed no trouble.  I can't format her computer because its a French language model and it only wants French Windows and I don't have that available.  I tried to install an English version but it won't have it.

My mouse isn't working like it used to and it takes a while to get stuff working or responding now where as before it was instant.  Its like something is using my computer when I am too and they are winning at the power struggle.  This never happened to me before and everyone is perplexed at what to do.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: