February 28, 2021, 12:15:40 am
News: GalahTech Community Based Technical Support!
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 216   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued  (Read 515323 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #3165 on: October 31, 2016, 08:08:57 pm »

Double post Another Tounge

Friday night was rather interesting...

Two different acquaintances from way back (one guy I used to skate with back in the late 80s, another guy I've known since high school who's band(s) used to play with  my old band in the late 90s) bands (both in separate bands as the latter mentioned guy moved to Austin) played a show together so of course I had to attend. The evening started off with one of my ex-bandmates (who lived on my couch for over a year back in 2002) calling me right as I got home from work to come meet him at a bar... I turned him down with a "I have a lot I have to get done before the show [he knows one of the band members (but not the guys I know) so was going to the same show later] and if I started drinking now I wouldn't last till the bands start." excuse. He wasn't taking no for an answer at first but I stayed firm Another Tounge

Eventually the time comes and I arrive at the venue. I see one of the guys I mentioned above but he's talking to some chick and I don't want to interrupt so I just hang out at the bar. The ex-bandmate that called me earlier shows up and we hang out a bit. He steps out to smoke and that's the last I see of him for the night (as I foretold, starting that early results in going home early Another Tounge ). First band starts and I'm fairly close to the front. During the set the girl that one dude was talking to earlier is getting a bit into the show and bumps into me or something and apologizes (which is always strange to me, I'm at a punk show, I'm in the crowd, I expect to get bumped into/stepped on (hell, a couple weeks ago I wound up with a bloody face, just part of the fun)) so I'm like "It's cool, no worries," then she proceeds to give me a hug that was a bit more than I was comfortable with but after it was over I was just like "that was kind of weird" and went back to watching the band.

First band is over, I'm chatting with people while they swap out stage gear, aforementioned chick walks past with the guitarist from one of Texas City's early (late 80s) punk bands (not sure if he knew who I was or not, I'd be surprised if he didn't) and as they walk past she puts her hand on my chest saying "you going to come talk to me later?" I was pretty taken aback (and kind of embarrassed for dude who was clearly trying to get with her) so I don't even remember what my reaction was... I think I just laughed...

Then it dawned on me who she might be... I confirmed my suspicion with the guy I mentioned seeing talking to her when I walked in and was like "wtf dude, why is she here?" I forget his excuse being that it really didn't matter anyway. Well I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but there are two ex's that I would prefer to never encounter again... she's one of them (the other being my first wife)... I'm not like still angry at things that happened over 20 years ago (although they were pretty ducked up), but she was (and I assume still is) just a terrible person in general. Back in those days I guess I was too but I've obviously changed. Another Tounge But I decide to be civil, it's been over 20 years since I told her to never mention my name again, I'm just wanting to have a good time and not start [too much] trouble.

Later on she tries to talk to me a bit and while I'm polite I really don't have anything to say to her and she's like "Come on, it's not like we... well, I guess we did hate each other" and I'm like "yup, we did." She kept trying to hold my hand and put her arm around me but I kept pulling away (had the genders been reversed I bet someone would have stepped in Another Tounge ) till finally dude she was with earlier (not my friend) came up and was all (jokingly I assume) "I buy you a drink and you run off."
At one point I'm at the bar getting a drink and dude she was with comes to get them a round, I turn to him and say "If it is any question, I am NOT interested in that person." I just wanted to make it clear that there was no challenge from me (I didn't want him to give up and to be sure he was going to keep her occupied Another Tounge ). Then when he orders, the bartender informs him that she's cut off laugh1 (in hindsight (because I'm a narcissist that thinks things revolve around me) I wonder if it's due to them seeing her "harass" me and/or what I said to dude at the bar.) I think it's funny so I stick around to hear the conversation as he tries to convince them to serve her. I forget what was said but for some reason, to no one in particular (although she was in earshot), I say "she needs to kill herself," and walked off laugh1
She continued to try to get my attention throughout the night but I kept my attention on the bands or whomever I was talking to.

wtf is it with ex's from 20+ years ago bugging me all the time :wtf: (And speaking of, the one I mentioned a few (about 6) months ago that sent over 200 "hi" messages created yet ANOTHER (I think we're up to five now) facebook account to friend request me with... not sure what her game is there, she's not trying to disguise that it's her (just changing one letter) so it's just a testament to her mental state I guess...)

Surprisingly I wasn't hungover Saturday morning. We finished bringing the last turtles/tub inside and knocked out a few random things (tbh I can't even remember what all laugh1 ) When I was almost to dude's house my server started alerting about a service being down... I decided against turning around (would have been about an hour round trip) and hoped since it was Saturday that there wouldn't been much activity on that service... there wasn't, and everything turned out OK, but it stressed me all day Another Tounge we also wound up working later than usual too... I figured since we were going out (dude hardly goes out) he would want to call it a day early... nope (details of my issue here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40344287/scheduled-tasks-stopping-randomly )

That night we went (separately) to a small festival at a bar where I've gone a few times. Some (three) of our old bandmates from Texas City's wives had merchant booths there so we hung out with them. When I walked into the bar, the owner, who is also a bartender, is all "Hey, good to see you!" So I'm thinking he's just being a bartender, working for the tips, but as he hands me a beer he says "Simmons right?" I've probably only been there four times since I've been back so it was a little surprising. I think it's because I always make a point to chat with his mom who is usually perched at the bar (drinking a soda). I think she has dementia or something similar, and is super sweet/friendly, so she kind of reminds me of my grandmother (and she always thinks I'm in whatever band is playing laugh1 ). I think it was my 2nd time there (would have been August/September 2015), I was meeting a friend there and I arrived first so I got a seat at the bar next to her (having never met/seen her before). We wound up chatting for a while, and every time after that I make it a point to spend a few minutes talking to her.

The ex-bandmate I mentioned before, that called me to come out Friday showed up. He knows the guys that came up from Texas City but he has a bit of an abrasive personality so typically people don't like to be around him... he was on his best behavior that night though (I think he may be trying to work on not being so offensive, I will be surprised if it lasts).

Turtle guy and I were both hungover the next morning so we didn't get a whole lot done, but we tried an idea I had to improve the nest boxes and it seems to work so we applied that to 4 of the 8. Hopefully he'll be able to get the other 4 over the week and next Saturday we'll knock out the filters. (We aren't working next Sunday, he has things to do, going to be weird getting to sleep in :zzz: )

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #3166 on: November 01, 2016, 06:22:12 am »

Well it sounds like you had an interesting weekend Grin. I'm not sure what I would do if I faced an ex. To be honest I've only met up with an ex once ever, and that was after we were both happily married and she and her husband were making a tour through Germany and we arranged a meet-up. My wife was ok with it, and it was nice to see that we've both moved on and are happy.

My weekend was pretty docile. Mostly learning the GWT I need for the next job, and a bit of grocery shopping. I'm on vacation this week yay and will have exactly 9 days left with the company when I return, then another 2 weeks vacation. Although the last 2 weeks will be doing intensive study and prep work so not really a relaxing time.

The new company has already been in touch. They are pretty excited about my pending arrival because they have a lot of work. Specifically since their (our?) big customer, a Europe wide discount grocery chain, is extending their online store and we're doing the work with the backend side of things. When I arrive on December 1st I'll be the 23rd person in the company. So naturally they are looking forward to having me on-board.

What was nice is that since I'll be starting just before their Christmas party, they allowed me to cast my votes as to when and where to go, which I find really nice.

This week we're going to Köln (Cologne for you English speakers) and bringing my parents-in-law with. The kids get to have an entire day with their Grandparents at a children's science museum, the other days they have to go with mom and dad to see things Wink.

Well I gotta go and finish packing. We leave in a couple of hours. beerchug

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #3167 on: November 01, 2016, 11:40:50 pm »

Ugh, replied to your post, hit send and the servers crashed for hours... I was in the process of submitting a trouble ticket (support ducking sucks now too... they got rid of the two guys who know anything and outsourced it to people that can't do anything even when I tell them exactly what I need) when I pulled up the page to get the address and it came up (I checked it minutes before starting the ticket to confirm it was still down too laugh1 )

anyway, to sum up the reply that I can't be bothered to retype:
1 - I've kept in touch with most of my exs, lost touch with a couple but were on good terms. I'll say hi to ones that still run in the same social circles as myself when I'm out but I don't really care to hang out with them.
2 - You're already getting a taste of the small company environment, I prefer that to larger companies (and your new one is like 3x larger than mine) even though I feel it's keeping me back a bit.
3 - the coming trip sounds awesome! Have fun & be safe!

..... .....

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #3168 on: November 13, 2016, 10:26:59 pm »

G'Day bye1

How are you all?

Pergola finished. Only thing left now is to connect the gutter to the down-pipe and fill silicon at the wall flushing.

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

« Reply #3169 on: November 13, 2016, 10:38:23 pm »

More images.

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

« Reply #3170 on: November 13, 2016, 10:41:18 pm »

And finally the roof.

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #3171 on: November 14, 2016, 07:08:31 am »

Nice work Wrack. Always nice to have a roof over the terrace. Did you do all the work yourself? Personally I'm horrible with power tools. My father always said I couldn't hammer a nail straight even if my life depended on it.

So yeah, I'm on my last 4 days with the current company. I almost spontaneously started singing "I saw the light." today, although it's more like "I see the light at the end of the tunnel."

I've got a few more documents to write up, and a couple more things to hand over. It's a strange feeling, I'm really excited about my future, but I'm also a little sad that I'm leaving. Strange feeling to be honest, as I've never really had that before.

Winter is finally here in Germany. No snow yet but we're hovering right around freezing. It was actually -5C this morning. Everyone is hoping that an early start to the cold means we might have snow for Christmas, I'm not holding my breath though.

Been working on learning the GWT framework for the new job. I'm making decent progress at least. I've got something that looks and works ok, but need to finish up a few external service projects before I can really continue with the GWT one. At least the other services are fairly straight forward and I should knock them out in a couple of days. Just sat down this morning while on the train and started drawing (by hand even) the component and class diagrams on what I'm thinking it should look like.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #3172 on: November 14, 2016, 05:33:23 pm »

Strange, I received an email notification of new posts to this thread, it works so randomly (and rarely)...

Pergola finished. Only thing left now is to connect the gutter to the down-pipe and fill silicon at the wall flushing.
Awesome job!

Personally I'm horrible with power tools. My father always said I couldn't hammer a nail straight even if my life depended on it.
laugh1
My bedroom looks like a work shop. The furniture I have in there is literally workshop cabinetry & table that I bought for my townhouse's garage Another Tounge (Plus my 6' tool chest & storage shelves.) With the two major projects I've been working on [for other people] I'm glad to be getting some use out of my tools.

Speaking of those projects, both are winding down...

For the greenhouse, we finished up the filters Saturday, so as far as the turtles we are 100% complete (well, we still have to put down the threshold, a fairly easy task but requires some metal cutting (and other things were more urgent) so we haven't gotten around to it. Probably this coming weekend though.).
Still left to do is a wall of 12 40 gallon aquariums that I'm not totally sure what we're doing with. I do know we have to drill the glass for plumbing (scheduled for next weekend) and we're building "false bottoms" for some of them (that will be housing frogs).
After that I think there's a few random projects (like building a shelf) as well as cleaning up his yard, but it's just about done.

As for the deli, I finished drilling all the holes in the bathroom tile (including 2 I added just to secure one of the items better, and 2 that I was unaware of to make the sink more secure). I've been notified that I have to do two more in the kitchen area to secure a hand washing sink there as well. I'm not sure if they'll have more things for me to do or not. It's getting pretty close to done and what remains is mostly up to the plumber and obtaining equipment.

I've got a few more documents to write up, and a couple more things to hand over. It's a strange feeling, I'm really excited about my future, but I'm also a little sad that I'm leaving. Strange feeling to be honest, as I've never really had that before.
I've done it once (when I quit the company that I'm currently working for) and I offered to come in/ be available for questions which they took me up on a couple times but not much at all.

Winter is finally here in Germany. No snow yet but we're hovering right around freezing. It was actually -5C this morning. Everyone is hoping that an early start to the cold means we might have snow for Christmas, I'm not holding my breath though.
I brought out my jacket this weekend for the first time since last winter. I could have done without it but was glad I had it.

Nothing too exciting has happened in teh past two weeks.
Friday before last there were no shows I was interested in so I just went to one of my favorite venues since some local bands (I had never heard of) were playing. It was terrible Another Tounge The gal at the door asked who I was there to see when I paid my entry, at the time I assumed she either had a boyfriend in one of the bands or was trying to start a conversation/flirt with me (yes, I'm that narcissistic), but after the show I think it's just because she was surprised a "punk" attended that laugh1
Even though I had that Sunday off from turtles, I wound up not going out Saturday before last. After working on the greenhouse all day, taking a shower & eating... I just stayed in and watched tv Another Tounge I didn't know what to do with myself Sunday though... was strange not to have anywhere to be (did have company that evening/night).
Since there were no shows Friday before last, there were at least three I wanted to attend last Friday... I tried to work out a schedule to make it to two (friends) but it would have had me going to club A, then to club B, and back to club A. So I was just going to go to club A and stay... well, the first band at club A dropped off the bill so I was going to make it to both... but I wound up just staying at the first venue Another Tounge Bands ran late, I had to be up for the greenhouse project in the morning, etc.
Saturday there was a show I wanted to see in Galveston (friends who's band used to play with my old band down there in the 90s) so I canceled working on the greenhouse for Sunday and booked a room for Sat night down there. The "down town" area of Galveston is pretty small and walkable so we started off at a bar (where I used to spend a LOT of time), then hit the venue to see the bands, and back to the bar buddies had a pretty good time. Wound up working on the deli all day (nearly 12 hours) Sunday, coming home with just enough time to shower before going to bed.

So far I've had 5 teeth fixed, 12 more to go... I'm going to have some done by a different student since she needs someone to be her "exam" patient (I assume my regular student recommended me since I'm such a good patient Another Tounge ). We want to get 8 more done by Dec 15th and then start on the 4 crowns when they get back from the holiday break. (Still haven't done the orthodontic consult so not sure what's going on there (if anything) yet.)

..... .....

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

« Reply #3173 on: November 14, 2016, 10:28:44 pm »

Nice work Wrack. Always nice to have a roof over the terrace. Did you do all the work yourself? Personally I'm horrible with power tools. My father always said I couldn't hammer a nail straight even if my life depended on it.
Thanks.

Not me alone though, Dad helped a lot. That being said, I can handle power tools just fine. I am a Mechanical Engineer by Diploma (2 Years) + 3 Years of Technical Studies which is like a precursor to the engineering studies after all.

So yeah, I'm on my last 4 days with the current company. I almost spontaneously started singing "I saw the light." today, although it's more like "I see the light at the end of the tunnel."

I know the feeling. But sometimes change is a good thing.

Winter is coming and no John Snow bruce_h4h busted_cop

Been working on learning the GWT framework for the new job. I'm making decent progress at least. I've got something that looks and works ok, but need to finish up a few external service projects before I can really continue with the GWT one. At least the other services are fairly straight forward and I should knock them out in a couple of days. Just sat down this morning while on the train and started drawing (by hand even) the component and class diagrams on what I'm thinking it should look like.
Is that Google Web Toolkit? What is it used for? Looks like Java based Website Development Tools.

Sometimes drawing on paper makes so much sense.

Strange, I received an email notification of new posts to this thread, it works so randomly (and rarely)...
I don't think I recall you ever saying that they worked perfect.

Awesome job!
Thanks smile

My bedroom looks like a work shop. The furniture I have in there is literally workshop cabinetry & table that I bought for my townhouse's garage Another Tounge (Plus my 6' tool chest & storage shelves.) With the two major projects I've been working on [for other people] I'm glad to be getting some use out of my tools.
Yeah do the next project for me is already done. Made a nice 1100mm x 900mm folding workbench in the garage at a working height of 915mm. Next project is the storage cabinet for the garage.

After that I think there's a few random projects (like building a shelf) as well as cleaning up his yard, but it's just about done.
I have got couple of more projects during the summer so this is going to be a busy and expensive year!!!

So far I've had 5 teeth fixed, 12 more to go... I'm going to have some done by a different student since she needs someone to be her "exam" patient (I assume my regular student recommended me since I'm such a good patient Another Tounge ). We want to get 8 more done by Dec 15th and then start on the 4 crowns when they get back from the holiday break. (Still haven't done the orthodontic consult so not sure what's going on there (if anything) yet.)
It looks like you got the entire set done. How many untouched now sofa

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #3174 on: November 15, 2016, 07:38:33 am »

Is that Google Web Toolkit? What is it used for? Looks like Java based Website Development Tools.

Sometimes drawing on paper makes so much sense.

Yes it is. It's a framework for building web applications in Java. Java has done a lot of web based stuff in the past. It's one of the reasons there is the Tomcat application server to deliver these web apps. GWT basically makes it easier to build these types of webapps. Probably the biggest benefit from using it, besides working in a language I know, is that it compiles the entire frontend down to java scripts, and loads the script depending on the browser used to access the site. So the idea is that when you write a site, and view it in IE it looks exactly the same as when you view it under Firefox, or Chrome, or Safari for that matter. It handles calls to the backend pretty easily too with a couple of different models. It's actually not too bad once I started working with it.

I've found that diagramming with any method is useful to understanding what I'm working on. So if I'm not sure I whip out the old UML and start drawing boxes, and lines. It even makes me see when I thought something would work but doesn't make sense.

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #3175 on: November 15, 2016, 05:35:02 pm »

That being said, I can handle power tools just fine. I am a Mechanical Engineer by Diploma (2 Years) + 3 Years of Technical Studies which is like a precursor to the engineering studies after all.
That's pretty awesome, I didn't know you had that background.

I don't think I recall you ever saying that they worked perfect.
They did years (nearly a decade?) ago, back when Sue was in regular attendance (I recall because when they started breaking she was teh one that noticed). They've been working the past 24 hours :shock:

It looks like you got the entire set done. How many untouched now sofa
I actually don't know... An adult human has 32 teeth total. 4 of those are "wisdom teeth" and are typically removed (mine were) so that leaves 28. My [having a brain fart thinking of the term for this but for lack of a better one] project plan has 17 teeth (5 of which we've done), so that means there are 11 that didn't need any work when I went to my first appointment last month (or was it the month before?) however... I don't know if they already had work done or are in their natural state.

I've found that diagramming with any method is useful to understanding what I'm working on. So if I'm not sure I whip out the old UML and start drawing boxes, and lines. It even makes me see when I thought something would work but doesn't make sense.
Yup, I keep a pad of graph paper on my desk for when I get stumped. It's actually one of the few reasons I think I would use a tablet (like an MS Surface), so I could "draw" directly to my OneNote documents that I access from my home pc, work pc, and phone. (Rather than taking pictures of them when I think I'll need to (and sometimes regretting not taking one).)

Work has been fairly frustrating lately... Dealing with a bunch of stuff that I'd like to just say "this isn't in my job description!" due to PCI compliance stuff... Sometimes not being "just a programmer" is what I like about working for a small company, especially when I was new to IT, but these days I just want to code (especially since my project list is HUGE (and everything is priority...))... It's mainly frustrating because I suck at network stuff and basically I'm trying to set up a VM instance on one of our servers and I don't know where the point of failure is at... the software running in the VM, the VM software, the hosting server, the firewall, etc etc etc etcetcetc...

Heading back to Galveston straight after work to get some things done that are holding up the plumber (and he's holding up other things) drive1

..... .....

Bonker Gudd
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #3176 on: November 16, 2016, 01:57:37 am »

note The moose on top note

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #3177 on: November 16, 2016, 05:12:45 am »

note The moose on top note

note Moose, moose, I likes a moose, I never had anything quite like a moose. I've had many women some wild and some loose but I've never had anything quite like a moose. note

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #3178 on: November 16, 2016, 02:47:10 pm »

I'm going to guess that's some Monty Python

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #3179 on: November 16, 2016, 05:47:15 pm »

I'm going to guess that's some Monty Python

I don't think so. I learned it while participating in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism).

-- signature --

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 216   Go Up
Print

Jump to: