April 23, 2021, 02:14:35 pm
News: GalahTech Community Based Technical Support!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 67874 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #345 on: April 05, 2021, 04:50:13 pm »

That's good to hear. I was afraid you might have had what they call here "long covid" even people who were only mildly sick have a hard time shaking off feeling sick, or cant' taste for months after they supposedly recovered.
Ah yeah, I've heard about that, and some people losing hearing or being in a 'permanent' brain fog. Fortunately not the case here, was 3 days of "really bad flu" (with temps getting scary high) and 7 more days of "mild flu" (with temps staying below 101). One of my bandmates (we all got it at the same time, so probably the same source) lost his taste but was back to normal in the 10 days or less.

I can't say much about the hardware. During the warmer months last year my boss bought the entire development team new lighter and more powerful laptops. He even bought an extra monitor for me since I didn't have a safe way to transfer one of the ones I have at the office to home.
lucky... it's like pulling teeth to get my boss to pay invoices or anything, much less a "luxury" item like a computer that I can have more than 5 apps open at once with out it going sooooo slow. I think it's the biggest issue of small companies, he probably sees any extra spending as coming out of his pocket.

I'm not sure what he's thinking about when it comes to office space though. I believe our lease ends at the end of either this or next year. He's been talking about moving the company to another location in the same city but hasn't made any real plans.
I think my boss has been wanting something more contemporary (I think he believes the reason I resigned in 2005 was for the window office on the 11th floor) for some time (we were in a building that was obviously a residence at some point).

My wife got her first shot of BioNTech/Pfizer about a week ago. She will probably get her second dose next weekend. Other than that I'm still only priority 3 and they haven't finished with the prio 1s yet.
We're open to all here in TX now. Before that I had friends getting it and I was like "how the hell did you get the shot already?" and it turns out they were going to neighboring "red" counties where people where the vaccine was available, but people weren't getting them... I figured I really don't come into contact with anyone so I wasn't going to bother doing any extra work and just get it when I come up on the wait list. I get my 2nd dose next week

Our biggest problem is not getting enough Vaccine. BioNTech just opened a new factory here in Germany with bottling happening in Belgium so they expect to start producing a lot more vaccine and faster, without having to worry about exporting from the US or Great Britain. If Germany and the EU have their way, the vaccines will stay in Europe or be sent to countries where they don't have enough vaccine production, instead of exporting to the US or Great Britain.
Hopefully you can get it soon! (and that it's the safe right thing to do... I'm still a little worried we'll find out an "oops, we just discovered that anyone who got it will now die at 55" or something, but if it means I get to live now, IDGAF)

That's cool. Sadly I don't have too much in the way of diversions except painting, and then the problem is with the cold weather the only place where I can paint is the same place where I spend 8 hours a day working dunno
My living space is so small that I'm in the same area for 16'ish hrs a day laugh1

I had a really hard time getting motivated to do anything really. I certainly spent too much time playing video games instead as an attempt at diversion, but that can only go so far. While I've been off I took down all my office stuff and set the area up so I can paint. Since then I've spent practically two days down there tinkering on a couple of painting projects. That is certainly helping.
I've been playing a tiny bit of video games in the little downtime I can manage. But it's mostly work, work, or band stuff.

rofl_yello I'm not sure I can say I wouldn't realize I'm off work. Then again I have a wife and kids at home to remind me Grin.
Yep, my work doesn't really involve input/output from anyone else unless there's a bug in production. I probably talk (as in not email) to coworkers/boss a few times a month laugh1 (and emails a couple times a week).

yay I've pretty much closed out any thought of doing freelance for a while. I would rather spend my off time doing other things.
I envy you there! These are both old projects (and I feel the one will be ongoing for a bit), definitely not planning to take another for the foreseeable future.

Cool! I'll take a look. They are on Spotify right?
Yep!

Although I'm originally from the Midwest my parents weren't big Polka fans, mostly country and western. While I've heard a few polkas, I doubt I would recognize one from the other. Polka is also not really popular here in Germany specifically since it comes from the Czec Republic.
This is where my ignorant American is showing sofa I always thought it was a German thing. Now that I think about it, the event I've been to a few times as a kid was "Czec fest." We did have German fest in VA and I **think** there was polka bands but now I can't remember (and I was just at those every year from 2011-2014 laugh1 )

After doing a quick search there apparently is a Polka museum in Texas http://texaspolkamuseum.com/ rofl_yello
Yeah, there's an area that was heavily settled by Germans (or Czecs?) . Today's Tejano music pulls in some influence from that as well.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #346 on: April 05, 2021, 09:09:30 pm »

Ah yeah, I've heard about that, and some people losing hearing or being in a 'permanent' brain fog. Fortunately not the case here, was 3 days of "really bad flu" (with temps getting scary high) and 7 more days of "mild flu" (with temps staying below 101). One of my bandmates (we all got it at the same time, so probably the same source) lost his taste but was back to normal in the 10 days or less.

That's good to hear. I know very few people who've actually caught it so my experience with how bad the after affects comes mostly from what's reported in the news.

lucky... it's like pulling teeth to get my boss to pay invoices or anything, much less a "luxury" item like a computer that I can have more than 5 apps open at once with out it going sooooo slow. I think it's the biggest issue of small companies, he probably sees any extra spending as coming out of his pocket.

I'm pretty sure he did it as a tax right off. Some of us were complaining about the old laptops. Although when we did get the new ones it took some members of the team weeks before the moved everything over. Re-installing our development environment is not something members of our team enjoy laugh1

I think my boss has been wanting something more contemporary (I think he believes the reason I resigned in 2005 was for the window office on the 11th floor) for some time (we were in a building that was obviously a residence at some point).

Our current location is on a mezzanine level above a car dealership. Basically our hall way is open on one side and looks directly down on the showroom floor. This is normally fine until they start wanting to move cars in and out of the showroom. They always seem to want to do that when we are working, instead of like coming in early to do it. Or what's even worse if they are trying to impress someone with the car (usually a Porche) they will start it up and rev the engine. We usually have to close our doors because the fumes are so bad. So none of the team would be disappointed if we were to move I'm sure.

We're open to all here in TX now. Before that I had friends getting it and I was like "how the hell did you get the shot already?" and it turns out they were going to neighboring "red" counties where people where the vaccine was available, but people weren't getting them... I figured I really don't come into contact with anyone so I wasn't going to bother doing any extra work and just get it when I come up on the wait list. I get my 2nd dose next week
Yeah, we have some friends in Arizona and they were saying that some places are begging people to come in and get the vaccine so that they don't have to waste any. That drives me insane that so many people don't want to take a vaccine! :grr: Hell I'd roll my sleeve up regardless what they offer (accept maybe the Russian one, I don't particularly trust them).

Hopefully you can get it soon! (and that it's the safe right thing to do... I'm still a little worried we'll find out an "oops, we just discovered that anyone who got it will now die at 55" or something, but if it means I get to live now, IDGAF)
So do I! I'm so ready, but here in Germany the focus is first on those most vulnerable to dying from it. My in-laws either have their first or they have the appointment for their first shot. My wife figures I'll probably get called some time in May. Mostly because I have asthma Another Tounge
My living space is so small that I'm in the same area for 16'ish hrs a day laugh1

That would drive me insane!! Nope I would have to find ways to go somewhere else. Even if it means renting a storage shed and putting a chair in it so I can sit for a few hours Another Tounge

I've been playing a tiny bit of video games in the little downtime I can manage. But it's mostly work, work, or band stuff.

At least with band stuff you get a chance to be creative. What video games are you playing? I've kind of moved on from Minecraft for the moment, and have been focusing on Cities: Skylines. It's what SimCity should have become. It's really good if you like those sort of things.

Yep, my work doesn't really involve input/output from anyone else unless there's a bug in production. I probably talk (as in not email) to coworkers/boss a few times a month laugh1 (and emails a couple times a week).

I envy you there! These are both old projects (and I feel the one will be ongoing for a bit), definitely not planning to take another for the foreseeable future.

My last freelance was helping my old company with an issue. When they requested I come to their office during the pandemic (not long after we moved to home office), and I said that I can't do that but would be willing to join in remotely, I didn't hear anything else from them after that. Eventually they contacted me to return the loaner laptop. I was happy to give it back, and wished them luck.

This is where my ignorant American is showing sofa I always thought it was a German thing. Now that I think about it, the event I've been to a few times as a kid was "Czec fest." We did have German fest in VA and I **think** there was polka bands but now I can't remember (and I was just at those every year from 2011-2014 laugh1 )

You are probably thinking of a Blaskapelle. They are very common in the Bavarian region, and the music could be confused with Polka. I tend to call it Um-pa-pa music Grin. Usually at a Volksfest like Oktoberfest in Munich you will find the tents have a Blaskapelle playing. It's tradition Grin

Yeah, there's an area that was heavily settled by Germans (or Czecs?) . Today's Tejano music pulls in some influence from that as well.

Germans actually. I watched a show about it, and apparently they ended up with their own dialect of German, which I believe is referred to as Texas German. Funny enough when my wife was visiting the US back when she was a student, she got to meet the Amish and what we tend to call "Pennsylvania Dutch" is in actually a very old form of German. For the most part she and her classmates could communicate with the Amish in their own language. My wife said that in a lot of cases they used really old words for things that were no longer used in modern German. This actually makes sense since I believe the Amish originated from Switzerland, but we won't get into the Swiss dialect of German. I'm not sure anyone other than the Swiss can understand that Tongue

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #347 on: April 05, 2021, 09:56:51 pm »

That's good to hear. I know very few people who've actually caught it so my experience with how bad the after affects comes mostly from what's reported in the news.
I've heard there's basically three ways it can go (from a person who had all three in their immediate family at the same time) :
1 - You have it but not ill at all
2 - bad flu
3 - death

I'm pretty sure he did it as a tax right off. Some of us were complaining about the old laptops. Although when we did get the new ones it took some members of the team weeks before the moved everything over. Re-installing our development environment is not something members of our team enjoy laugh1
What's so crazy about installing y'all's environment?

Our current location is on a mezzanine level above a car dealership. Basically our hall way is open on one side and looks directly down on the showroom floor. This is normally fine until they start wanting to move cars in and out of the showroom. They always seem to want to do that when we are working, instead of like coming in early to do it. Or what's even worse if they are trying to impress someone with the car (usually a Porche) they will start it up and rev the engine. We usually have to close our doors because the fumes are so bad. So none of the team would be disappointed if we were to move I'm sure.
ooh, yeah, I couldn't do that... I've become super sensitive to fumes... would give me headaches for sure.

Yeah, we have some friends in Arizona and they were saying that some places are begging people to come in and get the vaccine so that they don't have to waste any. That drives me insane that so many people don't want to take a vaccine! :grr: Hell I'd roll my sleeve up regardless what they offer (accept maybe the Russian one, I don't particularly trust them).
yep, seems like the could have done better planning around the anti-vac people. like maybe a poll, or a sign-up before the vacc arrives. dunno

So do I! I'm so ready, but here in Germany the focus is first on those most vulnerable to dying from it. My in-laws either have their first or they have the appointment for their first shot. My wife figures I'll probably get called some time in May. Mostly because I have asthma Another Tounge
Yeah we were too, I couldn't even get on a list before a couple weeks ago, but I guess they got'em all.

That would drive me insane!! Nope I would have to find ways to go somewhere else. Even if it means renting a storage shed and putting a chair in it so I can sit for a few hours Another Tounge
laugh1 I was going to say in VA I was sat in a 7x9' room 90% of 5 years, but I did have my daily walk in the woods which is more than I get here.

At least with band stuff you get a chance to be creative. What video games are you playing? I've kind of moved on from Minecraft for the moment, and have been focusing on Cities: Skylines. It's what SimCity should have become. It's really good if you like those sort of things.
I've been hoping around a bit, was playing some D&D games from the 80s that I had back in the 5" floppy days, but recently re-visited an mmo (project gorgon) that I was part of the kickstarter in 2014. Being that I tend to get to play in very small bursts (like 2hr a night for 2 or 3 nights) then busy for long periods of time (like a week), I'll lose interest in what I was playing by the time I could get back to it. Fortunately I have like 900 games sofa

You are probably thinking of a Blaskapelle. They are very common in the Bavarian region, and the music could be confused with Polka. I tend to call it Um-pa-pa music Grin. Usually at a Volksfest like Oktoberfest in Munich you will find the tents have a Blaskapelle playing. It's tradition Grin
I just looked some up and it seems to mostly be horns. This band from the fest has an accordion (I cant find any video of them, just the picture at the bottom of the page) :
http://www.germanfestva.org/music-at-germanfest.html

My wife said that in a lot of cases they used really old words for things that were no longer used in modern German. This actually makes sense since I believe the Amish originated from Switzerland, but we won't get into the Swiss dialect of German. I'm not sure anyone other than the Swiss can understand that Tongue
I recently read about why Americans and British people speak differently, the gist of it was that we spoke the same when America was first founded (obviously) but it was the Brits that started butchering (in my opinion (remember when this forum was mostly people from the UK? I would have been drawn and quartered for that comment laugh1 )) the language while we stayed true to the original form. So the fact that they use old words would kind of follow that as well.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #348 on: April 06, 2021, 08:33:47 am »

I've heard there's basically three ways it can go (from a person who had all three in their immediate family at the same time) :
1 - You have it but not ill at all
2 - bad flu
3 - death

I've heard simliar, but I've also heard the bad flu, then feeling bad for a long period. Seriously don't want to have that either.

What's so crazy about installing y'all's environment?
Installing Java, then installing Eclipse, then downloading the project from SVN, and then setting everything up to run. It takes me about an hour. More annoying that troublesome really.

ooh, yeah, I couldn't do that... I've become super sensitive to fumes... would give me headaches for sure.

Yeah none of us are happy with the location.

yep, seems like the could have done better planning around the anti-vac people. like maybe a poll, or a sign-up before the vacc arrives. dunno
Exactly.

Yeah we were too, I couldn't even get on a list before a couple weeks ago, but I guess they got'em all.

Well that's important.

laugh1 I was going to say in VA I was sat in a 7x9' room 90% of 5 years, but I did have my daily walk in the woods which is more than I get here.
The first few months of Lockdown last year was already driving me crazy. I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle that.

I've been hoping around a bit, was playing some D&D games from the 80s that I had back in the 5" floppy days, but recently re-visited an mmo (project gorgon) that I was part of the kickstarter in 2014. Being that I tend to get to play in very small bursts (like 2hr a night for 2 or 3 nights) then busy for long periods of time (like a week), I'll lose interest in what I was playing by the time I could get back to it. Fortunately I have like 900 games sofa
Yikes! I'm much more limited in the games that I have.

I just looked some up and it seems to mostly be horns. This band from the fest has an accordion (I cant find any video of them, just the picture at the bottom of the page) :
http://www.germanfestva.org/music-at-germanfest.html
True Blaskapellen are mostly horns, or wind instruments of some sort. Although I'm sure I've seen them with an accordion. Germans also enjoy accordion music Tongue

I recently read about why Americans and British people speak differently, the gist of it was that we spoke the same when America was first founded (obviously) but it was the Brits that started butchering (in my opinion (remember when this forum was mostly people from the UK? I would have been drawn and quartered for that comment laugh1 )) the language while we stayed true to the original form. So the fact that they use old words would kind of follow that as well.

British, Australian, and Kiwi yep, with the occasional continental European thrown in Grin

True the spelling and pronunciation of Aluminum is also storied. Aluminum was first discovered in the US, and the guy discovered it called it Aluminium, but then changed it to Aluminum to but the British insisted on holding on to the older spelling.

BTW do you use Discord at all? Maybe sometime if we are both online at the same time we can have a call Grin

-- signature --

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #349 on: Yesterday at 07:14:59 pm »

Ha! So I regained my crown as tech king in the house Grin!

We recently bought air cleaners for the house to help remove pollen and other things that could cause problems with my asthma. The biggest one (for the living room) has an app and can connect to our wlan so we can control it and read out how bad the pollutants are in the room. My eldest was really hot about getting it connected so he could play with it Roll Eyes and so when I came upstairs from work this evening, I was bombarded with what I needed to do so that he could get it to connect to the app and yada yada yada. Basically it comes down to my security setup in  the house when it comes to new devices being connected to the wlan. Basically a new device is allowed to connect but does not get any access until I manually change its profile in the router. This is my way of dealing with the not willing to manually type a MAC address into the router configuration and also not wanting anyone to willy-nilly have access to the family network. So I looked into the router but no new device was present, and the eldest couldn't seem to get it to connect correctly. They have some convoluted way of connecting the device, which requires you to connect to a ad-hoc from the air cleaner so it can build the connection. Why couldn't they just implement a push-button WPS? Anyway eldest was going on that I needed to split the SSID for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks (our router doesn't allow that) or we'll never get it connected and yada yada yada. At this point I'd had enough, I just wanted to go out for a walk (the weather was nice today) and kind of disconnect after work. So I told the kid that we would get it connected after I get back from my walk. So the wife and I took a walk, had some ice cream, bought some bread (we were almost out) walked slowly home, talked to a few people we knew along the way. When we came home all the kids were upstairs and being quiet, so while my wife prepared dinner, I went into the living room and followed the instructions exactly as they were on the app for connecting the cleaner to the network.
1) Make sure app is connected to your home network (provide it a password)
2) Activate the ad-hoc on the cleaner
3) Allow app to connect to the ad-hoc
4) wait while it transfers the information about your home network to the air cleaner
5) it tries to find the air cleaner and it fails (because of my security)
6) opened the router config and changed the cleaner's profile (it was in the list this time) to allow it access
7) hit back on the app and boom there the app finds the air cleaner and I can work with it.

16yo was a little disappointed that I was able to get it setup without help Tongue

-- signature --

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #350 on: Yesterday at 08:53:18 pm »

Installing Java, then installing Eclipse, then downloading the project from SVN, and then setting everything up to run. It takes me about an hour. More annoying that troublesome really.

Ah yeah, not sure why I forgot Java, totally understandable then laugh1

The first few months of Lockdown last year was already driving me crazy. I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle that.
You're an only child right? I tend to attribute my ability to be alone and never bored with the fact that I spent a lot of my childhood alone.

Yikes! I'm much more limited in the games that I have.
heh, well not all are that great. I usually grab them on sale and have been collecting for over 10 years now.

BTW do you use Discord at all? Maybe sometime if we are both online at the same time we can have a call Grin
I'm not super familiar with it, I have it to [text] chat with one of my old gaming friends as well as a few chatrooms for games I play. I don't have a mic on my computer though.

Ha! So I regained my crown as tech king in the house Grin!
lol congrats yay that sounds pretty complicated for an air cleaner laugh1

got my 2nd shot 1 week ago today and today was the first day I felt pretty much back to normal... not sure if related to the shot or just weather/allergies (that I never had before so still figuring those out) but I've been waking up with terrible headaches and all day yesterday was super dizzy... Already starting to fill my calendar with shows to attend though! (starting this weekend even though i think im not technically safe till next weekend sofa will stay masked up).

..... .....

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: