December 01, 2020, 09:56:33 pm
News: If someone gives you crap then give them a Bad Star
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Jobs stopped working / database wont backup [ms sql 05] **Resolved**  (Read 4328 times)
simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« on: September 30, 2008, 02:59:25 pm »

Ok, lets start at the top.
Hurricane hits, server room goes away (but servers stay safe), servers get moved to a datacenter.
As far as the servers are concerned, every thing is the same, only the firewall changed, and not by much.

Now for the part I need help with:

I noticed jobs that I had scheduled stopped running... most were just ones that called stored procs at certain times. I recreated the jobs, and bam, all is well...

except the backups.

I recreated the maintenance plan from scratch and everything... they run, or say they do, as scheduled but they do not create any .bak or .trn files...

so, my questions are:
Why the hell did they stop working?
How can I get my backups working again, I don't want to back them up by hand every night  construction
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 02:03:20 pm by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 02:36:47 pm »

:cry:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 02:39:01 pm by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 12:32:44 am »

Sorry for not being able to reply earlier Simmo. I have never seen this behaviour before as moving machines just doesn't stop them doing it.

Kinda stupid question but, is there enough disk space left for backup? Is the backup trying to save file by using the machine name or ip address? Could anyone of those be changed?

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 02:20:55 pm »

No such thing as a stupid question smile

There is enough space, and I'm backing up manually now.

Its saving to itself, by name, and the ip didn't change.

..... .....

simmo
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 02:02:57 pm »

all fixed yes

I still don't know what happened in the first place, but I was just going to delete them all and start over. I started getting errors that it couldn't delete and after tracking that down it seems there were some records in the system tables msdb.dbo.sysdbmaintplan_jobs & msdb.dbo.sysdtspackages90 (there was another in there somewhere) that were referencing objects that didn't exist anymore and it was bombing out.
After deleting those records, deleting the existing maint plans and rebuilding them, all ran fine. (There is a slight issue with modifying existing ones, and MS has a long process to work around it, but its faster to just delete them and start over (flushing the bad records if necessary)).

happydance

..... .....

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 12:45:41 am »

Ahh glad that u got that sorted out. Kinda siomethin I would have never thought to look but then again I never came across a problem like that...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: