July 30, 2021, 02:15:17 am
News: If your question is answered please put [RESOLVED] in the subject of the initial message.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Lost Topic Title  (Read 9030 times)
007shahid
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« on: December 25, 2006, 12:34:39 am »

Basically, this is a mix of all good features of different civilization raising game, that also have war in it. I appreciate your comments and suggestions to make it better.

Project Title: Conquerors

Project Description: A near real strategy based MMOG

Basic Gameplay:

1) Players start out on a very wide map; initial location is based on their time zones.
2) Players conquer fields; some fields are special fields increasing the resource generation rate.
3) Players have to continue to conquer land and achieve certain targets (any one) to win the game.
   i) A Population limit
   ii) Certain number of castles
   iii) Certain size of area

Detailed Features:

Population:

1) There will be a certain multiplier as the birth rate for increase in population.
2) A converse death rate (determined by crop usage, health buildings etc.. ) will lower the multiplier.
3) Immigrant population will depend on the standards set in the area... wages, aesthetics, etc... and availability of food.

Races:

Initially there will only be humans(beta version); later on other races will be added. The only difference will be the bonus/penalties in different areas.

Units:

I. Civilians:

1) Peasants and Miners, who work in resource production.
   2) Builders, who build and maintain buildings/roads.
   3) Administrative workers
   4) Merchants, who are involved in trading with allies and neutral people.

II. Troops:

1) Standard Archers, Infantry, Cavalry, Spearfighters. (Each has an attack/defense bonus/penalty against other troops)
   2) Messengers who relay in game messages from one player to the other.

Players form Companies based on their combination of troops. Both merchants and messengers can be intercepted.

Heroes:
For every castle and some gold, a player can train a Hero. This unit kills more units and dies a lot slower than the others.

Resource:
1) Depending on productivity/research and number of fields devoted to resources, this will rise higher.

Buildings:
1) Standard buildings such as barracks, stable, workshop, etc...
2) Buildings must be connected by roads.

Bonus:
1) Race determined.

Building and Researching:
Depending on the type and level of the structure a building/resource field may take anywhere from few minutes to many hours to build. This will also depend on the number of builders in the village. But many buildings can be built at the same time

The all important "Conquering":

Saturdays and Sundays will be Truce days... no attacks.

Since people will be placed on a map depending on their time zones, one can expect other players close by to be online.

The Process:

I. TYPE I - 99% real time fighting! (More difficult to code and complex to understand)

1) A player initiates an attack by moving one or more companies to a field.

2) If there are no opposing troops, the attacking troops station there without any problem. If the field was a neutral/unoccupied field, a player should station his troops in that field for one complete hour to occupy it. If the field belongs to some one else, the duration of stay is 4 hours. During the occupying process, the opponent or anyone else can move in and initiate an attack.

3) If there are troops any of the following is possible...
   A. There is a considerable amount of opposing troops and/or Defender chose not to 'Surrender' (in Profile Settings):
   1) An invitation to fight is sent to the defender, which (s)he must accept if online. If the defender refuses or does something unwanted, then morale of the troops fall by 50% and an automatic duel ensues.

2) If the defender is offline, the invitation is left open until the attacker withdraws. In the attack, the attacker can specify his preferred time of battle.

3a) If the defender comes online and accepts the invitation while the attacker is online, battle ensues.
   3b) If the defender comes online and the attacker is offline, then the attacker must choose to battle at the preferred time mentioned by the attacker or suggest a    suitable time, in between the range of the preferred time. Else, automatic duel ensues.

B. There are very few opposing troops and defender chose to 'Surrender' (in Profile Settings):
   The opposing troops fall back, depending on the settings (Closer to other troops, or closer to Castle). If there are no fields to move into, the defender will be forced to fight an automatic duel.

In automatic duels, troops will have bonus depending on the owner players past war experience.

To enforce real time battles, a player must battle in real time mode 5 times for every 5 automatic battles.

A real time battle will basically be a flash based interface where players can click on different units to make it attack and move places.

I. TYPE II - AI enabled fighting! (Simpler to code and understand, but not real time fighting)

Players set artificial intelligence strategies for their companies. In a battle, these pre-specified strategies are implemented to determine outcome. Possible problem: Everyone may have a similar strategy. Have to think of something to bring out more uniqueness.

Possible strategy settings.
1) Troop formation - Standard, winged, flanked, etc...
2) Style - Offensive, defensive, hit and run, all out, etc...
3) Settings to determine when to retreat, when to go all out, etc...

simmo
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 04:33:43 pm »

sounds pretty interesting. I'd be willing to give it ago (as time allows). The only thing I wasn't to keen on was the truce days... some people may only get to play on weekends.

..... .....

007shahid
Monster Poster

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 04:48:37 pm »

Updates: I am doing away with the real time fighting idea... too much work and may not be liked.

I have already designed a random map generator for the game. Different fields will be on different terrains.. forests, mountains, rivers, etc... depending on the field, you will get a bonus in a particular resource, or may not get it at all.

In addition, different races will have different movement speeds on different terrains.

Hence markets will have to be built to sell goods and traders will have to travel to and fro other villages to trade goods. These merchants can be intercepted by armies, but depending on certain logic, merchants will be able to escape.

There will only be 1 type of attack... the conquer attack, after which the conqueror is given the option to occupy the village or raze it to the ground. He can also sell the wealth in the village for money.

There will be R&D buildings to bore wells, make terrain fertile to plant more crops, etc...

When companies move out of the village, they need to carry a stock of food. This reduces with time, but can be replenished in captured fields outside the village. If they run out of food, morale decreases by 50%. If they run out of food for 3 days, they die.

So the aim is to have a proper near realistic game. Where the economy does matter, and you cannot attack as you please.

007shahid
Monster Poster

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 04:49:35 pm »

...oh and about the weekend truce, that's because I wanted people to enjoy their weekend and not play too much. But without no real time battle, I think this can be done away with.

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Stars: +3/-0

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 09:18:49 pm »

Sounds pretty cool Shahid

Which language you are developing in?

Martin Wallace
Founders

Stars: +1/-0

God is dead, I have surpassed him.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 12:52:19 am »

Travian really is quite flawed on many levels

I even contemplated an alternative - but my ideas are far too complex to implement.

Every time god kills an angel, I masturbate.

007shahid
Monster Poster

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 02:08:20 am »

Quote from: wrack
Sounds pretty cool Shahid

Which language you are developing in?

PHP... and my backend will be MySQL.

Quote from: Martin Wallace

I even contemplated an alternative - but my ideas are far too complex to implement.

Actually, overall I find Travian to be better than the MMOG I played earlier... www.warofempires.com (This game is continuously updated every age. Each age/game ends in 2-4 months)

But my MMOG idea is basically taking the good points of all the different war based games (including 'North & South' {NES}), and also adding to that some additional ideas I think of or are suggested to me.

I am not sure if I will complete it either... but it will help kill time in the winter.

Slowhand
Supporters

Awards:
Topic Necromancer

I code C#!

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 08:01:27 am »

Quote from: Martin Wallace

I had some ideas to improve Travian as well. Even contemplated on making my own one. Now that might not be necesarry anymore

Sounds cool Shahid! If you need any help I'm willing to participate. I might also be able to arrange hosting.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 08:03:36 am by Slowhand » Logged

007shahid
Monster Poster

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 04:02:18 pm »

Thanks CJ, I would definitely need all the help I can get...

Right now, the following list comes to mind...
1. Ideas from other people - Time: As long as they keep coming
2. Graphics designer - Time: Once the beta is working, I wouldn't want the time spent to go waste
3. Beta testers and game logic suggestions - I am done with forests and mountains and they look pretty realistic enough. Still trying to figure out water.

Do you guys think I should have many lakes (easier to code) or do you think I should have a few big rivers?

Slowhand
Supporters

Awards:
Topic Necromancer

I code C#!

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 08:56:37 am »

Quote from: 007shahid
Thanks CJ, I would definitely need all the help I can get...

Right now, the following list comes to mind...
1. Ideas from other people - Time: As long as they keep coming
2. Graphics designer - Time: Once the beta is working, I wouldn't want the time spent to go waste
3. Beta testers and game logic suggestions - I am done with forests and mountains and they look pretty realistic enough. Still trying to figure out water.
Do you guys think I should have many lakes (easier to code) or do you think I should have a few big rivers?

I'm willing to help with no. 1 and 3. Not much of a graphics person.

Will the lakes have any function? (Do they contain fish or something?) Or can the rivers be crossed?

007shahid
Monster Poster

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 04:39:49 pm »

I have decided to go with a few big rivers and have more lakes to fill up some space.

CJ, I never really thought of having fishes in the water, but that's another good idea.. thanks. Armies and civilians can fish for food.

My original intent with water was sustainance. Water is the essential element of life. Hence villages will need water access for its civillians. The more the available water, the more people will want to come in the village. If there is water shortage people may want to emigrate.

In addition to food armies will also need water supply to maintain morale. Did you guys see 'Kingdom of Heaven'? When the Jerusalem army goes out to war with Saladin, they neglect water, are very thirsty and are slaughtered later on. But Saladin takes a longer time to reach and battle Jerusalem. Because he makes stops at different water source points. This is logically and really true in real life as well.

Water will also have other uses. Every field will have a certain minimum number of resource generation capabilities. But the amount of water close to the field will have more crop generation capabilities as well as more deposits of clay.

Finally for armies moving from one place to another, water will be the second most difficult to move on, but you can move up or down an entire river, presumably by a boat. I'll have a small wait time before you can move more than 5 fields on water. If an opponents fort is in between dense forests and mountains, then land may be a very slow path. If there is a river close to the fort, then one can easily go up the river, much faster.

On a last note, there will be water carriers who can carry waters from the nearby water source to the village.

007shahid
Monster Poster

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 04:46:17 pm »

Coming to think of it, another way this game will be more realistic is... most MMOG games out there have armies of an equal or greater size as their civillians. However, this is rarely true! Most countries have armies of hardly 5% of their total population size. Remember NS... there was a thread on the art of war in that website... one of the best threads on the topic in my opinion... and the game was totally economy based.

Slowhand
Supporters

Awards:
Topic Necromancer

I code C#!

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 10:16:36 am »

Cool!
Perhaps we could make this thread sticky.

If neccesary I could setup a forum on my website for game development discussions.
(Or perhaps Martin could create one here for us..  )
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 10:16:47 am by Slowhand » Logged

007shahid
Monster Poster

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 12:46:59 am »

Kinda bad news... Due to some reasons, I need to use Java in my project as well, and I can't use it in the current game. So, I have to put it on hold.

..but the good news is that, I am going ahead with the real time battle game... i.e. The game will involve only fighting, there will not be civilizations and economy. Only pure strategy on the battle field and in the barracks/stables. This will be a lot simpler to play and code.

New Game:

Every player starts with some resources He can form companies of whatever size he wants, with how many ever units of each type.
Military buildings will already be present and he can train every aspect of the skills of the different troops., namely Archers, Infantry and Cavalry.
Depending on the number and skills of the different troops he will win in a battle fought real time... i.e... you'll have to move the different troops on the battle field and attack accordingly.

In the end, you gain money and experience with which you can train more troops or improve existing ones.

I am currently updating my Java knowledge from the tutorials on Sun's website. Will start the project soon.

Slowhand
Supporters

Awards:
Topic Necromancer

I code C#!

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 10:41:44 am »

No civilisations or economie?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: