July 29, 2021, 11:50:02 pm
News: IF YOU ARE A MEMBER FROM THE ORIGINAL SITE AND CAN'T LOGIN. POST IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM (AS GUEST) AND AN ADMIN WILL ASSIST YOU TO ACCESS THE SITE!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Lost Topic Title  (Read 4834 times)
Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« on: December 16, 2006, 08:39:28 pm »

I just recently installed a WLAN NIC into my wife's computer.

Before installation her computer showed the XP default list of users that you could click on. If a password was required then it would open the box below it.

Now after the installation it has a standard login box.

The problem is that my wife isn't the most computer literate person and it would be easier for her to just click on her name rather than having to remember to enter her name in the text box (don't make me explain this please).

Could someone tell me how to turn on the default user list again? (If you can do it in German would even be better.)

-- signature --

007shahid
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 06:07:14 am »

Open control panel... user accounts.

click on the link that says, 'change th way users log on / off'

make sure the 'use the welcome screen' option is checked

007shahid
Monster Poster

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 06:08:28 am »

umm.. not sure, but what you installed may stop working... at least make sure that the 'fast user switching' is disabled

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 09:19:16 am »

I've figured out the problem.

Apparently when you install the NetGear drivers it installs a file called mrvGINA.dll. This dll disables the fast user switching. Aparently you are suppose to remove a certain Registry Key to stop this from happening but the registry key doesn't exist on my wife's computer.

I'm going to register with Netgear service and blast them full of holes for not getting this poop fixed. I'm so pissed! I've used Netgear in the past and they worked fine I can't believe that they released this crap!

-- signature --

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Stars: +3/-0

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 09:59:42 pm »

This is really weird since I have been using Netgear products since 1999 and haven't had a problem like this. Mind you I have never installed a Wireless NIC though

CornedBee
Ancient Poster

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 10:38:01 pm »

What, exactly, would be the reason for a WNIC to have problems with user switching? How could it have any more problems than any other type of NIC?

All the buzzt
CornedBee

"Writing specifications is like writing a novel. Writing code is like writing poetry."
- Anonymous, published by Raymond

"This is how Liberty dies - with thunderous applause."
Senator Padmé Amidala - Revenge of the Sith

amitabh
Old Timer

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 07:31:30 pm »

This is pretty strange! They should not be changing the default GINA just for implementing their wireless drivers. (GINA is the component in Windows which actually initiates and performs the front end part of logon/authentication using winlogon. )

Are you sure that "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current Version/WINLOGON/GinaDll" registry key does not exists on your affected machine. Also, try searching for MSGINA.dll on your machine and either replace the  existing value of the above key, if present, to MSGINA.dll, or rename the existing mrvGina.dll to something else, and then copy MSGINA.dll as mrvGina.dll .

amitabh
Old Timer

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 07:32:12 pm »

Oh and I assume that you have already seen these two links:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: