December 16, 2017, 05:38:22 PM
News: IF YOU ARE A MEMBER FROM THE ORIGINAL SITE AND CAN'T LOGIN. POST IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM (AS GUEST) AND AN ADMIN WILL ASSIST YOU TO ACCESS THE SITE!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 3910 times)
msimmons
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2017, 05:17:47 PM »

Glad to see you're still alive. It was so quiet here for so long.
laugh1 it wasn't even two weeks

Yeah I'm starting to notice that Wink We'll see how it goes. We'll probably order the parts in the next week or so. I'm on vacation for the next two weeks so I've got time to put it together.
I meant to link you to this site, if you don't already know about it, not sure if it applies to non-us:
https://pcpartpicker.com/

Didn't you just set that computer up for her not too long ago?
About 2 years ago, and it was a refurb. Still "too soon" for hard drive failure, but that can happen at any time (make sure you have backups of important data!)

The new Logitech MX Ergo https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mx-ergo-wireless-trackball-mouse . It's a nice device, fits well in my hand. It'll be better when we get the new computer because then I can run the Logitech drivers, and can program it for different things. It's a thumbball and is really comfortable. Rechargable with build in batteries is also nice. Just plug it into the USB. Still usable while charging too.
Ooooh, that looks nice! I actually stopped buying logitech products because they discontinued their only decent thumball, well actually the ONLY decent thumball period... i've since been forced to order Sanwa thumballs from aisa (and I can't get off the mailing list cos i cant read the emails...)

Not a bad Han Solo. Did you piece the outfit together yourself or did you buy it?
I bought it for about $100... (and $15 for the gun) then dropped another $40 on the boots because the "spats" that came with it looked goofy. I think I can make a better set of pants, and may replace the belt, but I haven't worn a costume since I was a kid so not sure if I'll actually bother.

My wife asked if your girl dressed up as Leia, and if so did she dress as Leia with the hair buns?
Yes & yes! My favorite Leia. I think they must have added fake hair to Carrie since the buns from last weekend were not quite as big. We intended to get a pic together but somehow managed to not...

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2017, 04:31:50 AM »

laugh1 it wasn't even two weeks

It seemed longer unsure

I meant to link you to this site, if you don't already know about it, not sure if it applies to non-us:
https://pcpartpicker.com/
That might give me some ideas. I'm probably going to go through a company here in Germany, that my nephew suggested.

About 2 years ago, and it was a refurb. Still "too soon" for hard drive failure, but that can happen at any time (make sure you have backups of important data!)

Once the new computer is built we're going to keep several external drives for backups, we'll leave one at my in-laws' safe and swap it out every year as well. Best to keep some things off site and off line Wink
Ooooh, that looks nice! I actually stopped buying logitech products because they discontinued their only decent thumball, well actually the ONLY decent thumball period... i've since been forced to order Sanwa thumballs from aisa (and I can't get off the mailing list cos i cant read the emails...)
This is the highest quality trackball I've ever owned. It's a solid piece of work, so it doesn't scoot around the desk much. The metal plate allows for setting an so it is comfortable. The one thing that they show that isn't really true is that you can set the angle to 20 degrees or 0 degrees nothing in-between.

In any case it's still a well designed device, that can be used with the universal dongle, or if you want simply with bluetooth. Absolutely worth the price.

I bought it for about $100... (and $15 for the gun) then dropped another $40 on the boots because the "spats" that came with it looked goofy. I think I can make a better set of pants, and may replace the belt, but I haven't worn a costume since I was a kid so not sure if I'll actually bother.

It looks pretty good. I did chuckle about your way of taking a picture. I personally wouldn't have trusted myself to stand on the wall of the bathtub. I'm such a Klutz.

Yes & yes! My favorite Leia. I think they must have added fake hair to Carrie since the buns from last weekend were not quite as big. We intended to get a pic together but somehow managed to not...

Awesome! Shame you didn't get pictures Grin. I can't say that New Hope Leia is my favorite, seeing Return of the Jedi came out right as I was entering puberty and started realizing that girls had bumps in strange places Wink

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2017, 10:36:21 AM »

It seemed longer unsure
heh yeah, I was like "how long have I been gone!?" laugh1

Once the new computer is built we're going to keep several external drives for backups, we'll leave one at my in-laws' safe and swap it out every year as well. Best to keep some things off site and off line Wink
That's one of the many things I like about the cloud. Not only can I randomly access things from any of my devices (or anyone elses) but my computer could totally die and I wouldn't lose much (I should move the things that cause me to say "much" though).

This is the highest quality trackball I've ever owned. It's a solid piece of work, so it doesn't scoot around the desk much. The metal plate allows for setting an so it is comfortable. The one thing that they show that isn't really true is that you can set the angle to 20 degrees or 0 degrees nothing in-between.
I wear these Sanwa ones out so I'll add that to my "wish list" to get as a replacement for the next one.

In any case it's still a well designed device, that can be used with the universal dongle, or if you want simply with bluetooth. Absolutely worth the price.
Not being wired is a bit of a con, but I guess since I don't play video games anymore... Logitech only had wireless on their last model, and the way my desk was set up, my phone would cause intermittent interference... so when my guild was needing a healer and my character was not responding to commands for random seconds... not cool Another Tounge

It looks pretty good. I did chuckle about your way of taking a picture. I personally wouldn't have trusted myself to stand on the wall of the bathtub. I'm such a Klutz.
heh, since I don't have a full length mirror my options are that or standing on the counter if I want waist down (I have stood on the counter to show off that I still fit (kindof) into my old punk rock pants.)

Awesome! Shame you didn't get pictures Grin.
Yeah, we were thinking pictures would be taken at the party, then when we opted not to go we were going to stay in costume at the house, but we decided to eat and I was like "girl, you're gonna get food on that white." and it wasn't till after we changed into PJs that I realized we didn't get pics... maybe next year Another Tounge

I can't say that New Hope Leia is my favorite, seeing Return of the Jedi came out right as I was entering puberty and started realizing that girls had bumps in strange places Wink
I don't know, it was definitely exciting to see her in that state of undress (previous to that the best we had was from "under the rainbow"), I still think the white dress (and lack of anything under (chick didn't go that route Another Tounge )) was the hottest.

Speaking of Leia, I'm really not one to be bothered by the lives of celebrities but Carrie's passing affected me a lot more than I anticipated:
https://www.facebook.com/StarWars/videos/1482546135130316/

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2017, 01:49:14 PM »

Vacation is half way over Sad. At least I was able to order the new computer. Just waiting for it to ship now, should be here by next weekend. We did get a monitor and new keyboard for it. I love the new keyboard, it's a Logitech G810 with real switches! Not too loud but has a good feel.

We were on our way back from my wife's parents on Friday, when I got a message from the boss about needing some help even though I'm on vacation. Technically he can't require me to come in on my vacation, so I originally suggested I come by on Tuesday (tomorrow) morning since I have a doctors appointment near the office then. He wasn't really happy but that's what he would have had to deal with. Mostly I had made that decision so as not to annoy my wife. My wife actually suggested that we go ahead and swing by the office, and see if I can deal with the situation. While I was dealing with the issue, my wife took the boys to the local electronics shop and chose our new keyboard and monitor. I was actually happily surprised with her choices. They were all good, and affordable, and not just affordable Wink.

Tomorrow I go to the lung doctor, for a control and probably will get new inhalers, which I'm in need of. My biggest hope is that I can get the asthma back under control so that I could run, and bike again (I mean really bike not just the 2km to the train station). I'm probably going to need to ride my bike a lot next summer. Apparently they are going to be doing major construction on the train tracks for pretty much all of August and part of September. This means either I drive the car, or I ride the bike. My wife is already imagining me with monster strong legs Tongue

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2017, 04:38:09 PM »

Vacation is half way over Sad.
Well, if history is any indicator it will only be a few weeks till your next one begins laugh1

At least I was able to order the new computer. Just waiting for it to ship now, should be here by next weekend.
I bet the anticipation is mounting. I made a tech order this morning that will be here Wednesday and I'm already getting anxious...

We did get a monitor and new keyboard for it.
No specs on the monitor?

I love the new keyboard, it's a Logitech G810 with real switches! Not too loud but has a good feel.
Cool, I didn't realize they made any with real switches. I stopped using their keyboards because I like my number and f keys to line up (eg, f10 is touching the top of the 0 key) (although I guess it's not that important since I don't play video games anymore).

We were on our way back from my wife's parents on Friday, when I got a message from the boss about needing some help even though I'm on vacation. Technically he can't require me to come in on my vacation, so I originally suggested I come by on Tuesday (tomorrow) morning since I have a doctors appointment near the office then. He wasn't really happy but that's what he would have had to deal with. Mostly I had made that decision so as not to annoy my wife. My wife actually suggested that we go ahead and swing by the office, and see if I can deal with the situation.
Yeah, tough call since you're in the area of "does this earn brownie points or set a precedent?" territory too.

While I was dealing with the issue, my wife took the boys to the local electronics shop and chose our new keyboard and monitor. I was actually happily surprised with her choices. They were all good, and affordable, and not just affordable Wink.
heh yeah, I'm way too picky to let anyone make those decisions sofa I'm glad it worked out!

Tomorrow I go to the lung doctor, for a control and probably will get new inhalers, which I'm in need of. My biggest hope is that I can get the asthma back under control so that I could run, and bike again (I mean really bike not just the 2km to the train station).
Good luck!

I'm probably going to need to ride my bike a lot next summer. Apparently they are going to be doing major construction on the train tracks for pretty much all of August and part of September. This means either I drive the car, or I ride the bike. My wife is already imagining me with monster strong legs Tongue
heh, well hopefully the doctor will sort you out yes

So about the tech order I mentioned... I'm finally giving up on Windows Phone... I ordered a Pixel 2 yay I'm not sure how much of the "Microsoft Ecosystem" I'll stick with but one of the things I loved about my MSPhone was that I instantly had all my data across my 4 devices (home pc, work pc, phone, laptop (oh and htpc too)). From what I understand, MS has done more to function well on Android than they did on their own devices so it may be a no-brainer, but I'm also a fan of not trying to make something into what it is not. Microsoft already stopped playing well with their own apps (have to use the calendar app rather than the outlook calendar) so maybe the google alternatives will work better. I'll just have to try and see.

[edit]
One thing I fear is that now I have no excuse to do all the things I couldn't do... like the fancy toothbrush that monitors what area of your mouth you missed, or various video games...
[/edit]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:40:13 PM by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2017, 01:54:53 AM »

Well, if history is any indicator it will only be a few weeks till your next one begins laugh1

laugh1 yeah, I'll take vacation between Christmas and New Years Wink.

I bet the anticipation is mounting. I made a tech order this morning that will be here Wednesday and I'm already getting anxious...
Yep, I keep looking in my inbox to see if they have sent it out. I ordered it on Saturday evening, and paid for it on Sunday morning with a bank transfer. Since everything is closed on Sunday, the earliest they would process it was yesterday, but I didn't receive a notification. Not sure exactly when the bank transfer takes place when made on a Sunday. So I'm hoping to hear news either today or tomorrow. Not a big deal, once I get the parts I'll have all the time in the world to put it together Wink

No specs on the monitor?
Oops! Yeah it's a HP 24es. Standard 1920x1040 display. I told my wife that I need a 1920x1040 as a bare minimum so when I remote into my company computer, I can see the entire dashboard. HP is a decent brand name if anything. The price was good at 143 Euros, and it is an energy efficient model, which is also important.

Cool, I didn't realize they made any with real switches. I stopped using their keyboards because I like my number and f keys to line up (eg, f10 is touching the top of the 0 key) (although I guess it's not that important since I don't play video games anymore).
Neither did I but was happy to find one that wasn't crazy expensive. The F10 is not directly lined up with the 0 but with the = key.

Yeah, tough call since you're in the area of "does this earn brownie points or set a precedent?" territory too.

A little bit of both I think Wink

So about the tech order I mentioned... I'm finally giving up on Windows Phone... I ordered a Pixel 2 yay I'm not sure how much of the "Microsoft Ecosystem" I'll stick with but one of the things I loved about my MSPhone was that I instantly had all my data across my 4 devices (home pc, work pc, phone, laptop (oh and htpc too)). From what I understand, MS has done more to function well on Android than they did on their own devices so it may be a no-brainer, but I'm also a fan of not trying to make something into what it is not. Microsoft already stopped playing well with their own apps (have to use the calendar app rather than the outlook calendar) so maybe the google alternatives will work better. I'll just have to try and see.

[edit]
One thing I fear is that now I have no excuse to do all the things I couldn't do... like the fancy toothbrush that monitors what area of your mouth you missed, or various video games...
[/edit]

My wife is also getting rid of her Windows Phone. This is because her billing software, has an app that, with a chip card reader, reads the important information from someone's insurance card, encrypts it and allows it to synchronize with her software on the computer. Now the fun part is my wife is notorious for not charging her phone, to which she says that Windows phones and Androids have the same functionality when they are not charged.

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2017, 02:41:19 PM »

laugh1 yeah, I'll take vacation between Christmas and New Years Wink.
rofl_yello I was just kidding... kind of. Speaking of, we have a fairly relaxed environment here and I usually feel guilty taking days off. I rarely take "vacations" (my Vegas trip last year, my Maine trip in 2012(?) was probably the only ones in the past 15 years), but rather a day here & a day there... but I haven't kept track. I asked the person that should be keeping track and was only told not to worry about it... In fact, I couldn't get any answers on if it was calendar date, or starting date (they did say how many days per year based on how many years worked (sometimes I forget that I've only been here two, since july 2015 when I moved back, not sometime 2012 when I started contracting, or 2013 when they fired the other inhouse but I was still contract (or not 2001 when I initially started laugh1 ). I would kind of like to know cos maybe I'm not taking as much as I should (but maybe I take way more so they're trying to ease my guilt).

Yep, I keep looking in my inbox to see if they have sent it out. I ordered it on Saturday evening, and paid for it on Sunday morning with a bank transfer. Since everything is closed on Sunday, the earliest they would process it was yesterday, but I didn't receive a notification. Not sure exactly when the bank transfer takes place when made on a Sunday. So I'm hoping to hear news either today or tomorrow. Not a big deal, once I get the parts I'll have all the time in the world to put it together Wink
Sounds like me & my phone Another Tounge (It arrived in Houston about an hour ago, so I should get it tomorrow yay )

Oops! Yeah it's a HP 24es. Standard 1920x1040 display. I told my wife that I need a 1920x1040 as a bare minimum so when I remote into my company computer, I can see the entire dashboard. HP is a decent brand name if anything. The price was good at 143 Euros, and it is an energy efficient model, which is also important.
That sounds a little high, but I only look at deals on Amazon so my numbers could be biased.

Neither did I but was happy to find one that wasn't crazy expensive. The F10 is not directly lined up with the 0 but with the = key.
Yeah, 99.9% of keyboards have their f keys in little groups of 4, but in many MMO video games you have your "abilities" mapped to your keys in two rows and I like my physical keys to mirror them.

My wife is also getting rid of her Windows Phone. This is because her billing software, has an app that, with a chip card reader, reads the important information from someone's insurance card, encrypts it and allows it to synchronize with her software on the computer. Now the fun part is my wife is notorious for not charging her phone, to which she says that Windows phones and Androids have the same functionality when they are not charged.
heh, well with the android it may not need charging as often... I'm looking forward to seeing if I can stop carrying my battery pack with me when I go out (even when I start the night at full charge).

..... .....

Bonker Gudd
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2017, 07:54:28 PM »

Who wants Ubertoastie?

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2017, 01:43:19 PM »

Who wants Ubertoastie?

Hi Bonker hiya

Well after a couple of false starts I'm finally getting the computer together. Last big part is getting the video card to work. If I physically install it I get no screen from it or the integrated video on the mobo. If I leave it off then I at least get the screen over the VGA cable on the mobo dunno

Will try to install the drivers first and then install the thing. Maybe that will correct my problem :sigh:

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »

Who wants Ubertoastie?
Grilled cheese delivered to my front door? yes please! :yum:

Well after a couple of false starts I'm finally getting the computer together. Last big part is getting the video card to work. If I physically install it I get no screen from it or the integrated video on the mobo. If I leave it off then I at least get the screen over the VGA cable on the mobo dunno

Will try to install the drivers first and then install the thing. Maybe that will correct my problem :sigh:
Check the bios, you might have to disable the onoboard although it sounds like it's being auto disabled. I did have one mobo back in 2006 that didn't work with nvidia, only amd. What outputs does the vid card have? maybe its a case of the monitor not playing well with that signal.

edit:
totally forgot to say that i activated my android phone today... going to take some getting used to for sure...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 02:34:03 PM by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2017, 08:27:45 AM »

Check the bios, you might have to disable the onoboard although it sounds like it's being auto disabled. I did have one mobo back in 2006 that didn't work with nvidia, only amd. What outputs does the vid card have? maybe its a case of the monitor not playing well with that signal.

I got it working. Not sure what I did because it wouldn't let me install drivers unless it was installed. I did notice that Windows updated some NVIDIA stuff, and after that I re-installed it and plugged in the HDMI cable, started it up and boom it's working (I'm using it right now to answer this post).

It's going to take a little time to get used to having such a big screen at home. Looking forward to seeing how Minecraft looks on this screen smile.

edit:
totally forgot to say that i activated my android phone today... going to take some getting used to for sure...

Well yeah, when you're used to a specific user interface and now have a new one that always takes time. I'm wondering how long it will take my wife to get used to hers when she gets it.

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2017, 12:28:09 PM »

I got it working. Not sure what I did because it wouldn't let me install drivers unless it was installed. I did notice that Windows updated some NVIDIA stuff, and after that I re-installed it and plugged in the HDMI cable, started it up and boom it's working (I'm using it right now to answer this post).
heh, sometimes windows just needs some time to work its magic. I forget what the deal was but I had a similar instance with my mom when I first set up her computer... something about the profiles or something... I gave up and told her I would return another day to fix it and... it fixed itself laugh1

It's going to take a little time to get used to having such a big screen at home. Looking forward to seeing how Minecraft looks on this screen smile.
Not a bad problem to have jamie

Well yeah, when you're used to a specific user interface and now have a new one that always takes time.
Especially when that interface was FAR superior... I'm really having a hard time and to be honest I'm starting to think I can just live without the apps/features... (Which sucks cos Uber is really nice on the new phone... ) I have a few more days to send this back (I doubt I will though).

I'm wondering how long it will take my wife to get used to hers when she gets it.
I hope she has a better time than I do. I mostly used my phone for texting and it was so nice compared to this... I could hit the "mic" and just talk, hardly needed any edits... with this, I need a duckton of edits AND editing is damnduckingnear impossible... :rant:

..... .....

Bonker Gudd
Monster Poster

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2017, 07:53:40 PM »

Merry Easter mf_popeanim

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2017, 03:29:38 PM »

Some days it feels like the year will never end, and then sometimes it feels like it's all going too fast.

My last vacation for this year is scheduled, basically I won't work between Christmas and New Years, since nothing is going on during this time. Grin

The new computer is great. Do have one small issue with the trackball though, the Logitech drivers don't allow you to set the amount of the wheel scrolls very accurately. So when I'm on a map and move it one click to zoom in a little, I get like 4x zoom, but if I make the changes to the Windows Mouse configurations so that only one line is changed by the scroll wheel, then I might as well not have scroll wheel. That's rather annoying.

I'll be happy if Microsoft ever makes the updates in smaller batches. These giant updates, take forever to download and install. They also tend to suck up so much bandwidth, it makes our internet pretty much unsuable until the download is complete. Otherwise it causes so many errors in the update, that the download has to start from the beginning again. That's rather annoying.

I'm currently configuring the laptop for my wife's colleague. She bought a new laptop and asked if I could do all the data transfer, and setup. Normally I don't mind doing that but with these Windows 10 updates it takes forever :blah:

Work has been keeping me pretty busy, but I'm still struggling to get my head around the SAP programming, and in doing it correctly. I can get simple results, but when it is something more challenging then I take too long. I need to improve a lot.

Yesterday we booked our vacation house for next spring. You have to book early or all the good spots are taken Wink. We're going to France this time, close to the Normandy coast. It's not the first time I've visited a country and not be able to speak the language. We'll just have to see how that works out for us unsure

Wow can't believe it's been 2 weeks since the last posting Grin

Hope everyone is doing ok.

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2017, 11:47:14 AM »

Some days it feels like the year will never end, and then sometimes it feels like it's all going too fast.
I really hate this time of year due to gift giving (and feeling that there is an imbalance between my siblings and I)... We can do the whole "thank you for the gift card, here is a gift card" which just feels silly (although when I receive a gift card I do make sure to 1. spend it on a something I might not otherwise buy for myself and 2. let the gifter know what they got me. Being that my siblings don't do the same, I don't have any feed back that they actually liked the gift. I'd like to get them actual gifts, but we all buy the things we want, for ourselves, when we want them Another Tounge (and I don't really know them well enough to know what to get or what they have). I'd like to say "can we just not do gifts this year?" but don't want to sound like a cheapskate or jerk sofa

My last vacation for this year is scheduled, basically I won't work between Christmas and New Years, since nothing is going on during this time. Grin
doing anything or just relaxing?

The new computer is great. Do have one small issue with the trackball though, the Logitech drivers don't allow you to set the amount of the wheel scrolls very accurately. So when I'm on a map and move it one click to zoom in a little, I get like 4x zoom, but if I make the changes to the Windows Mouse configurations so that only one line is changed by the scroll wheel, then I might as well not have scroll wheel. That's rather annoying.
Sounds annoying. Looks like my Sanwa does 6 lines, I've never tried to modify it though.

I'll be happy if Microsoft ever makes the updates in smaller batches. These giant updates, take forever to download and install. They also tend to suck up so much bandwidth, it makes our internet pretty much unsuable until the download is complete. Otherwise it causes so many errors in the update, that the download has to start from the beginning again. That's rather annoying.
Reading that makes me feel pretty fortunate that I don't have to worry about bandwidth.

Work has been keeping me pretty busy, but I'm still struggling to get my head around the SAP programming, and in doing it correctly. I can get simple results, but when it is something more challenging then I take too long. I need to improve a lot.
Hopefully it will come naturally in time, with practice yes

Yesterday we booked our vacation house for next spring. You have to book early or all the good spots are taken Wink. We're going to France this time, close to the Normandy coast. It's not the first time I've visited a country and not be able to speak the language. We'll just have to see how that works out for us unsure
What about when you first came to Germany?

Wow can't believe it's been 2 weeks since the last posting Grin

Hope everyone is doing ok.
And a rough two weeks it has been sweat I have gotten more used to my phone at least Another Tounge

So... I have a script that deletes a certain chunk of client's data that I use on the rare occasion it gets corrupted (typically when our system is fed via an api). Well, this new client was hammering our system and the sql locks were resulting in corrupt data. I didn't want to wipe the entire profile, only about 10% though, so I looked up the id I needed then modified my script... and wiped the whole.ducking.table...

1pm: I didn't realize my mistake till another client called in... at which point I scrambled to set up a second database to restore a backup. I didn't want to do a full restore over top of our existing data as we would lose teh data that came into other tables. The next issue was that I simply didn't have room to create a second database... So I contacted our host (my hope was they could "loan" us a server) and they suggested we pop on a 2tb external drive (I didn't know they made them that large).
5pm: The restore finally got started, I stayed at the office, getting 30-60 minute updates "5%" "10%" till I decided there really wasn't anything I could do, so I went home and ate around 9pm.
10pm: I calculated that it should be done at roughly 2-5am, and that I should try to sleep... but that wasn't easy to do. I was receiving half hourly updates
2am: (as expected) I received a "we're at 92%, I'll update you shortly" but then I didn't hear back for over an hour... so my mind started telling me all kinds of things went wrong... so I called them at about 3-4am. It turns out that when a restore hits 100%, it does some stuff, and in the case of my database, this step can take an hour...
4am: don't try to open the error log file, on the server, if it's huge... the tech crashed sql server and when it came up it was no longer in "restore" mode, but when we tried to bring it online... it said that the restore was interrupted... I have to assume due to that crash... so let's start the process over again...
7-8am: I went to teh office as usual, not sure if I would even have a job (of course they aren't going to fire the one guy that can restore the data before he restores it) after I get all the data back... I knew it would be at least noon before the current restore would be ready, so I tried to rebuild some of our more important (read: complainers) clients data from various log tables... unfortunately that wasn't possible because i needed some database id's that were only logged if the client did an update.
1pm: restore is at 100%, now for the unknown amount of time till it goes from 100% to complete (turns out there is a flag that could have been set that would give a % on this step, but the tech didn't set it and/or was unaware of it)
2pm: restore is back up and 10 minutes later I have imported the table I wiped. I checked the logs and there was no new data inserted, so we were totally back online and all good!

(pretty sure my job is safe, later that day, or the next, we had a meeting regarding future projects sofa )

..... .....

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print

Jump to: