December 16, 2017, 05:30:50 PM
News: If someone gives you crap then give them a Bad Star
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 3903 times)
Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2017, 03:49:44 PM »

Exactly. Some years ago Slaine wanted to give it up and Simmo and I rescued it. Sadly we really haven't done much with the site since then but we do enjoy popping in and chatting here in the Post Race Grin

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »

Time in the country is always nice. Regardless how long it is it is never long enough. Gives me a chance to unplug and recharge.
heh well after the third week in a row I'm kind of missing going out drinking with the boys Another Tounge (although I just got a text asking if I want to go again next weekend and I'm probably going to do it laugh1 )

Hello...this place still here?  sofa
Well howdy stranger welcome

Exactly. Some years ago Slaine wanted to give it up and Simmo and I rescued it.
yes I kind of want to go back and get dates to do a timeline now. I know the inception date was 2002 or 3 but I can't remember when things changed from DF/Jethro > Slaine > JR/Simmo

Sadly we really haven't done much with the site since then but we do enjoy popping in and chatting here in the Post Race Grin
It kind of feels like the internet has changed in a way that rendered sites like this obsolete, but that may just be my perception.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2017, 12:04:12 AM »

heh well after the third week in a row I'm kind of missing going out drinking with the boys Another Tounge (although I just got a text asking if I want to go again next weekend and I'm probably going to do it laugh1 )
You can have too much of a good thing Wink.

yes I kind of want to go back and get dates to do a timeline now. I know the inception date was 2002 or 3 but I can't remember when things changed from DF/Jethro > Slaine > JR/Simmo
I'm not too sure myself really. The theme below says 2009, and I think this is the second theme I've put on this so maybe around 2007/2008 I want to say is when we took it over from Slaine.

It kind of feels like the internet has changed in a way that rendered sites like this obsolete, but that may just be my perception.
Yeah well StackOverflow launched in 2008 and it kind of killed your standard forums because the ability to slide off topic is better controlled.

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »

I'm not too sure myself really. The theme below says 2009, and I think this is the second theme I've put on this so maybe around 2007/2008 I want to say is when we took it over from Slaine.
November 27, 2006 - there is a post where I offer my server space, slaine mentions hesitation regarding sensitive data (and you suggest scripting a scrub).
November 21, 2007 - domain name GALAHTECH.ORG transferred to me.

Yeah well StackOverflow launched in 2008 and it kind of killed your standard forums because the ability to slide off topic is better controlled.
heh yeah, I was going to mention SO as the "tech forum killer" and reddit as the "time waster" but nothing really replaced the community aspect I don't think.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »

So it looks like I'm going on a business trip at the end of November. Not a big deal just a couple of days for an SAP seminar.

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2017, 03:25:33 PM »

So it looks like I'm going on a business trip at the end of November. Not a big deal just a couple of days for an SAP seminar.
heh, hopefully it's more fun than the trips your last job always sent you on.

Our next door neighbor (at the office) just got mugged, right in front of his place of business (next door) in broad daylight (like 10am) :shock:

Apparently he just returned from the bank, carrying a briefcase... he pulled in and parked, and as he was walking from his vehicle to the door of his shop a blacked out SUV stopped and the passenger jumped out. I think they hit him in the back of the head, took the briefcase, and jumped back in the SUV...

Always be aware of your surroundings when you get to your destination!

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2017, 03:31:52 PM »

heh, hopefully it's more fun than the trips your last job always sent you on.
Well it is a seminar so I'm not really working, just listening so that'll be different.

Our next door neighbor (at the office) just got mugged, right in front of his place of business (next door) in broad daylight (like 10am) :shock:

Apparently he just returned from the bank, carrying a briefcase... he pulled in and parked, and as he was walking from his vehicle to the door of his shop a blacked out SUV stopped and the passenger jumped out. I think they hit him in the back of the head, took the briefcase, and jumped back in the SUV...

Always be aware of your surroundings when you get to your destination!
They'd been watching him for a while to know how to get him I bet. Paying attention to ones surroundings is really important. I have a colleague that sometimes rides the same train as I do. Normally she is walking behind me on the way to the office, and I'll notice that someone is behind me and turn to look. She thinks it is hilarious that I notice things like that. It's mostly from my time as a soldier I think. Grin

Next Saturday we're going to go to Munich for the Long Night of Museums which allows you to visit pretty much every museum in the city for 15 bucks and runs all night. The boys are looking forward to going.

I may have talked my wife into letting me get a new laptop. Nothing firm yet, it might have to wait for my birthday but it's a start Grin

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2017, 04:07:57 PM »

Well it is a seminar so I'm not really working, just listening so that'll be different.
Hopefully at a nice hotel too!

They'd been watching him for a while to know how to get him I bet.
Yeah that was a thought as well, but in this city its more likely that he was somewhat randomly selected, making a withdraw at the wrong time.

Paying attention to ones surroundings is really important. I have a colleague that sometimes rides the same train as I do. Normally she is walking behind me on the way to the office, and I'll notice that someone is behind me and turn to look. She thinks it is hilarious that I notice things like that. It's mostly from my time as a soldier I think. Grin
I grew up in a pretty paranoid environment... I was taught that everyone was out to get me so I'm always paying attn, especially when going home since a popular method is to catch people as they are getting out of their car. I'll make a block if I think the car behind me has made too many coincidental "tailing" moves laugh1

Next Saturday we're going to go to Munich for the Long Night of Museums which allows you to visit pretty much every museum in the city for 15 bucks and runs all night. The boys are looking forward to going.
Awesome! Sounds fun and I bet the idea of staying out late is just as exciting for the boys. (And probably not exciting for you & the wife Another Tounge )

I may have talked my wife into letting me get a new laptop. Nothing firm yet, it might have to wait for my birthday but it's a start Grin
Have one picked out or haven't gotten that far yet?

I recently got a new toy (ironically because I was trimming fat from my budget), an Amazon Dot. I decided to shut off my cable television because I don't actually watch it... I typically turn it on when I get home from work just to have background noise but the other day football came on so I just muted it so that was pointless. That, combined with "when I want to watch something, there is never anything on," prompted me to save the $40 a month when I can watch things via amazon (I pay for prime regardless), hulu ($9 mo), and youtube. So to make watching those easier, I decided to get a "fire stick" and they had a bundle that for $20 you can get a dot. 

So far it's very useful while watching tv, "alexa, lets watch x-files" "alexa, pause" "alexa, play" or timing my exercise reps/rest "alexa, set an alarm for 1 minute" but is also neat for the "[song playing in show on tv] I like this song" "alexa, who plays the song that goes like [blah blah]."

..... .....

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2017, 06:49:47 PM »

Gentlemen sofa

Howdy? Been a while. Hope y'll are doing great along with your family members.

I have been busy with work, life and thing that I call work-life-balance where nothing is balanced type crash taz

At work we are going through restructuring and the change is frustrating to say the least.

On a bright-side, I am going to be a dad again soon (Mid-Late March). Prahi is 4 years old (my god time flies and I sound like an old man yikes) and ready to start her 4 year kinder in 2018 intake.

I am going back to the motherland for attending a wedding and hoping that it would be a nice break (but I doubt because it is a family wedding and thus busy).

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »

Hopefully at a nice hotel too!
Since the boss is coming with I'm sure he'll choose a nice enough place. Don't need much, clean bed, shower, Internet.

Awesome! Sounds fun and I bet the idea of staying out late is just as exciting for the boys. (And probably not exciting for you & the wife Another Tounge )
Sounds like it'll be fun. It's something that I've wanted to do for a while, they also have the Long Night of Music where you can go to different shows through out the city for a certain prices.

Have one picked out or haven't gotten that far yet?
Not really, do have some specifics I want. Intel i7, 16GB, SSD 128GB and HDD 1TB.

I recently got a new toy (ironically because I was trimming fat from my budget), an Amazon Dot. I decided to shut off my cable television because I don't actually watch it... I typically turn it on when I get home from work just to have background noise but the other day football came on so I just muted it so that was pointless. That, combined with "when I want to watch something, there is never anything on," prompted me to save the $40 a month when I can watch things via amazon (I pay for prime regardless), hulu ($9 mo), and youtube. So to make watching those easier, I decided to get a "fire stick" and they had a bundle that for $20 you can get a dot. 

So far it's very useful while watching tv, "alexa, lets watch x-files" "alexa, pause" "alexa, play" or timing my exercise reps/rest "alexa, set an alarm for 1 minute" but is also neat for the "[song playing in show on tv] I like this song" "alexa, who plays the song that goes like [blah blah]."
Personally I don't trust anything that listens in my house at all times.

Did you hear that these things actually can be targeted if you record commands and play them back at a higher than hearing frequency? When they process the sound data it slows it down to actually trigger laugh1

Gentlemen sofa

I have been busy with work, life and thing that I call work-life-balance where nothing is balanced type crash taz

At work we are going through restructuring and the change is frustrating to say the least.

On a bright-side, I am going to be a dad again soon (Mid-Late March). Prahi is 4 years old (my god time flies and I sound like an old man yikes) and ready to start her 4 year kinder in 2018 intake.

I am going back to the motherland for attending a wedding and hoping that it would be a nice break (but I doubt because it is a family wedding and thus busy).

Hey Wrack! Glad to hear that you haven't fallen off the face of the planet. Congratulations on the upcoming new baby. My eldest will be taller than me by the end of the year, I understand about time flying and feeling old smile.

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2017, 12:01:52 PM »

Gentlemen sofa

Howdy stranger! So far so good on my end.

I know the feeling... And I'm thinking of taking on a new project sofa (Should only take a few evenings I think.)

Restructuring the systems you use/build or like management/department restructuring?

Congrats! I hope Prahi takes to school well smile

Sounds fun! I'm still in awe of the pictures you shared with us of your wedding 7 years ago.

Sounds like it'll be fun. It's something that I've wanted to do for a while, they also have the Long Night of Music where you can go to different shows through out the city for a certain prices.
What genres?

Not really, do have some specifics I want. Intel i7, 16GB, SSD 128GB and HDD 1TB.
heh, yeah, that's pretty specific. Why going with a small SSD/Large HDD set up? SSD's are dropping in price where you can get a large one for HDD prices now (especially if you watch for deals). I do have my home PC set up like that, but I built it before 2015 (I think was 2012) and I think the SSD was pretty expensive.

Personally I don't trust anything that listens in my house at all times.

Did you hear that these things actually can be targeted if you record commands and play them back at a higher than hearing frequency? When they process the sound data it slows it down to actually trigger laugh1
lol big brother is watching you! I feel like I should be concerned, but I'm not. I guess if I was engaging in/discussing nefarious activities I could just unplug it (there is a mute button but if i don't trust it to listen, why would I trust that it actually mutes) laugh1 I did set it up where "she" can't order anything without my entering a PIN.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »

So BBC has reported that scientists believe they have found a reason for Dyslexia and that it might be treatable http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41666320

As a father of a child with dyslexia that's very interesting and I hope it turns out true.

My wife has asked if I mind if we get a desktop that we put in our bedroom that we both can share instead of me getting a new laptop. I told her as long as I get to decide its internals then no I have no problem. So we're now looking to see if it is going to be better to buy a prebuilt system or to build one ourselves (read myself Wink ). I've been trying to talk her into letting me get a keyboard with real switches, but she doesn't like the noise they make Sad.

Her Surface Pro 3 has died its last. The problem being that it refuses to power on any longer. When we checked about service, the support site said that it was out of warranty and that they would replace it with a comparable device for about 600 Euros. The problem is that my wife's surface has very private information stored on it, and having a device switched raises a privacy concerns that of course the Microsoft website does nothing to clarify this for us. Thankfully we've backed up this information, but we don't want it getting the chance of spreading around.

So our plan will be to get a new desktop computer that both of us will use. I can still use my laptop for somethings but the majority of the stuff I do will be over the new desktop. The next step is to see if it is going to be cheaper for us to buy a pre-built system or build one ourselves Grin. My requirements aren't too bad really. I'm want a Core-i7 7gen (4 cores) with 16GB RAM a HD monitor and graphics (1920 x 1080 minimum). I want a 128 to 256 gb SSD and a 1TB HDD setup.

Finally I got my trackball, and I love it! It is so nice.

So hope all is well for those who are reading Grin

-- signature --

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2017, 11:48:50 AM »

Simmo you still alive? unsure

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2017, 01:29:37 PM »

Simmo you still alive? unsure
laugh1 Just yesterday someone posted on facebook, "You ok? I went to 4 shows and didn't see you, that's uncharacteristic" (I think that was a matter of multiple shows happening and my going to different ones than the poster as well as skipping a couple "big" shows since they were on a worknight).

So BBC has reported that scientists believe they have found a reason for Dyslexia and that it might be treatable http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41666320

As a father of a child with dyslexia that's very interesting and I hope it turns out true.
Yes, that would be great! I've known a lot of people who suffer with it. The head of the Comp Sci department where I went to college had it, we only knew this because she would write on the board very strangely (she would purposely block what she was writing so she could proofread it before we were able to see).

My wife has asked if I mind if we get a desktop that we put in our bedroom that we both can share instead of me getting a new laptop. I told her as long as I get to decide its internals then no I have no problem. So we're now looking to see if it is going to be better to buy a prebuilt system or to build one ourselves (read myself Wink ).
DIY is always "better" in that you can pick and choose your specs, where to scrimp and where to splurge, rut unlike the 1990s, it's rarely (if ever) cheaper.

I've been trying to talk her into letting me get a keyboard with real switches, but she doesn't like the noise they make Sad.
heh, that's what I have here in the office. We used to have a large server, that I've since replaced with a smaller one... now I feel like everyone can hear when I'm "in the zone" (either coding or posting to GT laugh1 ). I think mine is the quieter of the switches too...

Her Surface Pro 3 has died its last. The problem being that it refuses to power on any longer. When we checked about service, the support site said that it was out of warranty and that they would replace it with a comparable device for about 600 Euros. The problem is that my wife's surface has very private information stored on it, and having a device switched raises a privacy concerns that of course the Microsoft website does nothing to clarify this for us. Thankfully we've backed up this information, but we don't want it getting the chance of spreading around.
Good on y'all for thinking of that! I see SO many people mishandling data it's infuriating... I go through hoops to keep credit card data that passes through our system safe, secure, and private, then I get CC'ed on an email where a client puts sensitive data...
Since you don't have to worry about the warranty, you can pull the drive, run DBAN on it, and replace it before shipping.

So our plan will be to get a new desktop computer that both of us will use. I can still use my laptop for somethings but the majority of the stuff I do will be over the new desktop. The next step is to see if it is going to be cheaper for us to buy a pre-built system or build one ourselves Grin. My requirements aren't too bad really. I'm want a Core-i7 7gen (4 cores) with 16GB RAM a HD monitor and graphics (1920 x 1080 minimum). I want a 128 to 256 gb SSD and a 1TB HDD setup.
My mom's pc is reporting "imminent hard drive failure" ... I went down there a week ago and tried to clone her drive to a 500SSD I had lying around (yeah, that's how I roll...) but for some reason it wouldn't copy... Not sure if it was the drive or my "drive to usb" tool, so I brought it back home and tried on my laptop... which worked... I'm going to go back down to attempt the SSD again (not sure why I think I'll have any different result...) and also take an HDD (that I tested working already) as well.

Finally I got my trackball, and I love it! It is so nice.
What did you get? I'm a thumballer, have been since 2006 or 7.

So hope all is well for those who are reading Grin
All is well here. Last weekend I was going to go to a costume party but we chickened out at the last minute (was literally in the driveway, yay social anxiety (not good when both halves of a couple have it sofa )) and just went back home to drink in front of the tv Another Tounge

link1
link2

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2017, 04:13:24 PM »

laugh1 Just yesterday someone posted on facebook, "You ok? I went to 4 shows and didn't see you, that's uncharacteristic" (I think that was a matter of multiple shows happening and my going to different ones than the poster as well as skipping a couple "big" shows since they were on a worknight).

Glad to see you're still alive. It was so quiet here for so long.

Yes, that would be great! I've known a lot of people who suffer with it. The head of the Comp Sci department where I went to college had it, we only knew this because she would write on the board very strangely (she would purposely block what she was writing so she could proofread it before we were able to see).

There's still a lot about that study that needs clarified. It's just nice to know that they are looking into this problem.

DIY is always "better" in that you can pick and choose your specs, where to scrimp and where to splurge, rut unlike the 1990s, it's rarely (if ever) cheaper.
Yeah I'm starting to notice that Wink We'll see how it goes. We'll probably order the parts in the next week or so. I'm on vacation for the next two weeks so I've got time to put it together.

Good on y'all for thinking of that! I see SO many people mishandling data it's infuriating... I go through hoops to keep credit card data that passes through our system safe, secure, and private, then I get CC'ed on an email where a client puts sensitive data...
Since you don't have to worry about the warranty, you can pull the drive, run DBAN on it, and replace it before shipping.

Not very easily, you can't open a Surface without breaking the case. It's a single unit basically. In any case we'll donate it to our nephew who is studying IT security, he wants to try his hand at dismantlement the thing. The good thing is that I know that if he gets into the drive, he'll just clear it and use it for spare parts Grin

My mom's pc is reporting "imminent hard drive failure" ... I went down there a week ago and tried to clone her drive to a 500SSD I had lying around (yeah, that's how I roll...) but for some reason it wouldn't copy... Not sure if it was the drive or my "drive to usb" tool, so I brought it back home and tried on my laptop... which worked... I'm going to go back down to attempt the SSD again (not sure why I think I'll have any different result...) and also take an HDD (that I tested working already) as well.

Didn't you just set that computer up for her not too long ago?

What did you get? I'm a thumballer, have been since 2006 or 7.

The new Logitech MX Ergo https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mx-ergo-wireless-trackball-mouse . It's a nice device, fits well in my hand. It'll be better when we get the new computer because then I can run the Logitech drivers, and can program it for different things. It's a thumbball and is really comfortable. Rechargable with build in batteries is also nice. Just plug it into the USB. Still usable while charging too.

All is well here. Last weekend I was going to go to a costume party but we chickened out at the last minute (was literally in the driveway, yay social anxiety (not good when both halves of a couple have it sofa )) and just went back home to drink in front of the tv Another Tounge

link1
link2

Not a bad Han Solo. Did you piece the outfit together yourself or did you buy it? My wife asked if your girl dressed up as Leia, and if so did she dress as Leia with the hair buns?

-- signature --

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
Print

Jump to: