November 19, 2017, 04:21:13 PM
News: If someone gives you crap then give them a Bad Star
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Post race ... Continued ... Again  (Read 2646 times)
msimmons
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2017, 12:14:21 PM »

Glad to hear you weren't affected too much by the storm. Hopefully the area will recover quickly.
Same here. There are still a lot of road closures that are causing havoc in terms of traffic. I know a handful of people who are displaced, and many more that I don't know. Things are starting to get back to normal for most though, the deli is planing to re-open today for one.

This past weekend I was able to get an open source project of mine to the point where I could release it into the wild. It's a log parsing framework, so someone can turn typical log line string into objects. So basically if you have logging with a specific format you can tell the framework to parse for this format, then pass it a class with specific markers on where to put the elements of the log line and it will return you an instance of that class with the data filled in. Basically set it up once and parse an entire log file into classes for handling if you wanted.

I'm pretty happy with the way it's turned out, and I'm hoping someone will find it useful.
That's awesome! What route are you taking for releasing into the wild? Making it's own website with documentation and whatnot or something like those sites that have lots of downloadable software (and tricky download buttons)?

This weekend we're going to Pilsen (where pils beer originates funny enough) to take the boys to a technical museum there. It's just on the other side of the Czech border, so a short drive for us. Looks to be fun.
That sounds very fun!

I think I'm going to give away my bedroom tv (I hardly use it as it is) and thinking of just getting a 23" monitor for one of my "spare" PCs. The current tv is really just running a "Fire stick" so swapping it out for a regular PC would be about the same. The only thing is the OS... all my spare computers have XP or less and I don't have any licenses... I think I'm going to try the flavor of linux that's specifically designed for htpcs... or just drop the $100 on a win10 license Another Tounge

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2017, 01:35:36 PM »

Same here. There are still a lot of road closures that are causing havoc in terms of traffic. I know a handful of people who are displaced, and many more that I don't know. Things are starting to get back to normal for most though, the deli is planing to re-open today for one.
That's good news.

That's awesome! What route are you taking for releasing into the wild? Making it's own website with documentation and whatnot or something like those sites that have lots of downloadable software (and tricky download buttons)?

Since I'm a Java developer I've decided to use Maven. Maven is dependency management for projects. I configure the project with an XML file, and it will download the dependencies, with the source code and API documentation. All I needed was a repository which synchronizes with the maven central repository. I found one for open source projects and it was pretty easy to setup. Then when I build my project it automatically uploads my compiled jars to the repository which is pretty cool. It also generates reports that may be of use to other developers.

My source code control is git which is hosted by BitBucket.org. That's where my issue tracking is also based. The only thing it doesn't do is host the javadoc and such (at least not that I know). They do have a wiki of sorts which is where I'll put some of the basic documentation.

Next up, I'm writing a new website page for my stinkbug account (and a continual thanks for hosting me Wink ). It'll be about me as a developer and such, and where I'll post about my projects. I might also upload my generated reports on my main site since I don't really have any other place to put it.

That sounds very fun!

We're hoping it will be. The kids are pretty excited. It's also the last weekend before they go back to school, and the normal insanity starts again. It's hard to believe my eldest is starting 7th grade already. Time sure flies.

I think I'm going to give away my bedroom tv (I hardly use it as it is) and thinking of just getting a 23" monitor for one of my "spare" PCs. The current tv is really just running a "Fire stick" so swapping it out for a regular PC would be about the same. The only thing is the OS... all my spare computers have XP or less and I don't have any licenses... I think I'm going to try the flavor of linux that's specifically designed for htpcs... or just drop the $100 on a win10 license Another Tounge

There are several linux distros that provide that, not really sure which is the better one though. My wife is just now warming to the idea of replacing our old CRT for a LED tv, so the idea of a home theater is still a pretty far off thing. Personally I'm not sure if Win10 is really worth 100 bucks.

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2017, 03:12:12 PM »

Since I'm a Java developer I've decided to use Maven. Maven is dependency management for projects. I configure the project with an XML file, and it will download the dependencies, with the source code and API documentation. All I needed was a repository which synchronizes with the maven central repository. I found one for open source projects and it was pretty easy to setup. Then when I build my project it automatically uploads my compiled jars to the repository which is pretty cool. It also generates reports that may be of use to other developers.

My source code control is git which is hosted by BitBucket.org. That's where my issue tracking is also based. The only thing it doesn't do is host the javadoc and such (at least not that I know). They do have a wiki of sorts which is where I'll put some of the basic documentation.
That all sounds pretty neat. I still struggle to keep my code straight across the dev > qa > live servers...

Next up, I'm writing a new website page for my stinkbug account (and a continual thanks for hosting me Wink ). It'll be about me as a developer and such, and where I'll post about my projects. I might also upload my generated reports on my main site since I don't really have any other place to put it.
Awesome Grin

We're hoping it will be. The kids are pretty excited. It's also the last weekend before they go back to school, and the normal insanity starts again. It's hard to believe my eldest is starting 7th grade already. Time sure flies.
Kids around here started the week before the storm... their new starting date is this coming Monday.

There are several linux distros that provide that, not really sure which is the better one though. My wife is just now warming to the idea of replacing our old CRT for a LED tv, so the idea of a home theater is still a pretty far off thing.
Well, my "home theater" is just a PC that is connected to my TV and surround sound (both bought in 2007 when I had that townhouse), nothing fancy. The bedroom is just going to be a regular computer setup, just with a larger monitor.

Personally I'm not sure if Win10 is really worth 100 bucks.
heh, well, I am a bit of a mocrosoft fanboy... One thing I like is that if I have something on any of my devices they show up on my others... I could essentially just copy things from the web based "one drive" though I guess. I have a little "micro" pc that I built back in 05, I can't even remember the password so probably going to try one of those linux distros on that regardless.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2017, 12:59:35 AM »

Gah! What a day yesterday. Spent the day troubleshooting a database problem. Everything worked perfectly in the IDE but when I compiled and deployed to a server the problem appeared. It was really annoying, basically I had to explicitly map the value to the correct data type. That worked fine.

Then I came home to find that one of my sons had taken a rock to the side of the head and we had to go to the hospital. He handled it pretty good, but while they were gluing the wound closed, my body reminded me that I hadn't eaten in over 6 hours, and so I went into the hallway and collapsed. Ended up on my back with a nurse holding my feet asking if I need some sugar tablets.

Came home had our favorite burgers for dinner and put everyone to bed.

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »

Gah! What a day yesterday. Spent the day troubleshooting a database problem. Everything worked perfectly in the IDE but when I compiled and deployed to a server the problem appeared. It was really annoying, basically I had to explicitly map the value to the correct data type. That worked fine.
I hate those types of issues!

Then I came home to find that one of my sons had taken a rock to the side of the head and we had to go to the hospital.
:shock: what happened!?

He handled it pretty good, but while they were gluing the wound closed, my body reminded me that I hadn't eaten in over 6 hours, and so I went into the hallway and collapsed. Ended up on my back with a nurse holding my feet asking if I need some sugar tablets.
Gotta be careful! Worst part of taking a spill is the risk of hitting your head in the wrong place!

Came home had our favorite burgers for dinner and put everyone to bed.
Sounds like it ended well at least smile

Nothing too exciting here. Just before the storm, the gal I've been seeing's dad went into the hospital but since she was trapped due to the storm, and then having to deal with rebuilding, this weekend was the first time she was able to get away so I drove her up there and we spent the weekend. While we were there, a coffee shop in a tiny town nearby was having it's last night ever, so we went there and participated in "trivia night." Other than my social anxiety, it was fun. I did miss a show I was looking forward to but it was nice to [almost] completely disconnect for a whole weekend. I did check my email a few times but didn't touch my laptop once.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »

I hate those types of issues!

Yeah, had another one today when I moved the project to a different repository and only checked in the code, and built a new project around the code. Then NOTHING worked :boom: so I ended up having to make some changes to make it work again, but it took me the entire day Roll Eyes

:shock: what happened!?

He was out playing with friends in a field and they got the brilliant idea to throw chunks of dirt around. One boy grabbed one that apparently had a lot of rocks, and threw it and my son just happened to be in the arc of the throw and bonk. He was pretty bloody when I came home, as his mother was wrapping the wound. Thankfully he's got a pretty hard head. He was more worried about the needing stitches rather the hole in his head laugh1 He's doing fine today and went to his first day of school with a bandage. He can't wash his hair for 8 days however.

Gotta be careful! Worst part of taking a spill is the risk of hitting your head in the wrong place!

I was good. I felt it coming on and was near the wall so just grabbed the railing and sank down pretty slowly. The one thing I remember was I felt my body twitching. Really not something I want to go through again laugh1

Sounds like it ended well at least smile

Thankfully yes it all went pretty well, and I slept pretty well.

Nothing too exciting here. Just before the storm, the gal I've been seeing's dad went into the hospital but since she was trapped due to the storm, and then having to deal with rebuilding, this weekend was the first time she was able to get away so I drove her up there and we spent the weekend. While we were there, a coffee shop in a tiny town nearby was having it's last night ever, so we went there and participated in "trivia night." Other than my social anxiety, it was fun. I did miss a show I was looking forward to but it was nice to [almost] completely disconnect for a whole weekend. I did check my email a few times but didn't touch my laptop once.

I love doing trivia nights. I suck at it but it's fun and a great way to meet people, but then again I'm a social butterfly compared to some people.

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2017, 03:53:57 PM »

Yeah, had another one today when I moved the project to a different repository and only checked in the code, and built a new project around the code. Then NOTHING worked :boom: so I ended up having to make some changes to make it work again, but it took me the entire day Roll Eyes
Same issue though? Might be worth investing the time to get your environments closer to the same specs?

He was out playing with friends in a field and they got the brilliant idea to throw chunks of dirt around. One boy grabbed one that apparently had a lot of rocks, and threw it and my son just happened to be in the arc of the throw and bonk.
I had a feeling it was something like that, boys will be boys.

He was pretty bloody when I came home, as his mother was wrapping the wound.
How did she handle it? My mom would have fainted (or worse) had it been me when I was young but I have a feeling your wife handles things like that well.

I was good. I felt it coming on and was near the wall so just grabbed the railing and sank down pretty slowly. The one thing I remember was I felt my body twitching. Really not something I want to go through again laugh1
That's good at least, I was imagining a full on face plant type pass out.

I love doing trivia nights. I suck at it but it's fun and a great way to meet people, but then again I'm a social butterfly compared to some people.
Yeah, it was pretty fun and the whole place was laughing often so it was a very positive vibe, I just have really bad social anxiety (border-lining on paranoia at its worse).
The place was not much larger than my apartment (if even) and at first the owner said we couldn't be on the same team... I'm still not sure of the reasoning, if it had to do with the number of people on each team or some rule about splitting up people who give a team an unfair advantage. If we were an old married couple or something it would have been OK, but I get to see her once or twice a week at best so I was not happy about spending "date night" together alone... We settled on "how about he doesn't play, just sits with me?" (but I was participating) and so until I realized how "for fun" (as opposed to people getting too serious about things being unfair) it was, I felt a bit awkward.
Funny thing is, she thinks I'm totally social and that I feel the need to "see & be seen," and while I do go out often, it's places I am familiar with, typically know the staff, the band, and/or am pretty much guaranteed to run into someone I know (and even then I tend to just stick to myself after saying hello). I think another reason I can be perceived as social is that I get a little "cabin fever" even though I go to work since I interact with so few people (for example, today I've talked to her on the phone, two of my co-workers, and said good morning to two others and that's pretty much every day.) whereas she deals with the public so after she gets off work she's happy to be alone Another Tounge

I volunteered to pick out a new laptop for her mother, after trying to "clean up" her computer (I removed a bunch of chrome extensions, ran malwarebytes (although I never finished that, hopefully it cleans up on it's own)). Apparently she'll click anything so I was thinking maybe a chromebook would be a good idea (I need to determine her usage, but I think it's all browser based (email & facebook). I wanted to put chrome os on my eeepc (or my old laptop) so I could try it out myself (I didn't want to hand her something I am unfamiliar with) but I have been surprised with how difficult it seems to locate... Apparently google doesn't provide a compiled version...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:08:33 PM by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »

Same issue though? Might be worth investing the time to get your environments closer to the same specs?

Figured out the problem. Apparently the dependency repository held a corrupted download. Cleared the repository and re-downloaded and all was working again.

How did she handle it? My mom would have fainted (or worse) had it been me when I was young but I have a feeling your wife handles things like that well.
My wife's a midwife. She's seen lots of blood, so it didn't bother her at all.

That's good at least, I was imagining a full on face plant type pass out.
Yeah that would have been even more embarrassing.

Yeah, it was pretty fun and the whole place was laughing often so it was a very positive vibe, I just have really bad social anxiety (border-lining on paranoia at its worse).
The place was not much larger than my apartment (if even) and at first the owner said we couldn't be on the same team... I'm still not sure of the reasoning, if it had to do with the number of people on each team or some rule about splitting up people who give a team an unfair advantage. If we were an old married couple or something it would have been OK, but I get to see her once or twice a week at best so I was not happy about spending "date night" together alone... We settled on "how about he doesn't play, just sits with me?" (but I was participating) and so until I realized how "for fun" (as opposed to people getting too serious about things being unfair) it was, I felt a bit awkward.
Funny thing is, she thinks I'm totally social and that I feel the need to "see & be seen," and while I do go out often, it's places I am familiar with, typically know the staff, the band, and/or am pretty much guaranteed to run into someone I know (and even then I tend to just stick to myself after saying hello). I think another reason I can be perceived as social is that I get a little "cabin fever" even though I go to work since I interact with so few people (for example, today I've talked to her on the phone, two of my co-workers, and said good morning to two others and that's pretty much every day.) whereas she deals with the public so after she gets off work she's happy to be alone Another Tounge

I've never really had an sort of social anxiety. My wife can be pretty shy around other people.

I volunteered to pick out a new laptop for her mother, after trying to "clean up" her computer (I removed a bunch of chrome extensions, ran malwarebytes (although I never finished that, hopefully it cleans up on it's own)). Apparently she'll click anything so I was thinking maybe a chromebook would be a good idea (I need to determine her usage, but I think it's all browser based (email & facebook). I wanted to put chrome os on my eeepc (or my old laptop) so I could try it out myself (I didn't want to hand her something I am unfamiliar with) but I have been surprised with how difficult it seems to locate... Apparently google doesn't provide a compiled version...

Maybe you can download the source code and compile it yourself? Is Chromebook a type of Linux? I've seen a Google Chrome OS Linux download with a live DVD.

http://getchrome.eu/

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »

Figured out the problem. Apparently the dependency repository held a corrupted download. Cleared the repository and re-downloaded and all was working again.
Awesome!

My wife's a midwife. She's seen lots of blood, so it didn't bother her at all.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I've never really had an sort of social anxiety. My wife can be pretty shy around other people.
You're lucky, it sucks Another Tounge Whats strange is I really don't care about people's opinion / don't get embarrassed by much when I'm in familiar territory so it doesn't make sense that I get so weirded out by unfamiliar settings. Something funny, people always say "just remind yourself people are watching/talking about/paying attn to you" but quite often I show up to places and people will come up to me and say "I heard you [something] last weekend" so obviously that's untrue in my case laugh1

Maybe you can download the source code and compile it yourself?
Short answer, yes. Long answer, I have no idea how as it doesn't seem to be in a windows environment with the jars/tars/and whathaveyou.

Is Chromebook a type of Linux? I've seen a Google Chrome OS Linux download with a live DVD.

http://getchrome.eu/
Yeah, it is and there are a few like the link you posted that have been compiled. I was looking for something straight from the source so it would be as close to a "store bought" one as possible, but I don't think that'll happen (and I don't think the pre-compiled are too far off so going to go with one of those next week.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2017, 11:38:03 AM »

And my new page is up http://jrsofty1.stinkbugonline.com/index.html.

The page is static HTML with CSS. Decided to quit with the PHP for now. What do you think of the layout? Still more work to do on it but at least I've got it up and running.

Little update. Here's why I like working with Java. Automatic API documentation http://jrsofty1.stinkbugonline.com/projects/Log-Parser/1.0.1/

Another update. I changed the URL because this makes it a little more organized, AND I'm uploading the full generated site and not just the API documents.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:06:51 PM by Jason Reed » Logged

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2017, 03:37:51 PM »

The page is static HTML with CSS. Decided to quit with the PHP for now. What do you think of the layout? Still more work to do on it but at least I've got it up and running.
The site looks great! Very clean and user friendly.

Not much excitement on my end, spent another weekend in the country. We did less this time around and it felt like the time went faster, not sure if the two are related. We did "burn the candle on both ends" by not leaving here till Friday afternoon (as opposed to morning) and leaving there Sunday morning (as opposed to afternoon) so I guess it was a bit shorter.

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2017, 12:38:17 PM »

The site looks great! Very clean and user friendly.
I still want to try to get the menu to follow as you scroll down.

Not much excitement on my end, spent another weekend in the country. We did less this time around and it felt like the time went faster, not sure if the two are related. We did "burn the candle on both ends" by not leaving here till Friday afternoon (as opposed to morning) and leaving there Sunday morning (as opposed to afternoon) so I guess it was a bit shorter.

Time in the country is always nice. Regardless how long it is it is never long enough. Gives me a chance to unplug and recharge.

-- signature --

SimonM

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2017, 10:47:17 AM »

Hello...this place still here?  sofa

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »

Hello...this place still here?  sofa

Yep well mostly me and msimmons with the occasional visit from Wrack and Bonkergud.

-- signature --

SimonM

Stars: +0/-0

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2017, 03:40:43 PM »

Well, great, why not?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print

Jump to: