August 16, 2017, 11:54:14 PM
News: If someone gives you assistance give them a Good Star
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Does a desk count as hardware?  (Read 5957 times)
msimmons
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« on: March 22, 2013, 11:13:50 AM »

Triple post!!!

The desk is complete, maybe. One fear I have at this point is it will be too heavy to raise with my monitors and whatnot on it (kinda heavy already) so I bought a scissor jack that I'll use to crank it up and down... however, that jack alone doesn't seem to raise high enough (even though the box says it should) so I might get two, and stack them Another Tounge They wont be for support or anything, just a helping hand to raise and lower.

(taken before i finished drilling the holes in the upper part of the legs)

Now I have moved out my old desk, and put in this one, here is the 'build in progress':

Here is the base, note the tiny amount of space I spend 16hrs a day in  blink

And the top slides right in:

Monitor stand in place:

These are the DIY mounting brackets I was going to use... in theory it changed the center of gravity and reduced the strain (the newer, lighter, monitors seemed to be find but I still have two older ones that are HEAVY... I think I'm just going to have to replace them).:

(here is an older shot of the mounting hardware I had to go back to):

Bottom two (main computer) mounted:

Top two (secondary computer) mounted:

Back to business as usual:

..... .....

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 11:37:01 AM »

I currently can't raise it  laugh1

First, I need a longer monitor cable for one of my monitors, it should be here Monday.
Second, I am not strong enough  flex

Once I resolve the first issue, I'm going to see if it is possible to lift from underneath. Failing that, I'll have to use two bottle jacks, one stacked on the other (since the damn things only raise about 7" and I need about 12")... although now that I type that I'm thinking I may try with my garage floor jack first, will take up more room in here but should do the trick  construction )

Another issue I am having is the PC is in my way... in the last picture, it is crowding my leg space and I can't put the chair under the desk... as of this posting, I have it turned side ways and against the wall, but I'm kicking it a lot as it is crowding my foot room Another Tounge I'm thinking of building some shelves behind the desk, which would give me some 'storage' and also a place for things like router & modem that don't need to go up and down... but it would also push the desk further into the room.

sooo right now my "issues: are:

1. how to raise desk up & down (maybe resolved):
     Issue: too heavy.
     Possible resolutions:
          a. maybe from underneath - might not be safe, might get off balance and topple desk,
          b. maybe floor jack - takes up room while not in use, takes room to use,
          c. double stacked bottle jack - might not be safe, since double stacked, it gives 2 points for them to 'kick out' and I might need to build some sort of guide/frame to prevent that.

2. how to build a better mounting bracket:
     Issue: I like the multiple points of articulation, the older monitors want to "roll under" and I fear with all the vibration of going up and down that they will not stay put.
     Possible resolution:
        a. new (lighter) monitors - costs money, old monitors function perfectly fine, just heavy

Edit: just ordered 2 20" asus monitors, they have speakers but were much lighter than anything else in that size/price range.

3. where to put PC (and router and modem):
     Issue: PC sharing space with leg/foot room, modem & router don't need to remain on desk (and their cabling might be an issue).
     Possible resolution:
        a. Shelves behind desk - pushes desk further into room.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:23:16 PM by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 03:11:55 AM »

I currently can't raise it  laugh1

First, I need a longer monitor cable for one of my monitors, it should be here Monday.
Second, I am not strong enough  flex

Looks like you need to work-out more Wink

Or maybe look at putting some sort of block-and-tackle system so you can lift it.

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »

Or maybe look at putting some sort of block-and-tackle system so you can lift it.
That's a pretty interesting thought... I could "extend" the legs upward, then attach rope or something  to the desktop. The "frame" for that might make me feel boxed in though.

[edit]
I could actually do this underneath the desk and not need the frame above eek_yello I think...
[/edit]

Here is the "shelving" I threw together to get my PC out of my foot/leg room, which also solves the modem/router placement issue.

Also bought two new monitors for the secondatry pc (top) they are a little smaller (20", replaced a 22" wide and a 19" square) but the picture is much brighter & sharper, so I can actually read them better. That computer is usually only for testing in odd browsers and running a web server when I need to work on .dll's without affecting the live server, both via VMWare.

I'm waiting on a longer cable for one of my monitors, and some cable management bits ('reusable' zip ties and zip tie mounts) so once I get all the cables under control, I'll revisit being able to adjust it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:02:33 PM by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »

The block & tackle seems to work, just needs a little tweaking...
1) I need to mount it closer to the back, because that is where weight is and the top wants to pitch back.
2) I need to mount the top bits to the upper outside of that board, where it is now I am just not getting high enough before the pulleys meet.
3) I'm not sure if I get better leverage with the top 3 being spread wide or if they should be closer together  construction

..... .....

Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 01:46:26 AM »

Of course a block and tackle is going to work, do you know how old that construction style is Wink

Looks good. Also maybe the problem for the table tilting back would be better handled with some sort of counter weight? I'm not sure how that would work though.

-- signature --

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 04:50:19 PM »

moving all the 'attachments' to the back seems to have cleared up the tilt. I think I'm going to add a wench to each side, so I can just crank it up mf_Dr_Evil

..... .....

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 06:17:32 PM »

Good work Simmo smile

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »

Good work Simmo smile

Ty Grin I went to Lowes today to get some wenches but the only thing they had was kinda huge... so hopefully the ones on amazon aren't as large, will probably order a pair tomorrow  mf_Dr_Evil

..... .....

msimmons
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 11:28:31 AM »

Finally got around to ordering wenches. I ordered 1, tested it out, then ordered the 2nd. Cranks up and down pretty easily and I've been standing about 30% of the day the past few days (today my legs are too tired (which is utterly sad))

I had a slight issue with the monitor height being pretty different from sitting to standing, meaning my eye:elbow ratio was changing. That brought my attention to the fact that I sit like I'm in a recliner Another Tounge So I raised my monitors up, forcing me to sit up... In doing that, I got frustrated with trying to get my 'custom' monitor stand to put the monitors exactly how I wanted so I've given up on that and have a "real" quad monitor stand on the way.

Now that I think I've figured out all the ins & outs, I think i'm going to build another version of my desk.
I could just modify this one, but that leaves me w/o a desk (and therefor computers) while I'm doing it. I think I've found solutions for all the issues I had, and I'll be sure to get MY tools that I need out of storage so that all my cuts and joints are accurate.

I came up with a solution for the top section wanting to tip backward, I'll add a piece of 2x4 on the outside (of the sides) of the bottom of the top "leg" that will fill the space between the two legs of the bottom half, so the bottom legs for a track for it to go up & down.

That piece will also serve as a place to mount the lower pulley, and I'll move the block & tackle and wench setup to the outside of the desk. I'm still unsure if the block & tackle works better with the top pulleys spread out or grouped together though.

I also made this desk 1.5" too high, and possibly "deeper" than needed. ('ll add to this list as I think of modifications  construction )

edit: forgot a pic... ignore the mess  jamie

edit2: I think I'm just going to correct this desk, it should only be 6 - 8 cuts. My new monitor stand arrived today, so since I'll be rearranging monitors I may as well do it all today (or tomorrow)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:56:21 AM by msimmons » Logged

..... .....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: