November 19, 2017, 04:37:33 PM
News: If your question is answered please put [RESOLVED] in the subject of the initial message.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: network monitoring newbie questions  (Read 2146 times)
msimmons
Administrator

Stars: +3/-0

« on: May 28, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »

Ok, I will be the first to admit that networking is my weakest point. I understand the physical aspects and a lot of the non physical but when it comes down to segmenting and different things I just get lost.

My issue is this, all day yesterday I had users calling telling me "the internet is very slow," and I was feeling it as well. The ISP was saying that we wern't overusing our bandwidth but the router itself was being maxed.

This morning I rebooted the ISPs router, no change, then I rebooted our firewall and things seem ok again (getting 2000kb instead of 12kb down).

So maybe it was just the firewall, maybe it wasnt... and herein lies my question:

How would I know, what tools can I use to tell wtf is going on and how do I use them. Right now I have wire shark (used to be called etherial) running but for the most part I'm not too sure what it all means Another Tounge

..... .....

TootIrowl

Stars: +0/-0

http://www.howtospeedupmycomputer.net/ - how to speed up my pc

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:34:36 PM »

thanks Thanks Rdee, you have pointed me in the right direction, now  I need to read thru all this to work it out,  that will take time but I am sure the answer is in there somewhere,  thank you again... Hutch.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: