December 16, 2017, 05:22:34 PM
News: If someone gives you assistance give them a Good Star
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Software Planning ... Anyone know of a howto course?  (Read 10256 times)
Jason Reed
Administrator

Stars: +4/-0

Pure Evil Administrator

« on: March 26, 2008, 09:34:05 AM »

Ok as you might have read I'm working on building my own site framework for my website instead of using everyone else's ideas and work. Of course I've underestimated the planning needed to design a complicated bit of software.

So my question to you learned types here is how does one go about doing a proper planning for designing software? Does anyone have any links that would help me learn this bit of software development? What are the pitfalls I need to watch out for? What are the best tools for the job?

-- signature --

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

Stars: +3/-0

Don't look back. Look in the mirror to look back.

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 02:40:48 PM »

When I was doing MCSD (a while back) we had a module called "Analyzing Requirements and Defining Solution Architectures". Books for it helped me but I would give more points to the trainer I had.

Anyways for the latest .NET the exam is here http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsd/requirementsdotnet.mspx#EQDAC

As for the question you asked,

When you say website framework I am assuming you meant some sort of your own custom CMS?

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:30:27 PM »

Well yeah something that will eventually support my CMS. However, I want the website to handle more than just normal content. I want it to have the capability to handle everything I feel like building modules for. The basic or base system would only handle the templates and how to determine what modules to load and run as well as security and authentication. Everything else will run as a module and I can add to them as I want.

I'm looking at using Visio and UML to try to layout the architecture.

-- signature --

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 03:35:14 PM »

Well we have a CMS in the office we use to build all out client websites and it supports adding new modules along with the core modules. But for some stupid reasons we call them "ELEMENT" rather than "MODULE".

Mind asking me what language & what database system you are using? I don't mind helping out and getting the name out if using .NET and SQL Server smile

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »

Sorry since it is web I'm doing it in PHP and MySQL (because that is what my host runs Wink) I am thinking that maybe after I get it going that I might add some desktop tools to go along with it. But first I need to get the main part out of the way.

I'm really only doing it because I'm tired of using everyone else's applications and having them not work well together. I want to do it myself and have everything I want under one roof so to speak. I'm going to call it CIE or Content Is Everything Wink

-- signature --

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 06:57:08 PM »

Yeah make sense JR.

There is no system you get ready made which can provide things exactly as you want.

Sorry but I can't help you with the coding in PHP and MySql but I will be happy to share any ideas if you have specific questions about the design itself.

BTW nice name smile

Jason Reed
Administrator

Pure Evil Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 03:25:16 AM »

Thanks smile

I would say my biggest problem is that it is a complicated piece of work and the way everything fits together I end up getting myself a bit muddled. So I'm trying to do something to help me visualize my project. That's the reason I'm trying to use Visio to help me get a better picture of what the code should be doing and how the different pieces work together. I'm not 100% sure I'm using it like it is suppose to be used but what the hell if it helps it helps Grin

-- signature --

Slowhand
Supporters

Stars: +0/-0

Awards:
Topic Necromancer

I code C#!

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 04:06:39 AM »

- Write down all requirements (everything you want the system to be able to do, in very short sentences)
- Expand those short sentences to really define what those requirements mean.
- Draw up some diagrams to visualize the data flows or to see how different modules interact.
- Based on your initial design, create a database design.
- Start building it
- Create tests to see if the application does what your requirements say it should (or shouldn't)

These are only a few steps in the process of designing and creating an application. Since you are both customer, designer and programmer, there are certain steps I left out.

wrack
Master of TMEOotAP

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 08:01:02 PM »

Yeah pretty much like what slowie said  jamie and Visio should be able to do that all and you might want to use Microsoft Project if you are into timelining..!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: